• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STEPS Unlocker Android & Windows App for changing assistant/bike info and etc

valium64

Sep 16, 2018
Massa, Italy
I bought the android license and finally got to change the limit from 25 to 32 km/h. Looking forward to trying the bike this afternoon :)

I saw that this app with the current 4.6.1 firmware doesn't allow derestricting, unless I downgrade to 4.3.2. Are there any plans to allow derestricting with 4.6.1 in the future? I think the Emax app for Windows already does that.
Only changing the tyre circumference in the app, not working directly on the speed limit.

b4rt

May 15, 2019
CH
30euro for full featured Android App
15euro for Windows

p.s. I already gave 30+ free licenses as offered (you can calculate how much it would cost for other tools.). Several guys ask more than one license (for mom, for dad, for girlfriend and etc) and promise to make a donate. No one made a donation! This is real funny!
ok so where i have to send the money?
request license over android app i think?

valium64

Sep 16, 2018
Massa, Italy
However I have already tried this morning the complete and working version on E8000, all the settable parameters work perfectly and the connection is stable. To connect or do it directly at the ebike ignition or you can do it later through the display connection menu, so simple, fast and functional even for minor adjustments along the way.

Berakotxa

May 20, 2019
Spain
Good morning. I will sugest to vadll dont let the user rise the max power more then 500w on the app, please. Make it throw a request like the license so that way you can tell them that it could brake the motor and dont have warranty from shumano, like the other user, please.

One more thing, whenever shimano launches a new firmware, it would be perfect to have fast información and support to know if the app would work or it would have more restictions to fine tune the parametres, like firmwares after 4.3.2.

Just sugestions

Thanks you vadll

valium64

Sep 16, 2018
Massa, Italy
There is already a clear message both on the PC software and on the Android app that says that changing the maximum powers by raising them can cause irreparable damage to the motors, if one notices the warnings and decides to proceed the problem is no longer the developer but the user that he is unconscious or otherwise decides to run the danger on his own initiative and responsibility.

Berakotxa

May 20, 2019
Spain
There is already a clear message both on the PC software and on the Android app that says that changing the maximum powers by raising them can cause irreparable damage to the motors, if one notices the warnings and decides to proceed the problem is no longer the developer but the user that he is unconscious or otherwise decides to run the danger on his own initiative and responsibility.
Ok
What about the firmwares? Is that a good idea?

valium64

Sep 16, 2018
Massa, Italy
About the firmware what?
For now there are no third-party applications that allow the upgrade, indeed, the only one that instead requires a custom firmware is Eplus, which in fact besides being very expensive is also the most dangerous for the purposes of the guarantee and binding to the installer every time you need to adjust or tune something or even upgrade, because all the others, to take advantage of their full potential, it is often better not to update to the latest firmware that practically does not bring never any real improvements on the functionalitu but instead tend to try to block features from non-Shimano programs.

Berakotxa

May 20, 2019
Spain
to take advantage of their full potential, it is often better not to update to the latest firmware that practically does not bring never any real improvements on the functionalitu but instead tend to try to block features from non-Shimano programs.

This, ok, thanks.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Good morning. I will sugest to vadll dont let the user rise the max power more then 500w on the app, please. Make it throw a request like the license so that way you can tell them that it could brake the motor and dont have warranty from shumano, like the other user, please.
Without a license it's not possible to set the power more than 500W.

One more thing, whenever shimano launches a new firmware, it would be perfect to have fast información and support to know if the app would work or it would have more restictions to fine tune the parametres, like firmwares after 4.3.2.
I'll publish a new version today. It will inform user what functions are supported or not with a current firmware.

Berakotxa

May 20, 2019
Spain
Without a license it's not possible to set the power more than 500W.

I'll publish a new version today. It will inform user what functions are supported or not with a current firmware.

Perfect, thanks!!!

Its raining here for like 5 days and i cant ride to see the bike changes, but the app has good interface, the blutooth connects on the first attempt and the feedback with vadll is perfect too.

Soon will be a new shimano firmware for the motor, the 4.7.0. im not going to update if it makes restrictions on third-party apps.

Berakotxa

May 20, 2019
Spain
Ooohh!!!! Vadll, i have seen on your web that we can downgrade the motor firmware with android phone and blutooth, without the cable. Is that correct?

kiwikodi

Jun 2, 2019
UK
So I’m all done. I did find the connectivity via BT was shockingly bad to the point the phone had to be directly under the panel. Anyway, failed firmware, E013 codes, several app reinstalls and I’m now in the US.

Question, as I’ve had to downgrade to 4.6.1 to change region, can I now reinstall 4.7.0 or will that kill the change? If not is there a point ie what was different between 4.6.1 and 4.7.0?

Skrix

May 1, 2019
Denmark
is the app still alive and does the creator still reply to emails ?:) just checking. getting a Shimano Bike next week

Hasse Birkmose

Jul 19, 2019
Denmark
Used steps unlocker (IOS)a week ago to change to us region and smaller wheel circumference. Super easy and a very different riding experience ;-)
Today on my forest commute i got error E043 and motor shut down.
The error means firmware problem.
Restarted and no problem for the rest of the ride.
Worried.... what is going on here and have others had the same experience?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Used steps unlocker a week ago to change to us region and smaller wheel circumference. Super easy and a very different riding experience ;-)
Today on my forest commute i got error E043 and motor shut down.
The error means firmware problem.
Restarted and no problem for the rest of the ride.
Worried.... what is going on here and have others had the same experience?
I got this on 100% stock bike without any modifications. It's Shimano...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles