Pic of the Day

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Hearbreak Ridge, Ballater - Aberdeenshire yesterday. The climb is a long slog, and the downhill is epic. Hard on the body with all the rocks. Had to go back for a second shot though!!

IMG_5494.JPG

The top of the first climb - Mount Keen in the background... and at about 8.30 am, it was looking like it was going to be a lovely day!

IMG_5496.JPG

Ballater down below...

IMG_5498.JPG

Ready for the descent.

IMG_5502.JPG

Second time round - Range Extender back in the car. Completed the ride with 46% on my main battery, so could have probably done the 2 circuits without the RE if I'd been a bit more careful with the battery. I actually used a fair bit of Turbo as my legs didn't feel that great, and I didn't want to be too knackered for the descent.
Ride was 22 miles and 3500ft.

IMG_5513.jpg

Wooded area at the end of the ridge - someone had made a nice jump from a fallen tree!

I had my GoPro on for some of the ride, but haven't looked at the footage yet. Will see if the QUIK app can make me a 2 min highlights montage of my ride later!!

EDIT… bunged the footage into the GoPro QUIK app, and here’s what it came up with! Will have to go my Tarland Trails bits from the other day too!

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
E-Mythique has survived to 200km's without self destructing.

M510 motor is comparable to Gen4/Brose. Tektro brakes are better with different pads, but the levers don't give much power, TRP's on the way. Fork is absolute crap still - Zeb on the way.

1694427973323.png

Microshift Advent works well, but seems to harvest crap more than other derailleurs :

1694428080494.png

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
E-Mythique has survived to 200km's without self destructing.

M510 motor is comparable to Gen4/Brose. Tektro brakes are better with different pads, but the levers don't give much power, TRP's on the way. Fork is absolute crap still - Zeb on the way.

View attachment 124627

Microshift Advent works well, but seems to harvest crap more than other derailleurs :

View attachment 124628
Scottish Heather ( the kind that grows on hills ) is the ultimate for breaking derailleurs . You could probably cut a whole field of that French grass doon and its a pain to get out the jockey wheels.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Oh, that Scottish Heather. Sounds like someone who hangs around in graveyards drinking Special Brew!
There was a Merchant seaman (of ancient aspect and part Burmese heritage) whose aunt lived in my village. When he was on leave and after he'd spent most of his money in the flesh pots of Amsterdam, he used to come and stay with her for the rest of his leave. While here, he was down the pub every night. On his way home he would take a short cut through the unlit church graveyard. On one particular moonless night he left a bit later than usual and was chucked out of the pub before he could go to the loo. He stopped at one of the graves for a pee and was almost frightened out of his skin when the grave erupted in curses. One of the other "regulars" had passed out on the grave and had been awakened by being pee'd upon! :ROFLMAO:

That was forever after known as one of the stories of Chinese George (as he was known).

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
There was a Merchant seaman (of ancient aspect and part Burmese heritage) whose aunt lived in my village. When he was on leave and after he'd spent most of his money in the flesh pots of Amsterdam, he used to come and stay with her for the rest of his leave. While here, he was down the pub every night. On his way home he would take a short cut through the unlit church graveyard. On one particular moonless night he left a bit later than usual and was chucked out of the pub before he could go to the loo. He stopped at one of the graves for a pee and was almost frightened out of his skin when the grave erupted in curses. One of the other "regulars" had passed out on the grave and had been awakened by being pee'd upon! :ROFLMAO:

That was forever after known as one of the stories of Chinese George (as he was known).
Way of life for a merchant seaman same as the Fisherman from my town. You have to consume more drink because you didn't get as much when you were away from home . Saying that I started deep sea trawling at 15. A English mustard jar full to the brim was the measure of the dram at Breakfast, dinner and supper. Those were the days.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I’ve only rode deliverance a handful of times. Definitely a double black and well above my pay-grade. Had to walk a few parts …those were sketchy. Well done 👍🏻
Thanks! I have neve ridden Bean, Vics,, "?" Whips? or Bullet Dodger, how does Deliverance compare?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
In the middle of the bush, surely not?
While I was hanging about 200 yards away checking for voicemails from the emergency services, a young mountain biker passed by and enquired if I needed help. I thanked him, declined his kind offer and told him what was happening. He was sufficiently interested to follow me back to the lad. His first comment was that he thought it looked like concrete.

It may well have looked like concrete, but the ground leading up to it was becoming steadily more deeply rutted and spongy, with water at the bottom of the ruts. Despite what it might have looked like, the ground around it gave the game away. The grasses around the edges also are exactly what you find around ponds. All the signs were there for those with the experience to see them.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
While I was hanging about 200 yards away checking for voicemails from the emergency services, a young mountain biker passed by and enquired if I needed help. I thanked him, declined his kind offer and told him what was happening. He was sufficiently interested to follow me back to the lad. His first comment was that he thought it looked like concrete.

It may well have looked like concrete, but the ground leading up to it was becoming steadily more deeply rutted and spongy, with water at the bottom of the ruts. Despite what it might have looked like, the ground around it gave the game away. The reeds around the edges also are exactly what you find around ponds. All the signs were there for those with the experience to see them.
A 14 year old on lad remember. He wouldn't analyse it . I've put a trials bike deep in bog . Crashed on ice thinking it was water .

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Thanks! I have neve ridden Bean, Vics,, "?" Whips? or Bullet Dodger, how does Deliverance compare?
I don’t mind ‘Lower Vicks’ or ‘Bean’ , but ‘Bullet Dodger’ is an end of the day kinda trail(steep too) and tougher than Deliverance IMO . I usually take Bullet Catcher instead (connector). Never rode Misery Whip (yet). When I don’t take the upper trails (Saw Blade, Mental Floss, Sandinista) then I’m usually on the lower trails (Fluid, Hustler, Franks).

Lately I’ve been riding and maintaining trails off of Woodlands Walk. Some crazy-big-jumps there but I’ve added some chicken-lanes so the rangers don’t lose their minds when they see the jumps and gaps. (Red Bull level).

I really recommend SawBlade though. Steep down-hill but leads into a big loop and interesting sites. Take pics and check it off the list.
IMG_8388.jpeg

Solo ride a few years ago.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hearbreak Ridge, Ballater - Aberdeenshire yesterday. The climb is a long slog, and the downhill is epic. Hard on the body with all the rocks. Had to go back for a second shot though!!

View attachment 124616
The top of the first climb - Mount Keen in the background... and at about 8.30 am, it was looking like it was going to be a lovely day!

View attachment 124617
Ballater down below...

View attachment 124618
Ready for the descent.

View attachment 124619
Second time round - Range Extender back in the car. Completed the ride with 46% on my main battery, so could have probably done the 2 circuits without the RE if I'd been a bit more careful with the battery. I actually used a fair bit of Turbo as my legs didn't feel that great, and I didn't want to be too knackered for the descent.
Ride was 22 miles and 3500ft.

View attachment 124620
Wooded area at the end of the ridge - someone had made a nice jump from a fallen tree!

I had my GoPro on for some of the ride, but haven't looked at the footage yet. Will see if the QUIK app can make me a 2 min highlights montage of my ride later!!

EDIT… bunged the footage into the GoPro QUIK app, and here’s what it came up with! Will have to go my Tarland Trails bits from the other day too!

Video makes it looks easier than it is . Some steep boulder steps I remember two I walked.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Video makes it looks easier than it is . Some steep boulder steps I remember two I walked.
One of them is in the video (just before the forest section) and the other I walked down the first time, and rode the second. I was a bit wary being on my own… but I passed a guy on the way up, so figured there would be someone coming behind me shortly 😂

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles