Replacement ZEB Fork For Rail

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
I am looking for the ZEB fork that comes on the 9.8 rail.
Anyone know where I can buy one? These are special as they have an different crown which is much wider than normal. Any help would be appreciated
RockShox ZEB Ultimate, DebonAir spring, Charger 2.1 RC2 damper, e-MTB optimzed crown, tapered steerer, 44mm offset, Boost110, 15mm Maxle Stealth, 160mm travel

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
OEM only, isn't it? If so it won't be available aftermarket.

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
OEM only, isn't it? If so it won't be available aftermarket.

So if I want to upgrade my fork on my 9.7 you dont think there is an option for that? If that is the case and that is the way it will be I just bought my first and last Trek two days ago. That is not a good business plan

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
Jeez if you're two days into Trek ownership & unhappy with it you've definitely bought the wrong bike.
I bought the bike with the SPEC I could update from. Since I knew there was a ZEB available, I did not feel too worried about getting the better fork. I had no intentions on keeping the suspension that the 9.7 comes with. Everyone buys at a certain level as that is what works best with either their budgets, or has most of the SPEC on it that they need, and plan to upgrade. I know very few of my MTB buddies that buy a bike and leave it as it is. I love love love upgrading my bikes and making it mine. I am sure I am not alone as I see many many companies out there that sell after market parts and make a good living at it. So, in closing, I bought the right bike for me to upgrade but not realizing, if its true, that there may be an item on it that cannot be upgraded to the same part that is spec'd on the same bike!

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Looks like your 9.7 came with the same spec as my 7 apart from the sram drivetrain.
When I looked up ZEB for sale they come with a 44mm offset which I think may be the only thing that would matter.

I have updated mine recently to lyrik spec & coil -big difference to the bike.
EDIT - don't know why it shows up as european as I googled US?
Also that one only has the RC charger.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I am looking for the ZEB fork that comes on the 9.8 rail.
Anyone know where I can buy one? These are special as they have an different crown which is much wider than normal.
From TREK obviously
So if I want to upgrade my fork on my 9.7 you dont think there is an option for that? If that is the case and that is the way it will be I just bought my first and last Trek two days ago. That is not a good business plan
what are you talking about? Surely you can fit any fork you want.

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
Looks like your 9.7 came with the same spec as my 7 apart from the sram drivetrain.
When I looked up ZEB for sale they come with a 44mm offset which I think may be the only thing that would matter.

I have updated mine recently to lyrik spec & coil -big difference to the bike.
EDIT - don't know why it shows up as european as I googled US?
Also that one only has the RC charger.
that is interesting to me if I cant get the ZEBs for sure. I am going to work a bit more with these forks, but I know I will want something more. I just dont think I will like the look of it if I get a fork with a regular crown. I see some have done it as they do fit, but the frame is wider so it has some overhang which probably only hinders the aesthetics. Thanks for your input.

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
Well sure, you can buy any (available) new fork you want - Rockshox will happily sell you a Zeb, just not the exact same model that came with the Rail.
but the problem is with the way it looks. I dont need that model, just need that top crown. If ya have a rail, you know what I mean. The bottom of the steer tube is much wider than any other bike I've seen. Know what I mean?

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
From TREK obviously

what are you talking about? Surely you can fit any fork you want.
Do you have a rail? If ya do, you will see that what Trek is calling an Ebike optimized fork or something like that means that the frame is much wider and they put a fork on it with a really fat crown. its not a standard crown.

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
The crown diameter difference between the emtb and non emtb zeb is barely noticeable on the bike.
i didn’t let that turn me off my zeb ultimate purchase. Way stiffer than the lyrik/yari chassis.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Seriously?

TREK actually sold you the rail with a fork that doesn't have the TREK Zeb Emtb crown. how could you possibly think the bike needs it.

Last edited:

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
Thats a good testimony, any way you can take a picture of it??? Thank you!
B2A29072-D3A3-4DB6-A934-042E6D731018.jpeg

14D895AB-194F-4DB0-9D2D-B68643337A55.png

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
Seriously?

TREK actually sold you the rail with a fork that doesn't have the TREK Zeb Emtb crown. how could you possibly think the bike needs it.
Correct, it does not have the ZEB, but it does have the Rockshox with the same funky crown. Make sense? The frames are the same on the 9.7 to 9.9.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
but it does have the Rockshox with the same funky crown
So TREK managed to run the SAME "funky crown" on both a 35mm and 38mm stanchion fork?
Make sense?
No

Either way, you don't need a funky crown.
Rockshox' ZEB Emtb fork is actually the worst fork in the ZEB line up so just buy a normal one

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I have the aftermarket Zeb without the thicker crown. It doesn’t look quite as neat as the one that comes stock but I forgot about it quite quickly.

I contacted RockShox about it already, they mention that it is only aesthetically different, no performance increases on the Trek Zeb specific one.

Sean1.0

Aug 2, 2020
Kernowshire
So TREK managed to run the SAME "funky crown" on both a 35mm and 38mm stanchion fork?

No

Either way, you don't need a funky crown.
Rockshox' ZEB Emtb fork is actually the worst fork in the ZEB line up so just buy a normal one

I think he means it's the same 'funky' crown as in the special wider diameter of the OE Trek crowns around the steerer where it meets the oversized Rail headtube ... so in context it's fair to say it's the same 'funky crown' on the 35mm and 38mm.

I'm pretty sure the 'funky crown' is not found on the worst in the line up Zeb "Emtb" fork that is available after market anyway ... that also doesn't have the funky oversize crown that Trek are using OE.

So to avoid confusion (or add to it if I am wrong) I think there are 3 forks / crowns being referred to ...

1 : The OE Trek specific 'funky' crown... OE only and oversized around the steerer to match the fat Rail headtube.
2: Standard ... standard crown a bit smaller than the OE oversize funky one but fits fine and looks OK.
3: "EMTB version" ... probly on some bikes OE and also available after market... softer tune ? ... maybe slightly thicker crown (maybe not) but not the same oversize around the steerer as the OE Trek one.

I believe that there may be a Trek Specific CSU (the holy funky crown?) available as a part ... but sounds like an expensive faff to buy the whole upper just to get the funk.

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
I have the aftermarket Zeb without the thicker crown. It doesn’t look quite as neat as the one that comes stock but I forgot about it quite quickly.

I contacted RockShox about it already, they mention that it is only aesthetically different, no performance increases on the Trek Zeb specific one.
Good to know, thanks for clearing that up. I'll be watching your channel to see if you can show the difference. As type "A" as I am about my EMTB, I know its gonna bug me but hopefully not. Again, thats Rob!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
3: "EMTB version" ... probly on some bikes OE and also available after market... softer tune ? ... maybe slightly thicker crown (maybe not) but not the same oversize around the steerer as the OE Trek one.
Let's not forget the all important "EMTB" decal ;)

*I'm still laughing that Rockshox actually put that as a feature in the fork specs

EMTB decal.jpg

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I had to read this 2-3 times, but I'm not so smart in any case. If I would be making an upgrade to my just bought EMTB, I would absolutely look something else than some Trek OEM-specific pseudo-feature for EMTB-bikes.

Get coilfork. Get Öhlins. Get much nicer stickers and colors.

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
but the problem is with the way it looks. I dont need that model, just need that top crown. If ya have a rail, you know what I mean. The bottom of the steer tube is much wider than any other bike I've seen. Know what I mean?

Maybe it’s just me, but I took the stock fork off my Rail & put a different make on, without the weird big stepped crown, and haven’t ever looked at it again.

total non issue.

AME

Mar 28, 2019
Europe
Hi amd congratulations on your new bike?

I did some researcg and i think the Zeb-R is n emtb fork with the larger crown. It can be updated with the Ultimate daamper and spring. It is a bit more expensive than an Ultimate to go this route.

Anyway- this is my plan when i will upgrade my Rail 5

Reactions: JMD

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
If you really want the additional stiffness of 38mm uppers then your choices are limited. Bear in mind that Zeb's will damage a medium and small rail if the knock block fails as the adjusters foul the frame. You already have a perfectly good Yari chassis, why not throw in a 2021 170mm debonair air rod and the R2C charger 2.1 upgrade? You'll have a set of lyriks for peanuts.

The Zeb on the 9 & 9.8 isn't the 'emtb' model, it's got the charger 2.1 RC damper. It's impossible to have a softer compression tune in a charger 2.1 they're already ridiculously soft.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles