Specialized Mission Control App v2.x Now Available

Boots3150

Sep 24, 2018
Melbourne
So I’m keen to hear about anyone who has tried 27.5 on the latest Levo but wondering for you mission control experts where you change the wheel circumference in the latest app.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
So I’m keen to hear about anyone who has tried 27.5 on the latest Levo but wondering for you mission control experts where you change the wheel circumference in the latest app.

That’s an easy answer, you cannot change wheel circumference in the new app.... it is fixed by specialized even they sell the bike as a dual wheel size bike.

Karsten

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
That’s an easy answer, you cannot change wheel circumference in the new app.... it is fixed by specialized even they sell the bike as a dual wheel size bike.
Karsten

giphy.gif

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Correct me if i am wrong, but every single brand out there applies the same logic to warranties when it comes to derestciting, or using 3rd party apps.

I take the attitude that its up to me what i do to my bike, but i know that some of the thing i might do (e.g a respray) might but me in a difficult position if i need to warranty anything.

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada

Karsten
So if one puts on 27.5" wheels - can the Mission Control app still be used?
Does the speed at which the motor cuts out change on the 27.5" wheels?

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
So if one puts on 27.5" wheels - can the Mission Control app still be used?
Does the speed at which the motor cuts out change on the 27.5" wheels?

The short answer is yes as your wheel circumference will change with a 27.5 wheel.

Karsten

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
i get the derestricting bit but the rest is like saying loading chrome onto my macbook will invalidate the warrenty!

Not to mention the illegal spying on the individual user of the app.

Karsten

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
do we know exactly what data it collects? if its bike performance data only then thats ok isnt it as its not personal

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
do we know exactly what data it collects? if its bike performance data only then thats ok isnt it as its not personal

The short answer is again no based on what they are writing in their support pages - Specialized do not list exactly WHAT they are logging and WHO they are sharing it with.

Bottom line, they are only allowed to do data logging if I accept it as a end user - With reference to the EU Privacy Act it is illegal to do any type of logging without end user acceptance.

Karsten

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
The short answer is yes as your wheel circumference will change with a 27.5 wheel.

Karsten
Do you know whether the maximum speed before motor cut-off will be smaller or greater with the 27.5" wheels?
Do you think Specialized could/will fix this?

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Do you know whether the maximum speed before motor cut-off will be smaller or greater with the 27.5" wheels?
Do you think Specialized could/will fix this?

You could adjust it in the previous version so why they have removed the feature is beyond my understanding, they will have to bring that feature back or it will not make sense to sell it as a dual wheel size bike.
Specialized is reading/reacting on this forum but apparently they only react to positive stuff about their products......

Karsten

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
but do they sell the 2019 as a dual wheelsize bike? I didnt think they did.
but of course they still need to cater for the older bikes but so far it doesnt look like they are going to.
as somebody else said the fact that its an electronic bike means the app is a major part of the package, Whats going to happen to all the 2018 and older users when the current mission control app ceases to exist in November.
I have been buying specialized bikes for about 20 years and if you add up just the money I have spent on ebikes in the last 2-3 years, 3 turbo levos and one kenevo it comes to about £19 grand
and thats not counting 2 stumpjumpers and and eduro!
I am begining to feel a bit left out

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Well if you are one of the unfortunate people who downloaded the MC 2.0, then realized it didn't work with old app there, and deleted that to allow the new to work, then you can't go back. The old is already gone and effectively seized working for you. We are beating a dead horse here. At this point only 3rd party like BLEVo work satisfactory. So thats your choice, or wait until Specialized release something that works.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My understanding is you can run 27.5 plus on the 19 levo if you want, though no option to buy with them

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
My understanding is you can run 27.5 plus on the 19 levo if you want, though no option to buy with them

Specialized dealers are still selling 2018 models that is officially sold as dual wheel size bikes but the official software doesn’t support it. Honestly that is not very professional from my perspective.

Karsten

Hannes_3000

Sep 14, 2018
Stuttgart
Specialized dealers are still selling 2018 models that is officially sold as dual wheel size bikes but the official software doesn’t support it. Honestly that is not very professional from my perspective.

Karsten

The 2019 models support both whellsizes as well. You can also change the whole geometry of the 2019 bikes with a flip chip if you go from 29" to 27,5". However for the moment only the retailer can change the wheelsize with the internal service tool (TurboStudio).
Doesn't make too much sense if you ask me, at least they should allow changes within a defined range in the MC App like the did before (2000 - 2400mm).

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
The 2019 models support both whellsizes as well. You can also change the whole geometry of the 2019 bikes with a flip chip if you go from 29" to 27,5". However for the moment only the retailer can change the wheelsize with the internal service tool (TurboStudio).
Doesn't make too much sense if you ask me, at least they should allow changes within a defined range in the MC App like the did before (2000 - 2400mm).
Do you mean to say the retailer can input the smaller wheel size (27.5") with the internal service tool. so that the motor can determine riding speeds correctly?

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
And i dont have to pay for that? As you change different tires you can visit your LBS! :ROFLMAO:
I really think i should sell my Levo. Maybe Haibike?

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
If I had deleted the old app, I would be requesting that Spesh find a workaround for users. I believe it may be possible for them to host the app themselves, though not sure if App Store allows multiple app revisions. Might have imagined this!

Regarding the data logging, I am not sure this is actually a breach of GDPR. Would have expected Spesh to run that through the lawyers. From a brief skim of the rules, maybe they don’t need your permission if they have a legal obligation to ensure the limiter is intact. Would be good to hear them comment, especially on why they haven’t offered opt in as a choice.

Maybe the warranty stuff is a bit blown out of proportion. But I do get their position. I don’t have a clue what their code does, but I can see it’s possible for a 3rd party app to reduce battery lifespan or cause motor issues. Why wouldn’t they want to protect themselves from that. Have there actually been reported cases of warranty refusal?

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Regarding the data logging, I am not sure this is actually a breach of GDPR. Would have expected Spesh to run that through the lawyers. From a brief skim of the rules, maybe they don’t need your permission if they have a legal obligation to ensure the limiter is intact. Would be good to hear them comment, especially on why they haven’t offered opt in as a choice.

In my opinion it is indeed a very clear violation as they do not clearly inform you that they are data logging during your initial installation process. According to the Privacy Act they are to inform end user WHAT they are logging and WHO they are sharing it with. That law covers software, home pages on the Internet etc. Facebook is a very good example of that where they were forced to come out of the closet and explain in details what they were doing with the information of the individuals with a profile.

Karsten

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Wait for customer care (on here) to clarify. But hosting the app is easy. Name it something else and upload top the app store and tell users to use that. You can have as many apps as you like so to me this would already have been taken care of. But..., the old MC app was quite buggy itself, but at-least the main features worked most of the time.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
the waranty stuff is blown out of proportion but its also misunderstood for instance the derestricting thing is the users responsability not specialized, they comply with the law by producing a suitably restricted bike, its the user that is breaking the law by derestricting the bike and IF there were any prosecution for this offence it would be the user not specialized as at the point of sale they complied with the law.
maybe specialized can/will make it harder to derestrict but they can never stop it and maybe they shouldnt.
as far as I know apart from being able to derestrict the apps do not do anything that mission control doesnt, except the third party app display the motors output parameters in a much better way than mission control does. but none of them make the motor produce more power than the designers intended. Even when derestricted it does not make the motor produce more power.
And if specialized had produced a good app in the first place maybe there would be no need for third party apps,
and for the record the bike has always been able to be derestricted by both a software hack and a hardware hack long before there were any third party apps

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Just to clarify, consent is not the only way to collect personal data:

Lawful basis for processing[edit]
Unless a data subject has provided informed consent to data processing for one or more purposes, personal data may not be processed unless there is at least one legal basis to do so. According to Article 6, the lawful puposes are:[10]
  • (a) If the data subject has given consent to the processing of his or her personal data;
  • (b) To fulfill contractual obligations with a data subject, or for tasks at the request of a data subject who is in the process of entering into a contract;
  • (c) To comply with a data controller's legal obligations;
  • (d) To protect the vital interests of a data subject or another individual;
  • (e) To perform a task in the public interest or in official authority;
  • (f) For the legitimate interests of a data controller or a third party, unless these interests are overridden by interests of the data subject or her or his rights according to the Charter of Fundamental Rights(especially in the case of children).
Although who knows what f actually means in practice. It will depend on what they're collecting if it actually counts as personal data too.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
After a little more digging within their privacy policy I guess that this is what they officially log:

We also automatically collect certain other information, including:

• information about your purchases and purchase history;
  • frequency of rides on your bicycle;
  • starting location and ending location of your rides;
  • power consumption during your rides;
  • error occurrences with respect to the battery of the bicycle;
  • motor and bicycle serial numbers and the hardware version you are using;
  • rider behaviour (using analytics), rider preferences, ride history, rider performance statistics (e.g., length of rides, distance covered;
  • elevation gain & loss, rider power, cadence, speed, average speed and elevation gain uphill);
  • data from chat features; and
  • billing history, log data and error reporting.
Some of the above mentioned date I would rate as highly personal and especially your whereabouts. If this data came in the wrong hands, thieves would know exactly where to go and steal a Levo if you often initiate your ride from your home address.

Karsten

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Yep, that would definitely be one I would not be happy with. Don't you think a lot of that stuff is used by the app though? By logging, maybe they just mean it's saved on your device?

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Yep, that would definitely be one I would not be happy with. Don't you think a lot of that stuff is used by the app though? By logging, maybe they just mean it's saved on your device?

I'm not a native English speaker but by the wording "automatically collect" and emphasis on the word "collect", I do believe that there is a lot more in it than just saving the information locally. Lots of the above mentioned data would not make sense to keep locally as it is already known by the app.

Karsten

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
After a little more digging within their privacy policy I guess that this is what they officially log:

We also automatically collect certain other information, including:

• information about your purchases and purchase history;
  • frequency of rides on your bicycle;
  • starting location and ending location of your rides;
  • power consumption during your rides;
  • error occurrences with respect to the battery of the bicycle;
  • motor and bicycle serial numbers and the hardware version you are using;
  • rider behaviour (using analytics), rider preferences, ride history, rider performance statistics (e.g., length of rides, distance covered;
  • elevation gain & loss, rider power, cadence, speed, average speed and elevation gain uphill);
  • data from chat features; and
  • billing history, log data and error reporting.
Some of the above mentioned date I would rate as highly personal and especially your whereabouts. If this data came in the wrong hands, thieves would know exactly where to go and steal a Levo if you often initiate your ride from your home address.

Karsten

Many of you have asked questions about data collection and privacy. I took some time to research an accurate response because there are two levels to the answer: -

1. What does our privacy policy legally permit us to collect? Thanks to Karsten for posting that above, indeed that is copied directly from the privacy policy that all users accept when signing up to use Mission Control.
  2. What data do we actually collect & why do we collect it? In practice we collect different data at different moments in time - I’ll split this into ride data and bike technical data.
Ride Data. If you don’t record a ride, we don’t collect or store anything about your ride or location.

WHAT: If you DO record the ride, we create a .fit file on your phone and then back this up on our cloud servers – just like Strava does, for example. The .fit file format was originally developed by Garmin and interested users can do further research online.

WHY: Simply put, riders told us that if they recorded rides via Mission Control they expected us to back them up. One of the largest complaints we had from previous Mission Control users was that if they deleted the app or lost/upgraded their phone all of their rides disappeared. Therefore a key design feature for us with a newer app was to store rides for our riders so that they will never lose them - even if they change phones.

Bike technical data.

WHAT: Our bikes collect & store limited technical data on-board, Mission Control accesses these logs and uploads key product engineering data to our cloud-servers in three scenarios. 1) When you change any parameters on the Mission Control tuning screen. 2) If you open any of the Diagnostic screens. 3) If the bike has an error state.

WHY: We want to understand how our bikes are performing in the field, how riders are using them and what is going wrong. We also wanted to equip our Rider-care and Retail service teams with the ability to see historical fault data, in case an error is intermittent. Our sole aim here is to make better products, create happier riders and sell more bikes in the process.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles