Reign E+ 2022

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
And then this happened:
Great to read, fun looking trails and good riding. Awesome.

Can I ask which forks you are running?

I have not run a coil since, oof, 2010 ish on a NP Mega, Rocco World Cup with coil lyriks up front. My god it was a magic carpet, but not massively fun to pedal! The coil rear felt perfectly balanced with the coil up front.

Fox 38 performance elite's on my Reign E+1 2022 feel absolutely fantastic, but worried a coil shock might create an imbalance.

Thoughts?

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
I have the stock Zeb RC forks on the bike, but changed the travel to 180mm. Had to do some weird air bleeding in the lowers to get full travel, but they currently feel very good.

The shock comes with a free service next year, I will probably send the fork and get a custom compression circuit installed for the hell of it.

Don't think imbalance is much of a problem, nearly everyone has air forks regardless of coil or air in rear shock. I beat my times on uphill stages on the last ride, so that won't be an issue either.

Bear in mind that my reason for upgrading was a personal vendetta against Fox, and I found the stock Float X to be somewhat unreliable, but it was a decent enough performer.

Marc1006

Oct 10, 2019
Bavaria
I would recommend swapping to 450. I run a Fox Van with 500 spring, 92 kg equipped. Bike park and big jumps/drops work properly. Shock came originally with a 450, had several bottom outs
But i agree, the lower bolt is pain in the ass🤣

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Hmmm, after 4 rides with the new coil, I now have a very clear knocking/friction when activating the shock. It happens about 2-3cm into the travel. There doesn't seem to be any obvious play in my bearings or loose bolts. Anyone ever had something like that happen to them? Asking as I would like to check other parts of the bike before removing the shock.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
New firmware update for our smart gateway 😱
Did it but don't know what's new with it ... See you tomorrow 🙏😅
The app sais this... Screenshot_20231202_195957_Google Play Store.jpg

Marc1006

Oct 10, 2019
Bavaria
Hmmm, after 4 rides with the new coil, I now have a very clear knocking/friction when activating the shock. It happens about 2-3cm into the travel. There doesn't seem to be any obvious play in my bearings or loose bolts. Anyone ever had something like that happen to them? Asking as I would like to check other parts of the bike before removing the shock.
Had similiar issue after swapping the shock. Solved it by loosening the lower bolt and tightening it again. Dont lock the nut on the right completely until the bolt + nut had a half or one rotations .

balagedebr

Feb 27, 2023
Hungary
Hi All!

If I read correctly, can the 2022 Reign E+ 1 MX Pro 750Wh also be used with a 625Wh battery too?

Does it need any adjustment or another cover for the 625Wh battery or can it simply be snapped in place of the 750?

Regards,
Balazs

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Nothing needed. 625Wh and also 500Wh work fine in this model. I'm even using the 800Wh Battery of my wifes Trance 2023.
They all have the same lenght and width, but 750wh is thicker than the others.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Got rid of my AXS derailleur & AXS dropper post after experiencing issues and issues, installed a new mechanical drivetrain for peace of mind & reliability, I'm done with AXS stuff for now. That GX AXS derailleur was also loud as hell and I prefer the quietness of the mechanical one that is not flopping around on impacts/rough trails.

2300km on the bike and if it wasn't for that cracked rocker link replaced under a week by Giant, no issues.

A good rear triangle/bearing service & suspension service also made the bike feel much smoother and quieter.

Installed the new parts below :
  • SRAM XX1 10-52 cassette (rainbow)
  • SRAM XX1 chain (rainbow)
  • SRAM X01 rear derailleur & shifter
  • Crankbrothers Stamp 7 Large electric blue
  • Raceface Turbine R stem turquoise
  • Oneup V2 210mm dropper with PNW Loam V2 lever
  • Custom ZEB chill chrome / rainbow decals

eMTB side 1.jpg

eMTB RD 1.jpg

eMTB Zeb 1.jpg

StemClose.jpg

RD Close.jpg

DOCTOR EBIKES

Jul 9, 2021
Terrassa ( SPAIN)
I have a problem that in the store they tell me that giant says it is normal....it turns out that every time I take out the battery the motor loses the personal configuration that I have adjusted....the same thing happens to you.... They changed my engine a few months ago...if I remember correctly the original engine did not have this problem...it happens to you too...you have to readjust all the personal parameters every time you remove the battery... ?

jar2b

May 13, 2023
Corsica
I have a problem that in the store they tell me that giant says it is normal....it turns out that every time I take out the battery the motor loses the personal configuration that I have adjusted....the same thing happens to you.... They changed my engine a few months ago...if I remember correctly the original engine did not have this problem...it happens to you too...you have to readjust all the personal parameters every time you remove the battery... ?
New update cures this bug.
Do it, i was in that case and now settings stay After putting the battery off the bike

DOCTOR EBIKES

Jul 9, 2021
Terrassa ( SPAIN)
New update cures this bug.
Do it, i was in that case and now settings stay After putting the battery off the bike
Well, curiously, I updated a couple of weeks ago with the last update and I lost my personal data after the update... but today I tried again without updating anything and now it keeps my personal parameters... although now my problem is It is another since the new engine that they put me in has done a total reset of the kilometers on the main odometer.....a few weeks ago my new engine had approximately 500 and now it has dropped to 0 again, it currently has 80 kilometers, I am waiting for a new replacement....this is a never ending story

jar2b

May 13, 2023
Corsica
Well, curiously, I updated a couple of weeks ago with the last update and I lost my personal data after the update... but today I tried again without updating anything and now it keeps my personal parameters... although now my problem is It is another since the new engine that they put me in has done a total reset of the kilometers on the main odometer.....a few weeks ago my new engine had approximately 500 and now it has dropped to 0 again, it currently has 80 kilometers, I am waiting for a new replacement....this is a never ending story
Yes , same happened to me.
Smartgateway must be reseted to apply New firmware. So settings were erased when battery off first Time after update.

gaiadoSeco

Oct 18, 2021
Portugal
Hi guys,
my 2022 Reign E+2 had a motor error light show. After you reboot and pedal, you can feel the motor kick for a split second before it dies and the mode light drops to 1. I took it to the bikeshop. First they replaced the speed sensor, didn't solve it. They're now calling me and saying Giant suggests replacing the battery cable, but the shop is not confident that it will solve it either and saying it may need to be sent to Giant for repair or replacement. The bike's over 2 years old so no warranty. Gut feeling, anybody think it may end any other way than me having to pay for a new motor?

Appreciate any thoughts. Thank you and a great day to all.

Last edited:

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Your error description makes me think you have got Error 6a.
Didn't the shop tell you the error code from the diagnostic tool?

Last edited:

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
Hi guys,
my 2022 Reign E+2 had a motor error light show. After you reboot and pedal, you can feel the motor kick for a split second before it dies and the mode light drops to 1. I took it to the bikeshop. First they replaced the speed sensor, didn't solve it. They're now calling me and saying Giant suggests replacing the battery cable, but the shop is not confident that it will solve it either and saying it may need to be sent to Giant for repair or replacement. The bike's over 2 years old so no warranty. Gut feeling, anybody think it may end any other way than me having to pay for a new motor?

Appreciate any thoughts. Thank you and a great day to all.
Let them put a cable on it and see what happens. Like most bike shops they know nothing about electronics it seems. From your symptoms it would not be the battery, mode switch or speed sensor. Would likely be a problem with power from the battery or tcu to the motor or the motor itself. I had a Reign and had two motors replaced, but from stripping gears on a hard landing not this issue.

gaiadoSeco

Oct 18, 2021
Portugal
Your error description makes me think you have got Error 6a.
Didn't the shop tell you the error code from the diagnostic tool?
Let them put a cable on it and see what happens. Like most bike shops they know nothing about electronics it seems. From your symptoms it would not be the battery, mode switch or speed sensor. Would likely be a problem with power from the battery or tcu to the motor or the motor itself. I had a Reign and had two motors replaced, but from stripping gears on a hard landing not this issue.
They didn't tell me the code, I just called them and the person who I've been talking to is out today. I asked his mate to try the motor on another bike to troubleshoot, they say they've got a 2023 reign with good cables, I should have an answer by tomorrow.

Thank you both!

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Just enter the Code / SN on the FOX helpcenter Website and it will tell you everything about it: Bike Help Center | FOX

PS: This are the details from my 2024 Replacement Shock:
Description: 2024, FLOAT X2, F-S, K, 2pos-Adj, Trunnion, FOX, SRV, 205, 65, CX003, RM, Rezi BX001, Orange, Neutral Logo, AM

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Speaking of shocks, I am sending my Novya back to get checked/serviced, the knocking got worse and worse. I think part of the issue is the eyelet is a fraction of a millimetre larger than the original, and the weird maestro mounting is causing some rattling. I could see the paint was a bit worn off the inside when I took it out.

Has anyone tried to reduce the diameter of the lower eyelet on their shock? I tried to put some tape, but it was too thick (this would just have been for a parking lot experiment). Now I am wondering it a couple layers of nail varnish would be enough to remove the play and thus rattling.

That said, after doing 2-3 rides on the stock fox float X, I really prefer the coil shock.

gaiadoSeco

Oct 18, 2021
Portugal
Hey all,
hope you've been doing some nice riding.

They've just fitted a new motor on my 22' reign e+2 after a 2month wait. The same day the motor broke down, I forgot to tighten the battery cover before loading the bike on the carrier and lost it while driving home, couldn't find it afterwards. I ordered a new one on the next week, which now, after the motor arrived, the lbs realized they'd ordered the wrong battery cover. Giant Portugal is now telling them the correct battery cover is out of stock. I asked them what the part number was, to see if I could search for it online, and they sent me the attached pics of the same cover from another bike. but the number shown (527-BTCVRM-0001), doesn't really return any hits on google.
Anybody know if there is another part number for the same cover I can look for? Or a shop abroad I could call for help, since in PT it's proving too much of an ordeal.

Grateful for any thoughts or ideas.

Have a great day.

2D078EFA-BDB7-47AF-A5DC-64A3D636CAC9.jpg 4E356333-37F9-46AA-BBF5-5C8635712C32.jpg 92B91553-794E-49F2-BBE1-C856A0B951E1.jpg AF92C757-D791-4DE7-8BC0-13FD138518BA.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles