Internal rim width and tire size

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I used to live 2 minutes ride from those stairs. Rode them many a time. Always on Alloy rims and never broke any.

:whistle:

hahaha

Yeah. Nah. That santa cruz rim stands up pretty impressively, doesn't it? Every rider I know who jumped on the carbon rim bandwaggon early on broke rims and most are back on alloy rims again now.
BTW Those rims in the video are 470g each. Not particularly light. but strength to weight seems pretty damn good. Plus they do come with a lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi

Fair enough it’s your choice , I was only trying to answer your request

Well @Kernow after seeing the Reserve Wheelset video I believe I may have to eat humble pie on the 'insert front' to a certain degree as I may now have an alternative solution.;)
If I purchase this wheelset with its lifetime warranty my huge fear for dented/smashed rims basically gets thrown out of the door. This will open the door for me to use inserts and lighter weight tyres. The inserts will protect the tyres from damage which is what they appear to do well and by the look of the content in the video the rims are going to be pretty damn safe and even if I do have some freak accident and break the rims (Very unlikely) they will be replaced FOC.
However, The only problem to resolve for me personally regarding the Welsh slatey terrain I ride in is cuts/slashes to the sidewalls and body of the tyre which I know inserts do not protect against....so, I still may have to use a DH carcass or possibly try a lighter Super Gravity carcass?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Well @Kernow after seeing the Reserve Wheelset video I believe I may have to eat humble pie on the 'insert front' to a certain degree as I may now have an alternative solution.;)
If I purchase this wheelset with its lifetime warranty my huge fear for dented/smashed rims basically gets thrown out of the door. This will open the door for me to use inserts and lighter weight tyres. The inserts will protect the tyres from damage which is what it’s they appear to do well and by the look of the content in the video the rims are going to be pretty damn safe and even if I do have some freak accident and break the rims (Very unlikely) they will be replaced FOC.
However, The only problem to resolve for me personally regarding the Welsh slatey terrain I ride in is cuts/slashes to the sidewalls and body of the tyre which I know inserts do not protect against....so, I still may have to use a DH carcass or possibly try a lighter Super Gravity carcass?
That’s the combination we’re all finding works ok . My daughter started last year on a new bike with carbon rims and broke a rim on her first event , it was replaced under warranty they said it shouldn’t have broken and they have been fine since still in perfect shape . I think what killed that rim was a side impact from a Rock that was thrown up , or maybe a twisting action as the wheel jammed in a slot nothing can help that , but I guess in those situations carbon is a less forgiving material . Lifetime warranty though so why worry . I think it’s good to experience the feel of the rat bites over rocks , Iam sure some other inserts give a similar feel , not heard anyone say they don’t like the feel yet . If it wasn’t for cost I would like to try the wolf inserts with the tubes inside ,
Il be changing tyres next week so will list some pics of how the inserts have survived

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
It's interesting to see the rat bites sit in the outer part of the tyre whereas cushcore are tight to the rim.
I've got rat bite in the rear and was wondering if the stanssolution would be able to get to any punctures

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
It's interesting to see the rat bites sit in the outer part of the tyre whereas cushcore are tight to the rim.
I've got rat bite in the rear and was wondering if the stanssolution would be able to get to any punctures

Fluid seems to get there ok. I seen a few small punctures heal up quick and there was evidence of punctured sealed We never knew about when I last had a tyre off . The insert is tight enough inside the tyre to impede the flow of sealant . My mate used a plug in his for bigger hole and it worked ok
Cushcore obviously allows sealant to seal around the bead , which is half of seems to get used up I think .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles