Your Favorite Rear Tire?

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
I feel like I'm having trouble finding a rear tire with a good combo of grip and durability, durability being the main problem. I've been through pretty much all the big brands in the compounds you'd expect... MaxxTerra, Addix Soft, Gripton, etc. If say, Maxxis, would sell the DHR2 in a dual compound in a DD or DH casing I'd be all over it. So I recently ordered the bike park version of some tires that should have a harder compound but are still pretty knobby -- Magic Mary and Michelin DH 34. Also found the DHF in a dual compound with a DH casing. Hoping these last a good amount longer while still providing adequate grip.

What rear tires have you had luck with?

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I'm currently really liking the Specialized Eliminator BLCK DMND on the rear. Pretty long lasting tread compared to my experiences with Maxxis and I love the predictability of it as it's breaking traction

PJ27

Jan 8, 2020
Gosford, NSW
I feel like I'm having trouble finding a rear tire with a good combo of grip and durability, durability being the main problem. I've been through pretty much all the big brands in the compounds you'd expect... MaxxTerra, Addix Soft, Gripton, etc. If say, Maxxis, would sell the DHR2 in a dual compound in a DD or DH casing I'd be all over it. So I recently ordered the bike park version of some tires that should have a harder compound but are still pretty knobby -- Magic Mary and Michelin DH 34. Also found the DHF in a dual compound with a DH casing. Hoping these last a good amount longer while still providing adequate grip.

What rear tires have you had luck with?

From what I have read there have been good reviews on the Schwalbe Eddy Current Rear tyre - looking at this for my next rear Ebike tire showdown. - EMTB Forums

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Single ply Maxxpro MAXXIS BLING BLING 26x2.35

The proper light 500g ish Smoke lites were pretty awesome BITD too.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I feel like I'm having trouble finding a rear tire with a good combo of grip and durability, durability being the main problem. I've been through pretty much all the big brands in the compounds you'd expect... MaxxTerra, Addix Soft, Gripton, etc.
As you seem to have realised, there's your answer. ALL of those are SOFT compounds.
so of course they'll wear down faster, especially if you rear brake a lot.

Also found the DHF in a dual compound with a DH casing. Hoping these last a good amount longer while still providing adequate grip.
it will and they do

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Also found the DHF in a dual compound with a DH casing. Hoping these last a good amount longer while still providing adequate grip.

Unless you need a DH casing for rocks and slate I wouldn't go for that as it's a lot of extra rolling weight. DHF is a great tyre tho front and rear and I would recommend. Last time I rode them was on the YT, but that was the MaxGrip variety and they were fresh so super tacky.

Just been given a Set of Pirelli Scorpions after the latest video to try so will report back. Got the S & R compound. 2.6 though which I'm not a huge fan of, given the choice, but they were free!! According to Pirelli (we haven't fully tested them) they should hold their grip across the tyre life and offer loads of sidewall protection. Again, I'm regurging what they say I haven't tested them long term yet but they are going on the bike after the weekend.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
Maxxis Ardent EXO 29 x 2.4 black Rubber with knobby thingies. Tire works real good in any conditions I throw at it. Wears really well. I’d buy another.

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
Been using the Michelin E-Wild on the rear and wow it is awesome!
Always used Maxxis but kept getting punctures pretty easily and the
last front tire had an inherent wobble in it brand new. Tire feels much
more solid than the DHRII I was using and rolls great and most important
it grips really well. I have definitely found my new favorite rear tire.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
Been using the Michelin E-Wild on the rear and wow it is awesome!
Always used Maxxis but kept getting punctures pretty easily and the
last front tire had an inherent wobble in it brand new. Tire feels much
more solid than the DHRII I was using and rolls great and most important
it grips really well. I have definitely found my new favorite rear tire.

+1
On the rear, I've blown through DHR2, Magic Mary and Kenda Hellkat in AGC casing. None of these lasted more than a few rides.

The e-Wild has been great and I just bought a second for a backup.

I'd try an Eddy Current, but only available in 2.8 in 27.5 and I ride 2.6.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
+1
On the rear, I've blown through DHR2, Magic Mary and Kenda Hellkat in AGC casing. None of these lasted more than a few rides.

The e-Wild has been great and I just bought a second for a backup.

I'd try an Eddy Current, but only available in 2.8 in 27.5 and I ride 2.6.
you guys with the e wild - how does the volume compare to dhr/dhf? I did look at these, online just haven't seen them in person to check out the volume.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
If I could only have one rear tyre in the rear it would have to be: Maxxis DHRII 2.4 with Double Down casing in dual compound

Good performer in various conditions, plenty of grip and not too bad of a roller either. Dual compound and DD casing for added durability and longer lifecycle.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
you guys with the e wild - how does the volume compare to dhr/dhf? I did look at these, online just haven't seen them in person to check out the volume.

I just measured my tires with a digital caliper.
The 2.6 e-wild measures right at 2.6 and it's a tall tire.

By comparison, Maxxis always measure less than stated. I just measured my front 2.5WT Assegai at 2.4.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I just measured my tires with a digital caliper.
The 2.6 e-wild measures right at 2.6 and it's a tall tire.

By comparison, Maxxis always measure less than stated. I just measured my front 2.5WT Assegai at 2.4.
Assegai is definitely smaller than dhf - I have that on the front now for winter. I'll get the 2.6 (now on 2.5) next time. Although it's more the height that I like in high volume. Good to know about the ewild - thanks.

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
If I could only have one rear tyre in the rear it would have to be: Maxxis DHRII 2.4 with Double Down casing in dual compound

Good performer in various conditions, plenty of grip and not too bad of a roller either. Dual compound and DD casing for added durability and longer lifecycle.
Is that a thing? I've never seen a DHR2 in DD in a dual compound. Link?

Looks like it does come in 27.5x2.4 single compound downhill casing form, which is news to me -> TB91051600

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles