Orbea wild fs 20 bar stem dimensions?

Chrisk7

Oct 15, 2021
Oregon USA
I've been looking all over the place trying to find an adjustable 35mm bar stem to raise the bars on my bike to a more comfortable level for me but I can't seem to find any in the states.
I think the bars are 35mm but I'm unsure of the head tube diameter that I need. The only ones I've found seem to be for 31mm bars and something like 28mm forktube diam. I'm new to all this so I hope I'm making some sort of sense.

Basically what can I do to get the bars up a little bit more and has anyone done this with the Orbea Wild FS 20?
My bike is a 21 model year if that helps.

Thanks for any insight or links to products.

Chrisk7

Oct 15, 2021
Oregon USA
Yeah that is an idea too I suppose. I just figured carbon bars like I have would be quite a bit more expensive than a riser.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
I've been looking all over the place trying to find an adjustable 35mm bar stem to raise the bars on my bike to a more comfortable level for me but I can't seem to find any in the states.
I think the bars are 35mm but I'm unsure of the head tube diameter that I need. The only ones I've found seem to be for 31mm bars and something like 28mm forktube diam. I'm new to all this so I hope I'm making some sort of sense.

Basically what can I do to get the bars up a little bit more and has anyone done this with the Orbea Wild FS 20?
My bike is a 21 model year if that helps.

Thanks for any insight or links to products.
Chris,

There are three methods for raising the handlebar height on your bike. 1) Raise the stem height using stem/headset spacers. 2) Purchase a stem with a higher degree of stem angle/rise. 3) Purchase a higher "Rise" handlebar.

1) Headset/Stem Spacer Adjustment.
Changing the bar height on your bike will alter your bike's handling. As an example, a lower bar height will lower your body
and shift the center of gravity forward towards the front wheel. This will give the front wheel added traction and control, but the possibility of going over the bar increases should you stick a wheel. Raising the bar height raises your body and shift's the center of gravity back on the bike. This is a good thing if you like charging down steep rock sections. However, on steep climbs your front wheel may want to lift off or wonder a bit due to your body's center of gravity being biased towards the rear of the bike. Finding the correct center of gravity/bar height for your riding style and terrain is a balancing act.

This leads into adjustment # 1 - Headset Spacers. Most manufacturers will typically cut the fork steerer tube a bit long and add headset spacers above and below the stem. You can shuffle these spacers, i.e. move them underneath the stem or on top of the stem to raise or lower the Stem/Handlebar height to preference.

1657767425182.png

Your Wild will have come from the factory with a "Threadless" stem. You mention trying to buy an adjustable stem. I would strongly advise against doing so. Adjustable stems are more suited for city bikes or bikes which are ridden on smooth bike paths. If you plan to use your bike on rugged trails, the loads placed on the adjustable stem are greatly increased and it could fail. You could be hurt badly and there are better and safer alternatives to getting your handlebar to a more comfortable position for your body.

Threadless stem designed for mountain biking
1657768302176.png

Threadless adjustable stem designed for city or smooth path riding
1657768496675.png

Here is an excellent Park Tool article on "Threadless" stem removal and installation:

Seen below is a picture of my Rise with OneUp 50mm stem and EDC threadless tool carrier. The stem height has been raised as high as safely possible using three headset spacers beneath the stem.

Note: To maintain a safe and sufficient stem clamping area, the stem should not be raised more than 1/8" or 3mm above the top of the steerer tube.
IMG_1703.jpg

Whether using the stem or a headset spacer, there should always be a 3mm gap above the top of the steerer tube. This allows the stem top cap to be tightened and a sufficient pre-load be placed upon the stem and headset. You never want the stem or headset spacer to be flush with the top of the steerer tube.

Park Tool photograph depicting 3mm gap above steerer tube using stem.
Image1ax.jpg

Park Tool photograph depicting 3mm gap above steerer tube using headset spacer.
Image1axx.jpg

Stems typically have three measurements. The measurements can be confusing to a person new to mountain biking. All modern threadless mountain bike stems as a general rule are made to fit an industry standardized 1 1/8" fork steerer tube diameter. Note, some heavier duty suspension made for Downhill or Enduro, may have a larger steering tube diameter.

Stem Measurement 1: The length of the stem, i.e. 50mm long, 35mm long, etc. The length of a stem has a significant impact on how your bike handles and rider positioning on the bike. Here is an article on mountain bike stem length.

Measurement 2: The handlebar clamp diameter. Most modern mountain bike handlebars will typically have a clamping diameter of 31.8mm or 35mm in diameter. There are pro and con to each diameter of handlebar. As a general rule, 31.8 tends to be more complaint whereas 35mm tends to be stiffer. Here is an article on handlebar diameter.

Measurement 3: Stem angle/rise. Stems come in various angles/rises which allow the height of the handlebar to be adjusted upwards or downwards to suit rider preference and position on the bike. On modern short mountain bike stems, i.e. 50mm or less, the stem angle/rise is less noticeable due to the short stem length.

1657810073333.png

3) Handlebar "Rise"

If you find that your Wild does not have sufficiently long steerer tube length to raise the stem/handlebar height, then you should look at purchasing a handlebar with a higher "Rise". If you are a tall person or have a disability that requires you sit up taller on the bike, then changing your Wild's handlebar rise is a good alternative.

The picture below depicts Renthal handlebars with various "Rise" configurations.
1657811066876.png

Modern mountain bike handlebars basically have four measurements you should be aware of:

1. Rise - The amount of bar rise above the handlebar clamping area's horizontal plane.

2. Back Sweep - The amount of back sweep past the handlebar's clamping area.

3. Diameter of the handlebar - 31.8 or 35mm

4. Width of handlebar - A wider handlebar offers more steering control/leverage than an overly narrow handlebar

Here is an excellent article on handlebars, height and positioning.

Here is an excellent YouTube video on types of handlebars

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles