Replacement ZEB Fork For Rail

Sean1.0

Aug 2, 2020
Kernowshire
Hi amd congratulations on your new bike?

I did some researcg and i think the Zeb-R is n emtb fork with the larger crown. It can be updated with the Ultimate daamper and spring. It is a bit more expensive than an Ultimate to go this route.

Anyway- this is my plan when i will upgrade my Rail 5

I am happy to be corrected but as I posted earlier and to avoid ongoing confusion... unless confirmed otherwise I'm pretty sure the ZEB-R "emtb" model does not have same oversize crown as the Trek OE versions... so I wouldn't be so quick to go spending extra on that to convert it to Ultimate spec as you will still not end up with the same oversize crown at the steerer as the OE.

The Rail is a weapon and I'm fully stoked to have picked one up recently but all this proprietary bollox reminds me why I've never owned a Trek, Spesh or (insert large corporate brand here) before.

AME

Mar 28, 2019
Europe
Well, ofcoarse i could be wrong but this is what i have been told.

If you want Fox 38 with big crown a guy on facebook in the Treck ownersthread has the partnumer. This was a fork that did not exist.

To me, Fox is to expensive.

C09C4E70-A67D-426F-839A-62C979D5AEB1.jpeg

Sean1.0

Aug 2, 2020
Kernowshire
I don't think that Fox 38 910-20-881 you mention has the oversized crown diameter at the steerer / headtube like the Trek OE forks either... it's the Ebike+ version of the Fox 38. I suspect the crown diameter may even be a few mm smaller than the regular Zeb if anything.

I think there is some confusion regards the search for the oversized funky Trek OE only crowns vs the regular after market Fox and Rockshox 'ebike' model forks with their 'ebike' crowns (and tunes) ... afaik they are not the same thing.

Would be good to get a few decent pics to clarify what the deal is.

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
I had to read this 2-3 times, but I'm not so smart in any case. If I would be making an upgrade to my just bought EMTB, I would absolutely look something else than some Trek OEM-specific pseudo-feature for EMTB-bikes.

Get coilfork. Get Öhlins. Get much nicer stickers and colors.
I agree with you 90%, and that other 10% sure would like the fork crown to blend in with the Frame like it should. My other bikes currently run EXT, but thought I would try something different.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Here is a picture I found on another post showing how the fork has a smaller crown which does not blend in size wise with the frame. As you can see, the crown of this fork is smaller. The OEM forks on the Trek rails are larger and they blend in with the frame.
I own same beauty fault in my Rail 5 as I changed OEM Rockshox Gold 35RL to Cane Creek Helm MK1 Coil. The 35RL protected the headset bearing better as the crown was wider.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Correct, not a ZEB, but the same appearance. Small crown equals this appearance on the Rail Frame.
Yes but the Zeb has a bigger crown anyway that the Yari/Lyric - on my bike I had the opposite worry when fitting a Zeb that the crown would be bigger than the head tube - I really doubt you would notice anything.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Gary, you are certanly a contributor to this forum and have alot of kbowledge. Us noobs respect that and apriciate it. BUT(T?)put you cock back in the pants and respect other people that have different views or interest than you.
Don't worry mate. My genitals weren't aroused in the slightest and the only other reason I'm likely to be getting them out is to take a piss. I realise some folk get super excited over pics of bikes and their aesthetics but trust me I'm not that guy. All I'm saying to the OP is that very few folk will even notice his fork crown at all and even if they do no one other than him is going to care. I'm not even sure how my comment to him has managed to upset you.
The solution to your issues is probably to ride your bikes more. Yeah. Both of you.
Peace bruv.

AME

Mar 28, 2019
Europe
I would love to ride my bike. -12 degrees celcius and 40cm of snow here now so i ‘l have to wait abit before getting out.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Don't worry mate. My genitals weren't aroused in the slightest and the only other reason I'm likely to be getting them out is to take a piss. I realise some folk get super excited over pics of bikes and their aesthetics but trust me I'm not that guy. All I'm saying to the OP is that very few folk will even notice his fork crown at all and even if they do no one other than him is going to care. I'm not even sure how my comment to him has managed to upset you.
The solution to your issues is probably to ride your bikes more. Yeah. Both of you.
Peace bruv.
If I'd bought a bike for a few thousand pounds it would piss me off, it's the finer details like a flush fork crown that make the Trek such a lovely thing...

But the answer is pretty simple to the OP, stick with the Yari and upgrade it to Lyric spec, or put up with a crown that isn't flush with the head tube. However, rockshox and/or trek MUST have that CSU available, if only for warranty replacements. Hell of an expensive way to go about a fork upgrade though.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If I'd bought a bike for a few thousand pounds it would piss me off, it's the finer details like a flush fork crown that make the Trek such a lovely thing...
No. Hopefully... it's riding it. ;)
Seems somewhere along the way you've somehow missed the actual point of buying a bike. ?
However, rockshox and/or trek MUST have that CSU available, if only for warranty replacements.
Read my first reply to this thread.

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
I own same beauty fault in my Rail 5 as I changed OEM Rockshox Gold 35RL to Cane Creek Helm MK1 Coil. The 35RL protected the headset bearing better as the crown was wider.
That was another thought of mine Hamina. Great feedback for some that may want to know before they take the dive. Thanks for your contribution.

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
Trek Rail headtube
Trek OEM RockShox 35 crown vs regular Zeb crown (notice the difference in size
Trek with Zeb installed
View attachment 50152
View attachment 50154

View attachment 50155
Original OEM Trek with RockShox fat crown
View attachment 50163
really good pics Rob. I was hoping you'd post pics of yours up close. Like another contributor commented, do you feel that it could enable entry of foreign material to the headset enough that it should even be a worry about premature wear etc?

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
No. Hopefully... it's riding it. ;)
Seems somewhere along the way you've somehow missed the actual point of buying a bike. ?

Read my first reply to this thread.
Of course it is dude. But please do explain to us what's wrong with trying to preserve the OEM look of your bike if you can?

So because I understand the OP's reason for trying to match the CSU I've missed the point of buying a bike? Do me a favour ?

coregrind

Dec 16, 2020
BEAVERTON, OREGON USA
@Motoxfreak in the States it looks to me that the Rail 9.8 has the ZEB Select+ as a stock fork; not the Ultimate as you indicated. The Select+ versions of RS forks are for OEM only. The Rail 9.9 has the ZEB Ultimate. Just like you wanting to upgrade your fork through complete replacement, someone with a ZEB-equipped Rail will change their build as well. Then there will be an OEM fork in the market place. It might take a minute and some relentless searching, but eventually there will be availability of the highly desired big crown ZEB. For a ZEB Ultimate with your preferred aesthetic, it might be fastest to source the stock fork and a separate Trek-spec crown/stanchion/steerer assembly for a custom build. Otherwise, just install a standard ZEB and be fine with the less than ideal look of the step down crown. In the States I’m sure you’ll receive more ridicule for being on an eMTB than for the appearance of your headtube & fork junction.

coregrind

Dec 16, 2020
BEAVERTON, OREGON USA
do you feel that it could enable entry of foreign material to the headset enough that it should even be a worry about premature wear etc?
My thoughts are that the crown size has no benefit for protection from water on the bottom bearing. There could be a slight advantage of the larger crown for keeping particles from making contact but I think it’s minimal. The bearings included with the Knock Block headset are not great. Regardless of the crown size, a move to replace the bearings with ones with full seals and stainless steel races would be the right way to go in my opinion.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If aesthetics are your main concern an Ebike shouldn't even be on your list ;)

Your lower headset bearing is sealed by the lower crown race and seal (if it has one). not the fork crown.
fit a mudguard if you want to sheild that bearing from spray not a new fork.

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
My thoughts are that the crown size has no benefit for protection from water on the bottom bearing. There could be a slight advantage of the larger crown for keeping particles from making contact but I think it’s minimal. The bearings included with the Knock Block headset are not great. Regardless of the crown size, a move to replace the bearings with ones with full seals and stainless steel races would be the right way to go in my opinion.
thanks Coregrind! Very good input and positive opinions! Its good input like this that is helpful to many.

datonetti

Jun 9, 2020
Lodi, ca 95240
I have been searching for the elusive OEM ZEB Ultimate with the beautiful integrated Trek OS crown. My LBS called Trek and was told it is not available aftermarket, I also spoke with RockShox, same answer. A little digging and I turned up these part #'s. Notice the 69mm OD, aftermarket ZEB CSU crown is 59mm OD.

11.4018.090.050 FORK CSU - DEBONAIR - 27/29B 44 OFF-SET - 69OD-TAPER ANO BLACK (NO GRADIENTS) ZEB A1 - TREK (2021) 11.4018.090.051 FORK CSU - DEBONAIR - 27/29B 44 OFF-SET - 69OD-TAPER DIFF BLACK (NO GRADIENTS) ZEB A1 - TREK (2021)

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Couldn't you turn the OEM Zeb into the equivalent of an Ultimate by buying SKF low friction seals and an RC2 damper? Seems like that would be more cost effective.

Gman086

May 11, 2021
Portland, OR
^^ What he said. The aftermarket Zeb crown is wider than normal crowns but not as wide as the massive head-tubes on the Treks. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE as has been stated by Rockshox themselves. There SURE AS HELL is a weight difference! My Zeb 170 Ultimate is a quarter pound LESS than the POS Rockshox 35 w/ wide Trek OEM specific crown that came on the Rail 5. The difference in performance is unbelievable. Also the Rail 5 has a low end headset but the lower cup bearing is still going strong well after I would have roasted a CaneCreek 40 lower bearing so... any talk of that being an issue is flat out rubbish (I live in the wet Pacific NW FWIW). So... there is absolutely NO reason to even go there trying to hunt down a Trek OEM Zeb.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Biaferon

Apr 28, 2019
Doncaster
I have been searching for the elusive OEM ZEB Ultimate with the beautiful integrated Trek OS crown. My LBS called Trek and was told it is not available aftermarket, I also spoke with RockShox, same answer. A little digging and I turned up these part #'s. Notice the 69mm OD, aftermarket ZEB CSU crown is 59mm OD.

11.4018.090.050 FORK CSU - DEBONAIR - 27/29B 44 OFF-SET - 69OD-TAPER ANO BLACK (NO GRADIENTS) ZEB A1 - TREK (2021) 11.4018.090.051 FORK CSU - DEBONAIR - 27/29B 44 OFF-SET - 69OD-TAPER DIFF BLACK (NO GRADIENTS) ZEB A1 - TREK (2021)

Biaferon

Apr 28, 2019
Doncaster

Is this the correct Trek rail crown?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles