Reign E+ 2022

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland
What exactly goes wrong with the X2 and what are the symptoms?
A common problem is cavitation. Air bubbles form in the damping oil. This essentially kills damping in the shock.

In my shock you could hear squelching as the shock compressed and rebounded. Out on the trail the damping drastically reduced after a short period of use. Fox have generally fixed shocks under warranty. I had some issues but got mine repaired in the end. Apparently there are changes to the MY23 shocks that improve this issue. When it works it’s great. I’m not counting lap times so I would prefer to lose a fraction of performance in place of a reliable component.

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
A common problem is cavitation. Air bubbles form in the damping oil. This essentially kills damping in the shock.

In my shock you could hear squelching as the shock compressed and rebounded. Out on the trail the damping drastically reduced after a short period of use. Fox have generally fixed shocks under warranty. I had some issues but got mine repaired in the end. Apparently there are changes to the MY23 shocks that improve this issue. When it works it’s great. I’m not counting lap times so I would prefer to lose a fraction of performance in place of a reliable component.
Thanks for the explanation. My x2 makes that noise when I cycle the shock. Not noticed any drop in performance yet but will look out for it.

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland
Thanks for the explanation. My x2 makes that noise when I cycle the shock. Not noticed any drop in performance yet but will look out for it.
The sound alone (if its clearly audible) should be enough for a warranty repair. Some have reported updated internals being used during the repair which could help improve the longevity of the shock and actually get it to its service interval

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
I received 2024 X2 on warranty from the nearest Fox Service center.
The original one, lasted 7-800km btw surging noise, both the first and second time it failed.
1693299590264.png

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Anybody got information on the 2024 models ?

Looks like there's no leak this year.

2023 Reign E+ are being discounted 30% at my local dealer, I was thinking about buying one and swapping over my parts to have a fresh bike for petty much 0$ as resale value is not that far off.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Anybody got information on the 2024 models ?

Looks like there's no leak this year.

2023 Reign E+ are being discounted 30% at my local dealer, I was thinking about buying one and swapping over my parts to have a fresh bike for petty much 0$ as resale value is not that far off.
Just the new slightly lighter and less prone to overheating motor, but I wonder if Yamaha/Giant will position it as a high end "Bosh race" equivalent or whether it will appear on the entire range. Considering how often mine overheats, it would be a worthwhile addition.

Due to the big frame refresh in 2022, not sure we will see anything too interesting this year. Personally would love a new rear triangle either a touch longer to fit a 29er rear, or a 27.5 specific similar to the trance elite one that is under 450mm, in both cases I would need it to raise the BB about 2cm.

DOCTOR EBIKES

Jul 9, 2021
Terrassa ( SPAIN)
Hello, good afternoon, has anyone reset the odometer of your ebike? Mine has already been reset twice.
the first when it had 4200 kilometers, the second with approximately 240 kilometers and now it has 7 kilometers.
Have you had any similar problems?

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
Hello, good afternoon, has anyone reset the odometer of your ebike? Mine has already been reset twice.
the first when it had 4200 kilometers, the second with approximately 240 kilometers and now it has 7 kilometers.
Yes mine got reset a couple of times with the updates.

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
yup on the 2nd to last update it blanked mine out as well. Last update fixed everything except the odemeter.

DOCTOR EBIKES

Jul 9, 2021
Terrassa ( SPAIN)
Good afternoon, I just updated my ebike with the Smart Gateway 2023090700 update, we will see what happens from now on.....it will explode, it will fly, in half an hour it will charge, it will not charge, very soon in your cinemas.

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
Good afternoon, I just updated my ebike with the Smart Gateway 2023090700 update, we will see what happens from now on.....it will explode, it will fly, in half an hour it will charge, it will not charge, very soon in your cinemas.
Mine gets to 100% but the green light keeps flashing. 😒

Megavolt

Jul 21, 2022
Moscow Russia
I confirm. After the update, all mileage was reset to zero.

boarder87

Oct 4, 2022
Germany
Unfortunately, yesterday I had a severe tire puncture on rough terrain, lost some air and then suffered further severe impacts on the rim until I noticed it. Long story short, the rim of my E+2 is gone and now I need a replacement.
Do you have any recommendations for me ready to ride with 80-85kg? DT Swiss EX1700, E1900, or rather HX1700, H1900 with steel hub? Other manufacturers are also welcome.

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
Unfortunately, yesterday I had a severe tire puncture on rough terrain, lost some air and then suffered further severe impacts on the rim until I noticed it. Long story short, the rim of my E+2 is gone and now I need a replacement.
Do you have any recommendations for me ready to ride with 80-85kg? DT Swiss EX1700, E1900, or rather HX1700, H1900 with steel hub? Other manufacturers are also welcome.
I had similar experience, straightened the wheel, it later bent again... In the end i went for a custom build, DT swiss 240 Hybrid Hub and a DT swiss FR 541 rim really tough rim built for rough terrain jumps ect. asked my local bike shop to build it up with spokes and nipples, much tougher set up than the DT ready built wheels FR 541 | DT Swiss

I ended up building a DT EX511 plus hope hub for the front ... and kept the original front wheel to fit a mud tire so its easy to swap out and i keep the stronger DT wheels for dry weather...

gaiadoSeco

Oct 18, 2021
Portugal
I don't know a lot about the subject, but I have the E+2 and after ruining the rear stock wheel, I followed a mate's recommendation and got a pair of mavics e-deemax, regular ones, not the S line, which I paid about 400€ for. I was skeptic and inexperienced, so I was very surprised when the bike rode so much better after putting them on. I imagine any decent wheelset by DT, Mavic and likewise will be noticeably better than giant stock wheels on the E+2.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France

I weigh 77kg and have never used an "ebike" specific wheel despite using turbo/boost almost 100% of the time. Most reputable hubs will be fine.

I'm using an EX511 rim which you would find on a EX1700, rim has been great, I only have 28 spokes which I think might be too low, a lot of truing involved after each of my first 10-20 rides.

As others have said, getting a good reasonable weight (sub 2kg) wheelset can make a big difference to the ride quality of the bike.

boarder87

Oct 4, 2022
Germany
Thanks for your advises. After reading a lot of wheel topics on the web, I think it make sense to spenta little more money for the EX 1700 or HX 1700 wheels because of the welded rims instead of the E/H 1900.

I'm using an EX511 rim which you would find on a EX1700, rim has been great, I only have 28 spokes which I think might be too low, a lot of truing involved after each of my first 10-20 rides.
On a non E-Bike this would also be my choice, but with the additional torque I rather prefer a steel freehub for a few gramm more. Do you know what rims are on the HX 1700 (HX 531 ?)and what's the difference to your EX511…?

In the end i went for a custom build, DT swiss 240 Hybrid Hub and a DT swiss FR 541 rim really tough rim built for rough terrain jumps ect. asked my local bike shop to build it up with spokes and nipples, much tougher set up than the DT ready built wheels FR 541 | DT Swiss
I've never build or bought/custom wheels in the past, because I'm not really familiar with the components and I thought it's more expensive that normal wheelsets. But why not ask for a quotation for a custom wheel.
You mean, that you found a even tougher configuration than the stock wheels with the same fr541…? I don't know if I really need this.

All m friends are riding Newmen EG30 wheels on their non-emtb Enduros. Does anybody have experience with them?

Last edited:

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
Thanks for your advises. After reading a lot of wheel topics on the web, I think it make sense to spenta little more money for the EX 1700 or HX 1700 wheels because of the welded rims instead of the E/H 1900.

On a non E-Bike this would also be my choice, but with the additional torque I rather prefer a steel freehub for a few gramm more. Do you know what rims are on the HX 1700 (HX 531 ?)and what's the difference to your EX511…?

I've never build or bought/custom wheels in the past, because I'm not really familiar with the components and I thought it's more expensive that normal wheelsets. But why not ask for a quotation for a custom wheel.
You mean, that you found a even tougher configuration than the stock wheels with the same fr541…? I don't know if I really need this.

All m friends are riding Newmen EG30 wheels on their non-emtb Enduros. Does anybody have experience with them?
My local bike shop could build the wheels and let me check online if i could get best prices for hubs and rims i wanted , and they got spokes and nipples then they asked if i wanted custom coulor for spokes and nipples ect . They also advised me to go for Jbend spokes and hubs as they are stronger and easier to true in the long run than straight pull.
Regarding the Steel hub I agree with you steel is the way, and you do not need 1000 pick up points .
The main difference between The HX531 EX 511 and FR541 is where the material is placed and the thickness of side walls ect. Also both the EX and FR are rate in the highest class of wheels able to take the most abuse jumps impacts ect as both are used for world cup duties the HX has a lower rating... .
Also when I was looking last year, the HX wheels had a premium due to being " e-bike specific" this may have changed. That did play in my decision at the time...

these guys explain it well

boarder87

Oct 4, 2022
Germany
Thanks...finally someone who explains the differences between the rims. To be honest, I would have expected bigger differences, but it's amazing what a few tenths make in the end.

Luke___

Sep 15, 2022
Czech Republic
So my first bigger isuue with E+1 - cracked Fox Float X2 (I dont count the need for reseal of the fork after the buy). According to service guy the oil leg is cracked, leaking oil. My bike is after the warranty period (purchased it on the company) so I am covering the repair. Funny part - last ride before the oil leak was just close to my home, quite short, including only some small jumps (0,5m high, 3-4m long) and pumptrack. Question - anybody tried to contact Fox directly due the quality issues? Shock was serviced during May (complete service). I am thinking about switching to the coil (have one one my DH bike).

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
I'm sending my Fox directly to their Service Center and bypass the dealer. In your case I would claim warranty on the last service.

Luke___

Sep 15, 2022
Czech Republic
After 2 seasons I want to replace casette and chainring (+chain also). Any recommendation? Chainring from praxis is nice, so I am thinking to buy the same one (steel ebike specific), not sure about the casette (I am not so much concerned witch the weight, but with the strengh and wear/tear)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles