ZEB settings on your Rail

Bramble

Sep 20, 2021
Leicestershire
Just wondering if people might like to share their ZEB setup they are using with their Rail. Only had mine a week and so far I'm finding the ZEB travel quite stiff and probably only used about 100mm on any off-road ride so far. Not sure how many, if any, bottomless tokens are in there. I set the fork up according to the Rock Shox set up guide but I must admit I can't tell any difference changing the high and low speed compression damping. Any tips welcome!

Rail97Rider

Jun 17, 2020
Pittsburgh
My ZEB had two tokens which I removed both . Factory guide says I need around 90 psi to achieve 25% sag. I had to lower it to 70psi to achieve 25% sag. After I made this change I now LOVE how it feels for me at 205 pounds.

L666GTB

Aug 17, 2021
Isle of Wight
Some info in here too:

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
I weight 90kg too, riding alpine terrain, steep technical no jumps.
After playing a lot with the settings,
I removed the 2 tokens, went nearly full open on the low speed compression, put pressure around 75psi.

Bramble

Sep 20, 2021
Leicestershire
Took it to bits today. There were two tokens in so tried with non and 75psi. Still feels like I can't anywhere near full travel, maybe 100mm max.

With the fork lowers off I notice that the damper cartridge, when compressed, feels like an air spring. I thought it should just travel through it's stroke with some resistance as the oil flows through orifices? Is it normal that is wants to push back to full extension?

Other than that everything was super clean and well greased/oiled.

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
I'm 195 lbs and run 68psi with low speed compression 11 clicks out from fully closed. I get 100% travel and it feels great. Feel is good and shockwiz is 99% happy set at soft/planted. I started off up at 80psi and the thing felt like a brick.

ckkone

May 21, 2021
UTAH USA
I'm 195 lbs and run 68psi with low speed compression 11 clicks out from fully closed. I get 100% travel and it feels great. Feel is good and shockwiz is 99% happy set at soft/planted. I started off up at 80psi and the thing felt like a brick.

How many tokens you running?

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
165lbs / 75kg. Took the tokens out. 70psi. North Vancouver / Squamish / Whistler. Mine is the 160mm Select +. I really want to upgrade the damper.

BobMtnBkr

Mar 17, 2022
Williamsburg VA
200 lbs. 62 years old. '21 Rail 9.8 XT.

160mm select + fork is new and not broken in - so too early to tell. Right now I'm shooting for 25% sag (~ 75 psi), compression 0, rebound -5, and 2 tokens.

Previous Rock Shox fork (150mm Pike on stumpjumper) -- I replaced the damper with the ultimate damper, swapped to newer debonair air spring and added MRP ramp control. Became good fork...

Initial assessment is this '21 ZEB Select + will need some help.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Iv upgraded the damper to the 2.1 charger running 3 tokens and 35 psi and also extended the travel to 180mm
I’m 69 kg

I weight the same myself and I’m currently experimenting with the zeb, you run really low pressures and high volume of tokens just interested in why you chose that set up as opposed to higher air pressure and less tokens? I’ve been running 55psi with 1 token but finding it too firm when in the chunky stuff so I’ve just dropped pressure to 49 about 25-30% sag, it’s on a focus sam 2 and I’ve only had the bike for a handful of trips to the bike park so just getting used to everything and dialling it in

Gman086

May 11, 2021
Portland, OR
I weight the same myself and I’m currently experimenting with the zeb, you run really low pressures and high volume of tokens just interested in why you chose that set up as opposed to higher air pressure and less tokens? I’ve been running 55psi with 1 token but finding it too firm when in the chunky stuff so I’ve just dropped pressure to 49 about 25-30% sag, it’s on a focus sam 2 and I’ve only had the bike for a handful of trips to the bike park so just getting used to everything and dialling it in

I typically like my forks to be fairly linear with higher pressures and less tokens (Lyrik, Fox 36) but I found with the Zeb, it uses such low pressures to begin with that you end up bottoming out unless your pressure is so high that it's worthless over small chatter so... it's a whole different animal. I weigh 175 lbs and ride aggressively so I'm at 68-72 psi (depending on steepness of terrain) for the 170mm version with one token and a Luftkappe which adds the equivalent of another two tokens. I usually use all the travel. LSC at 10 clicks in (+ or - 2; terrain dependent) and one click in of HSC with rebound at 7 clicks out from dead slow = MONEY for the steep and deep. I consider myself to be an expert tuner but YMMV depending on riding style.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
I typically like my forks to be fairly linear with higher pressures and less tokens (Lyrik, Fox 36) but I found with the Zeb, it uses such low pressures to begin with that you end up bottoming out unless your pressure is so high that it's worthless over small chatter so... it's a whole different animal. I weigh 175 lbs and ride aggressively so I'm at 66-70 psi (depending on steepness of terrain) for the 170mm version with one token and a Luftkappe which adds the equivalent of another two tokens. I usually use all the travel. LSC at 10 clicks in (+ or - 2; terrain dependent) and one click in of HSC with rebound at 7 clicks out from dead slow = MONEY for the steep and deep. I consider myself to be an expert tuner but YMMV depending on riding style.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Wow great detail mate really appreciate it, I’m currently trying 48psi with stock token, and surprisingly rebound as fast as it goes, I’m certainly not as quick as yourself but I like to be aggressive in my line choice rather than smooth, it’s all about the smiles rather than the times for me now 😊 I have yet to give a proper try at my local bike park yet but that will be coming soon

Gman086

May 11, 2021
Portland, OR
Wow great detail mate really appreciate it, I’m currently trying 48psi with stock token, and surprisingly rebound as fast as it goes, I’m certainly not as quick as yourself but I like to be aggressive in my line choice rather than smooth, it’s all about the smiles rather than the times for me now 😊 I have yet to give a proper try at my local bike park yet but that will be coming soon

A couple more things to keep in mind... the lower the travel your fork has, the more tokens it needs. This is why the 170 Zeb comes with only one token while the 160 Zeb comes with two tokens installed. Lastly, I've seen shock pumps read all over the place with variances up to 5 psi so keep that in mind when reading into other peep's settings. I will say this tho about the Zeb... a few psi change can make a HUGE difference so you really need to dial in that sweet spot for your riding style. I would not suggest focusing on sag so much with this fork but more so on what it feels like for mid-stroke support in steeper terrain and how it handles roots and rocks at speeds you are comfortable with. The Luftkappe was a massive upgrade for me because of the added mid-stroke support as you can use higher pressures with it and not lose small bump compliance (because of the larger negative air chamber it provides).

Cheers,

G

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
A couple more things to keep in mind... the lower the travel your fork has, the more tokens it needs. This is why the 170 Zeb comes with only one token while the 160 Zeb comes with two tokens installed. Lastly, I've seen shock pumps read all over the place with variances up to 5 psi so keep that in mind when reading into other peep's settings. I will say this tho about the Zeb... a few psi change can make a HUGE difference so you really need to dial in that sweet spot for your riding style. I would not suggest focusing on sag so much with this fork but more so on what it feels like for mid-stroke support in steeper terrain and how it handles roots and rocks at speeds you are comfortable with. The Luftkappe was a massive upgrade for me because of the added mid-stroke support as you can use higher pressures with it and not lose small bump compliance (because of the larger negative air chamber it provides).

Cheers,

G

Ahh brilliant advice mate I will bare that in mind, are the luftkappe easy to install or best to take it to lbs ?

Gman086

May 11, 2021
Portland, OR
Ahh brilliant advice mate I will bare that in mind, are the luftkappe easy to install or best to take it to lbs ?

Real easy to install if you are comfortable servicing your lowers. The hardest part is getting the old piston off the air shaft: Clamp the lower shaft nut with a vise, heat the old plastic piston with heat gun or blow-dryer for about 30-60 seconds to loosen the loctite, and then I use my DeWalt impact driver to remove the piston (breaks it free from the shaft easy). Then proceed with the Vorsprung directions.

Cheers,

G

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Real easy to install if you are comfortable servicing your lowers. The hardest part is getting the old piston off the air shaft: Clamp the lower shaft nut with a vise, heat the old plastic piston with heat gun or blow-dryer for about 30-60 seconds to loosen the loctite, and then I use my DeWalt impact driver to remove the piston (breaks it free from the shaft easy). Then proceed with the Vorsprung directions.

Cheers,

G

Awesome thanks mate

Esef

Dec 29, 2021
Czech Republic
I have 160mm Zeb Select+ on 2021 Rail 9. With my weight balancing around 105kg I found the settings from Trek suspension calculator pretty accurate with the default tokens in the fork from the manufacturer.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
I have seen some picture of a new casting on some Enduro pro bike. Look like relieve valves in the back like on the fox 38. For 2023 may be ?

i haven’t noticed any air build up issues with the zeb tbh , i did with the 2021 pikes though

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles