Reign E+ 2022

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
What freehub and number of gears?

Generally speaking, SRAM XO1 tends to be a good buy (especially in 11s), it has the durability of XX1 (significantly longer than GX), so in terms of dollars per miles it is on par with GX, but much lighter.

Also, it is a good idea to change chains every year (or sooner if high mileage) to preserve the cassette. You can typically do 2-3 chains per cassette, at 30 euros a chain it works out cheaper.

Luke___

Sep 15, 2022
Czech Republic
What freehub and number of gears?

Generally speaking, SRAM XO1 tends to be a good buy (especially in 11s), it has the durability of XX1 (significantly longer than GX), so in terms of dollars per miles it is on par with GX, but much lighter.

Also, it is a good idea to change chains every year (or sooner if high mileage) to preserve the cassette. You can typically do 2-3 chains per cassette, at 30 euros a chain it works out cheaper.
ATM there is Shimano system on E+1. I change the chains, I measure the wear :)

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
After 2 seasons I want to replace casette and chainring (+chain also). Any recommendation? Chainring from praxis is nice, so I am thinking to buy the same one (steel ebike specific), not sure about the casette (I am not so much concerned witch the weight, but with the strengh and wear/tear)
I have fit a Woolftooth chainring very tough and the rest is XTR Kit I had hanging around from my old analog bike. so far no issues mud rain snow dust mainly alpine dh duties with the climbing to get there. I only swapped it as I broke the OEM XT ( E+1) and took time to get spare cage at the time. Shimano is tough and does the job which ever you choose.

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
So my first bigger isuue with E+1 - cracked Fox Float X2 (I dont count the need for reseal of the fork after the buy). According to service guy the oil leg is cracked, leaking oil. My bike is after the warranty period (purchased it on the company) so I am covering the repair. Funny part - last ride before the oil leak was just close to my home, quite short, including only some small jumps (0,5m high, 3-4m long) and pumptrack. Question - anybody tried to contact Fox directly due the quality issues? Shock was serviced during May (complete service). I am thinking about switching to the coil (have one one my DH bike).
If you look at fox service instructions there is a note in regards of free service of faulty x2.
I got a completly new 2024 x2 from local Fox service center (reign e 2022), at no cost.

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
Almost 1yr report:

Reign E+ 1 is now 10 months and 3100km old. I absolutely love it. So far under warranty I’ve had a complete new rear wheel (the ratchet ring in the hub body unscrewed itself and ate it’s own threads), and after 2 returns to Fox by my LBS (1 = cavitation, 2 = not holding pressure) the X2 was completely replaced with a kashima 2024 version (as per many others and above). Works just fine so far.

Now, I’m getting a new speed sensor and motor.

Last couple of months, completely randomly but usually on long rides after 2-3hrs (but also happened on shorter rides unpredictably), I would get the speed sensor error and the engine would cut power. Turn off for 5mins usually reset things i continue without incident. Bit annoying though. Shop was initially going to replace the speed sensor under warranty, but Giant advised them to replace both that and the motor as well. Heck!

So, on 23rd Oct it’ll go into the shop to get all that replaced. I’m really impressed with LBS and Giant support so far, have definitely needed them and it has supported my choice of ebike being driven by a good local store.

Getting a new motor can only be a good thing, right?

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Giant released 2024 Reign E+ models in Canada.

Somes changes that I noted :
  • Reign E+3 : SR Suntour Durolux 38 fork, Shimano CUES Linkglide drivetain
  • Reign E+2 : Fox 38 Rythm fork, Shimano CUES Linkglide drivetrain
  • Reign E+1 : Fox 38 & X2 Factory, Shimano XT Linkglide drivetrain & new TRA wheels with 72T hub
Giant are finally bringing back nice colours and there was a price decrease on the E+1 model.

Same motor, no sign of the new Yamaha PW-XM motor....I guess no significant changes before MY 2025.

2024 Reign E+3
MY24-Reign-Eplus-3_Color-A-Raw-Aluminum_B.jpg

MY24-Reign-Eplus-3_Color-A-Raw-Aluminum_Front_B.jpg

MY24ReignEplus3_ColorARawAluminum_D2.jpg

2024 Reign E+2
MY24-Reign-Eplus-2_Color-A-Sangria_B.jpg

MY24-Reign-Eplus-2_Color-A-Sangria_Rear_B.jpg

MY24ReignEplus2_ColorASangria_D2.jpg

2024 Reign E+1
MY24-Reign-Eplus-1_Color-A-Blue-Dragonfly_B.jpg

MY24-Reign-Eplus-1_Color-A-Blue-Dragonfly_Front_B.jpg

MY24ReignEplus1_ColorABlueDragonfly_D-5_B.jpg

MY24ReignEplus1_ColorABlueDragonfly_D-2_B.jpg

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
Giant released 2024 Reign E+ models in Canada.

Somes changes that I noted :
  • Reign E+3 : SR Suntour Durolux 38 fork, Shimano CUES Linkglide drivetain
  • Reign E+2 : Fox 38 Rythm fork, Shimano CUES Linkglide drivetrain
  • Reign E+1 : Fox 38 & X2 Factory, Shimano XT Linkglide drivetrain & new TRA wheels with 72T hub
Giant are finally bringing back nice colours and there was a price decrease on the E+1 model.

Same motor, no sign of the new Yamaha PW-XM motor....I guess no significant changes before MY 2025.

2024 Reign E+3
View attachment 126968
View attachment 126969
View attachment 126970

2024 Reign E+2
View attachment 126971
View attachment 126972
View attachment 126980

2024 Reign E+1
View attachment 126976
View attachment 126977
View attachment 126978
View attachment 126979
Loving those colours, I’ve got “good grey” and it’s still meh!

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Just received a Vivid Air Ultimate... Doesn't really fit into the frame, the rebound knob touches the frame at the bottom and the gigantic adjusters at the top mean you need to offset your water bottle.

Technically, the rebound knob is just a little hex key that can pop out, so the shock could be inserted, but you lose the ability to do any rebound adjustment while the shock is fitted, and removing the shock is not a trail side job.

Has anyone persevered to fit a Vivid on the giant reign e+? What coil shocks are you all running? My second choice would have been the Novya, but it has a similar looking dial at the bottom that will most likely interfere with the frame and be a pita to adjust. Superdeluxe coil looks like it might fit, I have a personal vendetta against fox so they are a no go :p.

Cheers

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
Just received a Vivid Air Ultimate... Doesn't really fit into the frame, the rebound knob touches the frame at the bottom and the gigantic adjusters at the top mean you need to offset your water bottle.

Technically, the rebound knob is just a little hex key that can pop out, so the shock could be inserted, but you lose the ability to do any rebound adjustment while the shock is fitted, and removing the shock is not a trail side job.

Has anyone persevered to fit a Vivid on the giant reign e+? What coil shocks are you all running? My second choice would have been the Novya, but it has a similar looking dial at the bottom that will most likely interfere with the frame and be a pita to adjust. Superdeluxe coil looks like it might fit, I have a personal vendetta against fox so they are a no go :p.

Cheers

You mean the rebound knob at the bottom? It should not be an issue I tried a mates one quickly and it was good.
1697731905592.png

I ride the fast Fenix enduro and never had an issue touching frame or anything.
1697732067130.png

Changing rebound on the trail does mean i have to remove my gloves or push with a multitool. its not like you should change your rebound often. you are more likely to play with the compression settings.

In any case I'd rather go on the Novya and and ask Max from Novy parts to do a custom tune. He ll give you great support on the setup the shock , and theres also his app to track all your set ups. And you are guaranteed to have top quality after sales support.

X-MOTOGUY

Oct 23, 2023
New Hampshire
View attachment 127452 View attachment 127451
Finally got the 2023 e+2, did have the option of the 2024 but felt the 23 had better spec plus was cheaper
In the states I have not seen any news for the 2024 models. I want to buy the 2023 E+1 that is listed on Giants website for $6700 USD. But its so close to 2024 that I wonder if I should wait? Could you tell me what you noticed for changes to the 2024 E+?

Last edited:

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Finally got the 2023 e+2, did have the option of the 2024 but felt the 23 had better spec plus was cheaper

If there's was a discount on the 2023 clearly it was the better option, spec is pretty much even 23 vs 24.

In the states I have not seen any news for the 2024 models. I want to buy the 2023 E+1 that is listed on Giants website for $6700 USD. But its so close to 2024 that I wonder if I should wait? Could you tell me what you noticed for changes to the 2024 E+?

I posted 2024 models above, main difference for the 2024 E+2 is that it comes with Fox 38 Rythm Fork & CUES drivetrain vs ZEB Select & SLX drivetrain for 2023.

If you have a discount on the 2023 go for it.

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand

Hopefully you can see the link ok.
All the 2024 have 11spd drive trains.
Also my XL came with a 200mm Dropper 👍 think that's new from giant.
Only just seen your post.

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
If there's was a discount on the 2023 clearly it was the better option, spec is pretty much even 23 vs 24.

I posted 2024 models above, main difference for the 2024 E+2 is that it comes with Fox 38 Rythm Fork & CUES drivetrain vs ZEB Select & SLX drivetrain for 2023.

If you have a discount on the 2023 go for it.
I'm fortunate to get same discount on both 23 + 24 models, 24 is $1000 more at rrp.
I'm on a super tight budget ,with cost of living and the likes effecting us.
If both models cost the same probley would still go the 23.
Been waiting over 8 months for the reign.
I had a e+1 22 Trance , the sale of that paid for 90% of the reign.

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
In a couple of months I'll have 2 years on the E+3 model. Although I only have 1600km (1000 miles) on it, here a little summary again. The low mileage is purely because I mostly ride bio bikes in the summer.
Until now no signs of frame or paint cracking. It has survived some nasty crashes in the rocky mountains of Italy in Finale Ligure with some battle scars, but it stills runs awesome. Tried out high setting once, but kept it at low since then. I started replacing parts that failed early on in the journey. Here a small list:

-Replaced MT420 brakes for some orange Hope Tech4 V4.
-Brake rotors to 220/200 SRAM HS2
-Upgraded the domain fork with a rc2.1 damper unit
-switched the DPS dampfer to an X2 Elite from an E+1 model and shortly after to the Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate RC2T (which is awesome in the bike)
-handlebars to some OneUP carbonbars with ODI grips
-changed dropper to a 240mm OneUP (fits perfectly in the XL frame, old dropper that came with the bike failed and with 170mm the saddle got me bruises on the inside of my thighs on long, steep decents)
-replaced wheels to Mavic E-deemax (nuts for the bearing play on the original wheel front hub kept getting loose every 2nd ride, rear rim broke twice)

I am still running the deore drivetrain, which I really, really like. I broke 2 derailleurs on tight sections, but for a price of around 30€ in germany it does not brake the bank. Cassette holds up nicely, same with the original kmc chain. Had to get a pair of new cranks after a crash where one of them bent by quite a bit.

As for the rest, the motor holds up nice, battery as well. Never had any more issues with the motor after my initial problems when flashing new firmware, where it basically went dead for 2 weeks. The only issue I have since the beginning besides the rather cheap parts on the lowest E+3 model is the clearance below the motor. The cover holds up nicely though for the beating. Only broke one of them, but got 2 spare ones waiting :p

IMG_20230331_183228.jpg

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
I'm also two years ownership in February 2024.
2,270 km on Reign E+2 running in “high” geometry setting without any issues.
I switched the dropper post for a longer Giant model, stem (35mm), flat pedals and grips.
Love this bike! I secretly wish Giant comes out with a lightweight Reign model for 2024 (aka: Reign Advanced E+ Elite…) !
😎

Bad-Latitude

Aug 21, 2022
Simi Valley
In a couple of months I'll have 2 years on the E+3 model. Although I only have 1600km (1000 miles) on it, here a little summary again. The low mileage is purely because I mostly ride bio bikes in the summer.
Until now no signs of frame or paint cracking. It has survived some nasty crashes in the rocky mountains of Italy in Finale Ligure with some battle scars, but it stills runs awesome. Tried out high setting once, but kept it at low since then. I started replacing parts that failed early on in the journey. Here a small list:

-Replaced MT420 brakes for some orange Hope Tech4 V4.
-Brake rotors to 220/200 SRAM HS2
-Upgraded the domain fork with a rc2.1 damper unit
-switched the DPS dampfer to an X2 Elite from an E+1 model and shortly after to the Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate RC2T (which is awesome in the bike)
-handlebars to some OneUP carbonbars with ODI grips
-changed dropper to a 240mm OneUP (fits perfectly in the XL frame, old dropper that came with the bike failed and with 170mm the saddle got me bruises on the inside of my thighs on long, steep decents)
-replaced wheels to Mavic E-deemax (nuts for the bearing play on the original wheel front hub kept getting loose every 2nd ride, rear rim broke twice)

I am still running the deore drivetrain, which I really, really like. I broke 2 derailleurs on tight sections, but for a price of around 30€ in germany it does not brake the bank. Cassette holds up nicely, same with the original kmc chain. Had to get a pair of new cranks after a crash where one of them bent by quite a bit.

As for the rest, the motor holds up nice, battery as well. Never had any more issues with the motor after my initial problems when flashing new firmware, where it basically went dead for 2 weeks. The only issue I have since the beginning besides the rather cheap parts on the lowest E+3 model is the clearance below the motor. The cover holds up nicely though for the beating. Only broke one of them, but got 2 spare ones waiting :p

View attachment 129279
I’ve been thinking of going to a coil on my bike for a while now. Is it worth the money? What size did you get?

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
F
I’ve been thinking of going to a coil on my bike for a while now. Is it worth the money? What size did you get?
For me it definitely was. As the bike is heavy already I do not really care about some more added weight. Right now the bike is sitting at around 27kg with gravity tires, coil, heavy duty wheelset and so on in XL. It was around 25.5 before. Don't mind the weight, I am 225lbs myself.

I bought the Super Deluxe Coil RC2T in 205x62.5 as that is the stroke the Float DPS and X2 had before. Using a 550lbs spring to sit right around 30% sag.

I like the Float DPS initially. It performed ok for being a basic, rather cheap option. After getting along better with the bike I went throught the travel a lot. No real option on the DPS to increase compression. I changed it for an X2 Performance Elite from the E+1 model, but never found a good setting. After around 200km or so on it, it began to make noises, just like the same model I had previously on my Forbidden Dreadnought. Sold it and got the coil.

The RC2T coil is pretty inexpensive and I really like the suppleness of the top. The rear of the reign e+ is definitely progressive enough to run a linear coil shock. For hard impacts the hydraulic bottom out works superb. It feels a lot more planted in the rear than before.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
novya.jpg

Well, that happened...

And then this happened:
And then this happened:
Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 10.26.56.png

Absolutely smoked all my times, there are a few segments where only the pros are ahead. Despite that, I think my coil is too stiff, I was recommended a 500 spring, which feels amazing on small bumps, but harsh enough on medium and larger hits. It looks like I'm not using my last 1cm of shaft travel. I have a cheap 450 at home, hesitating to swap it on or just bite the bullet and order a high quality 475, (I'm currently 76kg). The whole shock removal and fitting process is a bit of a pain, I'm worried about damaging the bearings from doing it over and over again.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles