Orbea Wild FS - a few questions

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
Why did you buy this bike then, if you feel compelled to change the whole geo, to make it fit?
At least, give it a go first!

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
[QUOTE="Mteam, post: 203353, member: 11387"
I've found that the fork steerer tube on the fox 36 ebike fork must have a narrower inside diameter than a regular fox 36 fork because the granite design steerer tube tool doesnt fit in it.
[/QUOTE]

interesting, I've found that my EDC tool is tight right in the middle of the steerer on my 38's. I think they have beefed up the steerer tube on the inside for the e bikes?
Its not a problem, I have the EDC tool and the housing attached to the bottom of it (with tyre plug kit, quicklink tool and other assorted spares) and it gets tight right in the middle of the steerer. Luckily it comes up easily for the first 20mm of pulling it out, then you can get a decent grip and just pull it out past the tough bit.
If I just insert the EDC tool without the bottom canniser attached, it's fine. and looking down it with a torch, it seems to be thicker right in the middle.

jake--d

Mar 18, 2021
UK
Got the bike, 29" is rad. Caught my ass a few times but the bike is great. Is there any app to accompany the bosch motor? A few friends have specialized that have an app that tracks distance etc...

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
Got the bike, 29" is rad. Caught my ass a few times but the bike is great. Is there any app to accompany the bosch motor? A few friends have specialized that have an app that tracks distance etc...
Not that I'm aware of. do you have a Purion or kiox?

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Yes there's is, it's called bosch ebike connect but it's rubbish, only works with kiox and upwards displays, doesn't work with purion

It's so bad I uninstalled it, I just reinstall it if there is a new kiox firmware update that needs to be installed

Last edited:

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Yeah, the app is borderline useless. The one thing I like about it is that it's fairly simple to search for an arbitrary destination on a map and ask the Kiox to point the way. That's only useful because the Garmin equivalent requires a ridiculous workaround with Sendpoints.

However, there is a catch. The Bosch app is so primitive about its navigation database/algorithm that it will gleefully plot a route right through roads that are and always have been closed to the public. I'd have to hop a fence topped with barbed wire, cruise around right through the middle of sensitive federal government property, and go straight through an armed security checkpoint if I followed some of its navigation directions.

geardoc

Apr 13, 2021
Vermont
Hey, has anyone successfully put a 27.5 on the rear of a Wild FS? I'm picking one up soon and being a pretty short guy I'm wondering about giving my back end a bit of room to breath over the 29"

<Click>, since I'd also like to know this.

da12641

May 10, 2021
Orange County California
Hey, has anyone successfully put a 27.5 on the rear of a Wild FS? I'm picking one up soon and being a pretty short guy I'm wondering about giving my back end a bit of room to breath over the 29"

I have now for about two months. The mullet will be permanent. I mainly did it because at 50 years old, I'm now learning how to jump, drops and was concern the 29er rear would buck my butt.
Specs:
2021 Orbea Wild FS H25 mullet 29/27, 180mm Zeb, MRP progressive coil 450lbs, 36T chain ring, 220 rotors. Weight is about 26kg.

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

Jump2.jpg

jake--d

Mar 18, 2021
UK
I have now for about two months. The mullet will be permanent. I mainly did it because at 50 years old, I'm now learning how to jump, drops and was concern the 29er rear would buck my butt.
Specs:
2021 Orbea Wild FS H25 mullet 29/27, 180mm Zeb, MRP progressive coil 450lbs, 36T chain ring, 220 rotors. Weight is about 26kg.

View attachment 80579

View attachment 80580

View attachment 80581
I’ve done the same now. Best thing I did for that bike. It’s made it so much more playable and enjoyable. I like the idea of a coil shock, that could be the next upgrade

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Specs:

View attachment 80579

View attachment 80580

View attachment 80581

When I zoom in on your second picture with the side view of your bike it looks like your frame has the same crack mine developed. You might want to take a close look at that.

C8BAF398-2708-4803-8273-EF453E76A3CE.jpeg

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada

yolo_MTB

Oct 13, 2020
California/USA
Mullet = YES. Rides great. I do need to do something to compensate for the low pedals though. Still on the 160 Fork, so that's one place to start. Could also go 150 Cranks, and there are also those headset extenders that will raise your bike 10-20mm.
1643071177414.png

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Mullet = YES. Rides great. I do need to do something to compensate for the low pedals though. Still on the 160 Fork, so that's one place to start. Could also go 150 Cranks, and there are also those headset extenders that will raise your bike 10-20mm. View attachment 80707

If you're going to raise the frame up 10mm you might as well increase your travel 10mm. Can you measure your BB height? I'm running 170mm travel forks, recommend it to anyone with a Wild.

yolo_MTB

Oct 13, 2020
California/USA
If you're going to raise the frame up 10mm you might as well increase your travel 10mm. Can you measure your BB height? I'm running 170mm travel forks, recommend it to anyone with a Wild.
Ill check that out this afternoon for ya. Yeah, does seem like adding 10mm travel gives you the bonus of more plush along with the higher bb. I think it costs the same as far as parts go. Also figured that when the fork is compressing that I would be losing that benefit. And I know how to take a fork off and put on a ring, but have never opened a fox 38 and tried to replace the travel :)

yolo_MTB

Oct 13, 2020
California/USA
Ill check that out this afternoon for ya. Yeah, does seem like adding 10mm travel gives you the bonus of more plush along with the higher bb. I think it costs the same as far as parts go. Also figured that when the fork is compressing that I would be losing that benefit. And I know how to take a fork off and put on a ring, but have never opened a fox 38 and tried to replace the travel :)
Also, now that I am used to the slacker angle, I am not sure if I would want to go to a full 29er, so changing fork to 170 would make up for some of that difference I would be losing.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada

I can see why you'd say that, but I would think if your fork is fully compressed you wouldn't be concerned with pedal strikes?
I'm just thinking when I'm jumping and my fork is completely compressed my cranks are usually flat, not one down and the other up?
So pedal strikes with the fork fully compressed wouldn't be something I would think you're concerned with.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with wanting to do it your way, just saying 10mm more travel is nicer than just 10mm added to your stack height :)

yolo_MTB

Oct 13, 2020
California/USA
I can see why you'd say that, but I would think if your fork is fully compressed you wouldn't be concerned with pedal strikes?
I'm just thinking when I'm jumping and my fork is completely compressed my cranks are usually flat, not one down and the other up?
So pedal strikes with the fork fully compressed wouldn't be something I would think you're concerned with.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with wanting to do it your way, just saying 10mm more travel is nicer than just 10mm added to your stack height :)
You are probobly right. Most of my pedal strikes are at higher speeds on sniper rocks, more than on a big hit!

jake--d

Mar 18, 2021
UK
Great looking bike, I am also considering a mullet setup as I have shorts leg and I am 80% torso.

Did you have to do anything to the software to change the speed limiter or?

Would you think bb would be too low with the stock 160 mm fork?
Local Bosch dealer sorted the software and I had to get a magnet from a Turbo Levo as it was the only one strong enough to work (about £6 from Leisure Lakes). The BB is fine, there's not been anything on trail/DH track that I've caught it on. So currently, all good. Definitely the best change to the bike

Mar 10, 2022
United Kingdom
Local Bosch dealer sorted the software and I had to get a magnet from a Turbo Levo as it was the only one strong enough to work (about £6 from Leisure Lakes). The BB is fine, there's not been anything on trail/DH track that I've caught it on. So currently, all good. Definitely the best change to the bike
Thanks for the reply
Yeah I was looking at the turbo levo magnets for 6 bolt, I have an original orbea 6 bolt on it's way, thinking that will do the trick.

Mar 10, 2022
United Kingdom
Depends on your riding no? Riding here in the uk it's often wet, sloppy and so this 2.4 michelin wired, mud tyre has honestly been amazing
Denmark, pretty much the same conditions summer is pretty dry and fast for a few months after that it is just like riding in chocolate mousse.
I was just worried about BB height tbh.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles