Orbea Rise 2022

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I would then choose the upcoming Levo SL as my light weight bikes for me and my family.

When I bought my levo sl , I was mildly annoyed that the ksl needed a different cable to the lsl - but at least the range extenders remained compatible ! My eventual plan is a family fleet with a few range extenders across several bikes, allowing everything from long group rides to insane solo rides .

I was half hoping to jump ship to orbea , perhaps an m10 for me and h30's for the kids? The incompatible extenders sunk that ship.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
When I bought my levo sl , I was mildly annoyed that the ksl needed a different cable to the lsl - but at least the range extenders remained compatible ! My eventual plan is a family fleet with a few range extenders across several bikes, allowing everything from long group rides to insane solo rides .

I was half hoping to jump ship to orbea , perhaps an m10 for me and h30's for the kids? The incompatible extenders sunk that ship.
With tech evolving day to day and improvements made from gen 1 to gen 2 ect with all bikes, if the better/improved charging port on the H isn’t upgradable to the M model Orbea missed big and all their engineers need to check themselves. It’s been pretty clear from day 1 that the charging port cover was designed from Fischer Price and the most brittle part on the bike.

Does the M range extender not match up with the different battery tech in the H or what, because changing the pig tale end would be a simple and inexpensive upgrade for all of us M owners who wanted to use this extender on the H.

Last edited:

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
This bike looks awesome, even taking money out of the equation, I would take the alloy bike all day.

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
Hi, I've try to send a mail to orbea for have the 10% réduction on range extender. I've buy my rise 3 month ago, they say no, reduction is just for the 2022 models.

Kyle_AZ_eMTB

Feb 5, 2021
Arizona
The other bonus with my new H-Rise is that it (accidentally) came with the full power 💪 Shimano Firmware. Since receiving the bike I've been instructed to take it to my local dealer to have the firmware changed to the RS version to maintain the warranty status 🤓📜👮‍♂️

mtbrdan

Aug 5, 2020
Scotts Valley,CA
Picked up my H30 this afternoon and got started on the first of the mods, moved the Dissector to the back and put a DHF up front, tubeless, SWAT cage, saddle and tool wrap. Will take it for a range test/shakedown tomorrow then drop it off for major surgery, new cockpit, Fox factory 36 160, XT 4 pistons with a 203 up front, Float X2 etc. Reserve 29's when they come back around. Size large was 45.3 lbs without pedals and can confirm the Shimano display as standard.

IMG_0322.jpg

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Picked up my H30 this afternoon and got started on the first of the mods, moved the Dissector to the back and put a DHF up front, tubeless, SWAT cage, saddle and tool wrap. Will take it for a range test/shakedown tomorrow then drop it off for major surgery, new cockpit, Fox factory 36 160, XT 4 pistons with a 203 up front, Float X2 etc. Reserve 29's when they come back around. Size large was 45.3 lbs without pedals and can confirm the Shimano display as standard.

View attachment 77894
I'm not sure you can fit the X2 on it though. Those who tried report it rubbing.

pnzio

Dec 11, 2021
Dublin / Ireland
Hi guys. Can anyone confirm whenever they have fixed the motor rattle. Have h15 ordered and can't wait for it but am slightly worried about the rattling noise

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
The rattle can't be fixed on the ep8, it's the operation clearance for the gear and the clutch which rattle in freewheel. It's normal

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Hi guys. Can anyone confirm whenever they have fixed the motor rattle. Have h15 ordered and can't wait for it but am slightly worried about the rattling noise
It's just how the EP8 works. It's not a bug, it's a feature. I learned to live with it, and I'm usually very sensitive to my bike making noises. Can't handle and brake rub, or I have to stop and fix it for example. But for me it's different when I know it's supposed to make the sound. It is still a bit annoying, but it doesn't bother me enough to not love riding the bike.

mtbrdan

Aug 5, 2020
Scotts Valley,CA
Ummm, wow....What a great bike! Yes there are some immediate upgrades ( brakes ) that will only make it better but right out the box the H30 is a blast. My first experience with the Shimano rattle and yeah it is less than desirable but it only happens on the downhills and it can be ignored. First ride was 18 miles and 3700 feet of climbing, mostly trail with a decent amount of Boost in the second half of the ride. Super solid.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Ummm, wow....What a great bike! Yes there are some immediate upgrades ( brakes ) that will only make it better but right out the box the H30 is a blast. My first experience with the Shimano rattle and yeah it is less than desirable but it only happens on the downhills and it can be ignored. First ride was 18 miles and 3700 feet of climbing, mostly trail with a decent amount of Boost in the second half of the ride. Super solid.
Glad you like it. My M10 leaves me grinning after every ride. The fact that I can always do an 18/2900’ and be exhausted, but not have the extended knee recovery after each big ride is a bonus. You will like it that much more with the XT 8120/ 203 rotor upgrade. As someone mentioned the X2 may only fit on an XL frame and may be a stretch on a large, so you’ll have to figure this out.

As far as the rattle goes, between cable rattle, chain slap, hub noise and trail chatter it all kinda blends in. I know my Ripley also makes tons of noise, so it’s not that much difference to me.

Roc

Oct 13, 2021
Belgium

View attachment 77894
Given that your attend to modify a lot of component on your H30, Why did you take a H30 and not a H15 or H10 ? Availability ? Price ? Other ? I'm interested in knowing why did you take this decision. :unsure::)

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Given that your attend to modify a lot of component on your H30, Why did you take a H30 and not a H15 or H10 ? Availability ? Price ? Other ? I'm interested in knowing why did you take this decision. :unsure::)
I made similar choice, and for me it was because:
a) M10 wasn't available anywhere near me
b) Even if M10 was available, I already had most of the components I want already, and paying for for example a fox 36 makes no sense when I will switch to a mezzer pro no matter what. I had the bar, brakes, carbon wheels and fork already lying around.

Roc

Oct 13, 2021
Belgium
Ah OK, I understand(y)
and will you bike be lighter after its "tuning" ? Or do you want this upgrade to convert the bike in something more enduro ?

curious to know what are the mtbrdan's arguments

mtbrdan

Aug 5, 2020
Scotts Valley,CA
Availability and price. No H15's for a few months and very few if any H10's around here. Works out well for me since I tend to heavily modify most of my bikes. Got in another ride this morning before the rain, 20 miles, 4000 feet of climbing, mostly trail and turbo, one bar left back at the house.

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
Ah OK, I understand(y)
and will you bike be lighter after its "tuning" ? Or do you want this upgrade to convert the bike in something more enduro ?

Some of us bought the H30 because we weigh 225 lbs kitted up and need a more robust suspension setup (which in turn will be more reliable going forward). Most riders weigh around 160->180 lbs kitted up, so we are basically carrying a whole extra bike H30 (45 lbs +) in our body - lol.

For example, I'll be replacing the front fork with a Mezzer Pro as well, and the rear shock with a Mara Pro. Both of which I use on my other bikes and I have experience with.

The DPS is really a POS shock for someone a bit heavier, you need to pump that shock up to almost 300 psi to get the sag in the baseline (25-30% sag) - compared to 160 psi on the Mara Pro.

By the time I'll have my H30 upgraded to my liking, it'll cost slightly more than a H10 after selling the stock parts being replaced.

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 12.37.16 PM.png

Last edited:

kotto25

Oct 27, 2021
New Jersey
I have an H30 on order which is supposed to ship this week. Got the H30 because I will also be changing just about everything out. Some things I already have from another bike (wheels, AXS, Reverb). Also plan on doing a coil shock on the back and either a Mezzer or a 36 factory on the front.
Really wish they had a frame/motor only option.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Ah OK, I understand(y)

lighter, and with more or less same geo and much easier to service myself.

Roc

Oct 13, 2021
Belgium
Some of us bought the H30 because we weigh 225 lbs kitted up and need a more robust suspension setup (which in turn will be more reliable going forward). Most riders weigh around 160->180 lbs kitted up, so we are basically carrying a whole extra bike H30 (45 lbs +) in our body - lol.

For example, I'll be replacing the front fork with a Mezzer Pro as well, and the rear shock with a Mara Pro. Both of which I use on my other bikes and I have experience with.

The DPS is really a POS shock for someone a bit heavier, you need to pump that shock up to almost 300 psi to get the sag in the baseline (25-30% sag) - compared to 160 psi on the Mara Pro.

By the time I'll have my H30 upgraded to my liking, it'll cost slightly more than a H10 after selling the stock parts being replaced.

View attachment 78072
Thanks to share your configuration
if I’m not wrong, you keep only the frame and the battery from the original bike 🙃
👏
Let us share some photo when the bike will be ready please !!!

Roc

Oct 13, 2021
Belgium
lighter, and with more or less same geo and much easier to service myself.
👍 OK I can understand !!
but how much weight can be gained changing several pieces ?
I guess the wheels will allow to gain a max of weigh. Isn’t it ?

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
👍 OK I can understand !!
but how much weight can be gained changing several pieces ?
I guess the wheels will allow to gain a max of weigh. Isn’t it ?
Most of the weight I saved was on wheels. XMC 1200 are only 1500 grams, so quite light. I put on a lighter dropper, lighter cassette and lighter cockpit but heavier fork, shock and brakes so in total it's just a little bit lighter but much better performance.

Reactions: Roc

kotto25

Oct 27, 2021
New Jersey
Bummed out today. My H30 was supposed to ship today, but has been postponed 2 weeks. Really hope it doesn't get delayed any longer then that.

mtbrdan

Aug 5, 2020
Scotts Valley,CA
Here are my thoughts so far after asked by someone on MTBR to compare to the carbon Rise....

I haven't ridden the carbon version but I did come from a highly modified Levo SL that I sold off about 9 months ago. Only 2 rides in so far and I am very impressed, quite the fun bike at a really good price. Most people will be very happy with the build, for myself as usual I am changing a lot, 160mm Fox 36 Grip2, DHF up front, chucked the Rekon, and moved the Dissector to the back but with all this rain I am throwing on a pair of Shorty mud spikes on tomorrow, XT 4 piston 203/180, Enve carbon bar and stem and a new saddle for now. Next will be some carbon wheels, new rear shock though I am not sure what yet, maybe a Push, maybe Fox Float X. And yeah drivetrain too eventually.

All that said it works very well from the get go. Using a mix of trail and turbo and not changing any settings 20 something miles and 4k feet are easy, if you had the discipline to only run Eco some really bigs rides are possible ( though maybe not with the Shortys! ) I will likely pick up the range extender when available for some truly epic rides such as the Downieville backcountry.

I am very impressed with the Shimano motor and control system and the rattle is something that can be lived with.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
I've been looking at the Rise for a while and now looking at either the H15 or M10. I currently have a 2020 Turbo Levo with an upgraded Fox 36 160mm fork, love the bike but I do think it is quite heavy. 90% of my rides with others are with friends on regular bikes, but I can not ride a regular one due to a small chronic medical issue. I am advancing my rides and learning drops and such and would love a more agile/lighter bike. The full levo is also often more than I need; I still like to work on the uphill and mainly use it in the 15%-40% assist (40% of steep climbs). I've never ran out of battery.

On average my rides are 12km/7miles with 600 meter/ 2000ft elevation. That would be the average ride, sometimes I do 20km. I did one ride of 32km last year, but even then still had 35% of battery left.

I am a short female of about 145lbs, would be looking at a size small. Now I was set on an M-series until my bike shop told me they have H15's coming in as well and now I am in doubt... Do I go for the carbon, lighter M series, or do I get the H15 with slightly more weight? Does anyone one know the actual weight difference (as in, is it a 2kg or 5km?)?

Would love some help making a decision...

Wintyfresh

Dec 14, 2021
Ramona, CA
I'll weigh in; I currently ride a Husqvarna Mountain Cross 5. I enjoy the bike but the weight is off-putting, so I test rode an M edition bike. The weight difference was amazing but the power hit noticeable, and I worried about the 360Wh battery limiting the range. Ultimately I passed on it. Then I saw they were coming out with the H15; still significantly lighter but with just a bit less battery (504Wh vs 630) than my current bike. Perfect! I'm still a bit bummed Orbea is using the EP8-RS (I don't use the EP8's full power very often, but when I do it is nice to have) in these bikes but am not opposed to unlocking it.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
I've been looking at the Rise for a while and now looking at either the H15 or M10. I currently have a 2020 Turbo Levo with an upgraded Fox 36 160mm fork, love the bike but I do think it is quite heavy. 90% of my rides with others are with friends on regular bikes, but I can not ride a regular one due to a small chronic medical issue. I am advancing my rides and learning drops and such and would love a more agile/lighter bike. The full levo is also often more than I need; I still like to work on the uphill and mainly use it in the 15%-40% assist (40% of steep climbs). I've never ran out of battery.

On average my rides are 12km/7miles with 600 meter/ 2000ft elevation. That would be the average ride, sometimes I do 20km. I did one ride of 32km last year, but even then still had 35% of battery left.

I am a short female of about 145lbs, would be looking at a size small. Now I was set on an M-series until my bike shop told me they have H15's coming in as well and now I am in doubt... Do I go for the carbon, lighter M series, or do I get the H15 with slightly more weight? Does anyone one know the actual weight difference (as in, is it a 2kg or 5km?)?

Would love some help making a decision...

Interesting query, I think I can give some insight. I have an XL rise m20 (egregiously modified and made heavier, tires etc) and my wife has a medium m20 that is mostly stock. I've checked out the H series of rise's at my local bike shop and pedaled them around the parking lot to compare them to mine, my wife has not done that yet... but she has ridden hers with the range extender. I can feel the difference between my bike with the range extender on vs off. that just so happens to be the weight difference between the H series and the M series (all other things being constant). It's not detrimental to what the rise is as an experience.

The m series with range extender or h series without... is very much a mountain bike experience instead of a traditional full power/weight ebike experience. The extra weight of the range extender and the h series, makes it a bit harder to bunny hop the bike and makes the bike a single notch less nimble to direction changes and transitional lean over situations. That being said, my wife, who struggles with advanced techniques and does not ride assertively and confidently, does notice the extra weight when she is at her technical ability limit. I wouldn't say it stops her from achieving things on the bike or affect her riding negatively, but maneuvering the bike in/around the garage is more difficult, getting on teh bike rack is more difficult, getting the front wheel off teh ground requires more commitment from her, that she doesn't always have the confidence to do. For context, my wife is 5'8" - 120lbs on a medium. My wife is for sure, a novice rider across the board and doesn't do anything gnarly what so ever. I'm the exact opposite.

The summary version is that I wouldn't sweat it between the two, but the good news is that they are different enough that I feel, there is a set of if/then decisions to make that would lead you to one over the other.

I would chose the m series of the h series if:
-the majority of my ebike rides were going to be in the 10-15 mile - 1,500 - 2,000 of vertical rides
-I planned on buying the range extender so I could tailor the weight of the bike to the ride I intend to do
-if I struggled with issues dealing with moving the bike around, and getting it on bike rack and I had similar dimensions that my wife does (4lbs doesn't seem like much, but it does make a difference when you're only 120lbs)
-If I planned up having this bike for a long time, and was planning on upgrading it

I would chose the h series over the m series if:
-I had no intention of buying the range extender and just wanted a more simplified battery setup without choices
-was the kind of person that was hard on my equipment, and crashed a lot and didn't want to worry about it
-I wanted ultimate battery capacity, but still didn't want a full power ebike and the weight that comes with it
-had budget constraints and/or felt that I could get a better bike overall with the same budget, if I sacrificed a bit on overall weight, to move up a tier in model to get better suspension/brakes etc

I would chose either interchangably and not look back if one was in stock and the other one wasn't. In truth, they are both great bikes... for the most part, you can't tell the difference in the weight... but the m series does allow you to keep the bike under 38-39lbs in a medium or start with a light bike, and add double down tires and cushcore and still be under 40 lbs. The h series, allows you to have a more simplified, battery setup that matches a wider range of rides with this bike, at a crazy value price point.

TLDR? You win either way....
-

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles