• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

Ergon_the_saddler

Feb 1, 2024
Denmark
Hi Vadll,

Do you know how the "Regulation change history" for a DU-EP800 works?

I had a user report with a red warning.
Then after reseting to default settings its no longer marked red but there is a timestamp for a regulation change.

Is this all the information the DU stores, that a change has taken place only, or dose it store more information?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Hi Vadll,

Do you know how the "Regulation change history" for a DU-EP800 works?

I had a user report with a red warning.
Then after reseting to default settings its no longer marked red but there is a timestamp for a regulation change.

Is this all the information the DU stores, that a change has taken place only, or dose it store more information?
This is not STRide related question. Anyway, STUnlocker informs you which settings are not default and you HAVE TO change all settings back to default/stock before visiting dealer/shop center.

Ergon_the_saddler

Feb 1, 2024
Denmark
This is not STRide related question. Anyway, STUnlocker informs you which settings are not default and you HAVE TO change all settings back to default/stock before visiting dealer/shop center.
Right, my mistake. I just jumped into an active conversation with you in it. Should have been more active in choosing the right thread.

Still, do you have any knowledge about what happens on the Shimano side of things and how permanent/visible they will be?

Ergon_the_saddler

Feb 1, 2024
Denmark
I understand that the full accountability lies with me as a user, i am not questioning that and i understand your apprehensive reaction to my question. I am in no way waving my own total responsibility for using the software. I am only here asking for information that you may or may not possess about how shimano's "Regulation change history" works. Call it academy curiosity i you will :)

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
You can see the "regulation log" in the STUnlocker. STUnlocker does not write into the log any data. Regulation log is used by Shimano to compare current settings of the motor with the factory settings. If you change settings to default you'll not see any warnings in Shimano software and Shimano will not understand if your bike was derestricted or not.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
EP801/EP6 overall Torque/Power settings are now adjustable in then new 1.18 version
So it's possible to make EP801/EP6 RS into the full power motor via Bluetooth

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles