Rear tire for max traction on large rocks and roots?

pufferjumper

Jun 9, 2020
USA
Any advice on a rear tire with max traction on large rocks and roots? I don’t ride when it’s wet, but sometimes there is dew on the rocks/roots in the mornings. the other terrains in my trails are hard pack dirt and small rocks. However, I’m most interested in traction while climbing the large rocks or over roots. Lastly, this is going on an e-bike.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Just like peteandsoo writes, you can change to grippier tires, i use assegai and yes they are awesome. and then tubeless is better beacuse you can have lower pressure.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Any advice on a rear tire with max traction on large rocks and roots? I don’t ride when it’s wet, but sometimes there is dew on the rocks/roots in the mornings. the other terrains in my trails are hard pack dirt and small rocks. However, I’m most interested in traction while climbing the large rocks or over roots. Lastly, this is going on an e-bike.
what tyres do you currently use?

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
I'll throw in for the Assegai as well as a Magic Mary, just make sure whatever you get, if it's on the rear you get a strong tyre carcass as I learnt the hard way with a mediocre one the pinched right next to the rim and left too bigger hole for the sealant to seal.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
How much quicker does the maxgrip wear compared to maxterra?
Call me presumptuous but it won't matter how you ask the same question or in which thread, since the MaxxGripp is a softer compound than the MaxxTerra, you will be ripping the lugs/knobs off of any MaxxGripp tire (DHR II or Assagai) with Cushcore as well, unless you use the appropriate amount of air pressure for your weight, ride it like a emtb and not try to blast up hills with lose, sharp rocks, in full turbo. What bike are you riding?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Wild Enduro rear tyre is fast rolling but pretty low on traction.....unlike the Wild Enduro front tyre which is a beast! Best rear tyres I have used are Assegai DD Max Grip and DHR11 DD Max Grip.............both wear quite a bit quicker than the Max Terra..........you cant have everything!!

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Wild Enduro rear tyre is fast rolling but pretty low on traction.....unlike the Wild Enduro front tyre which is a beast! Best rear tyres I have used are Assegai DD Max Grip and DHR11 DD Max Grip.............both wear quite a bit quicker than the Max Terra..........you cant have everything!!
I wish Maxxis would make MaxxTerra with DD casing for the Assegai , Dissector etc...I love the support and puncture protection of the DD but MaxxGrip just wears too fast on the rear, great on the front though! I think the DHR2 is the only one available in MaxxTerra and DD.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I’ve found the Wild Enduro Racing Line awesome for rock and root. Front tyre on both front and rear. It’s a beefy tyre, and offered outstanding climbing grip on an ebike (providing you run the Front on the rear too).

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Also, the guys that won the e-Bike World Tour (pretty gruelling multi day alpine events) run the wild enduro racing lines. Alps is quite rocky 😂

F3D3A723-0F5C-4BA1-87A3-CFDA163159B7.jpeg

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
Been liking these new Specialized Butcher Grid Trail T7 27.5 X 2.8 for the rear. Nice and burly and tubeless.

20220820_214502_resized.jpg

20220820_214526_resized.jpg

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
Haven't tried them in the front. My go to tire for the front is the Butcher Grid same size. Totally different tread with four rows of knobbies instead of 6 like the rear. My wife's Kenevo has the Butcher black diamond 2.6 in the front. The black diamond version isn't really rounded and more square. I like a little more volume though since the sharp rocks in Utah can get bad.

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
It's weird that I can't find these online or the Specialized web site but my LBS ordered them. Maybe they are something new? Either way, thankfully they are "ebike" ready.🤪😍

20220821_083941_resized.jpg

20220821_084504_resized.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles