Orbea Rise 2022

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
Don't get your panties in a bunch peeps.... the carbon model is going to cost you more when you factor in the range extender, but you get the ability to tailor the weight of the bike to match the ride you are going to do. While I do like the battery size provided on the H models... I wouldn't want to always be stuck with a bike that is slightly heavier then same as my carbon rise with the range extender.

Now that being said, Orbea really killed it with this bike. the price point and spec is class leading imo and this bike provides a great amount of flexibility for people that would be on the edge, but aren't going to tinker or get the range extender. Awesome bike.

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
I've had my M10 for just shy of a year and I love it. There is no direct comparison of models carbon vs alu. Builds are different. To get an alu bike with the same components as my M10, I'd end up paying the same or even a little more than I paid. I realize the M10 is $1100 more now than when I bought, so that's not a good comparison either. My point is, I love my bike and I'm happy that Orbea is expanding the Rise line. Am I ticked because the battery is bigger on the alu? Heck no! I have plenty of battery for what I need and I have a lighter and better bike. Would I buy an alu version if I were buying right now....maybe, maybe not. Different strokes for different folks. Enjoy what you have a don't bi*** about new stuff coming out. Just like computers, there will always be newer (and maybe better to some) stuff coming. If I wait forever, I'll get exactly what I deserve....nothing.

Trail Blazer

Jun 13, 2021
Sweden
Well yes it class leading but not thinking a bit further down the road 7 - 9000 € ish bikes is not excusable IMO…

I also got the SP Levo Gen 3 Pro but will not buy the Comp alu version….that’s the difference between SP and Orbea

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
Reserved the H15. A much as you get for the extra $1k US in the H10 (brakes, wheels and fox factory fork), the H15 looks like a steel and a I like that it's bit slacker than the H10 with the 150mm fork. Now the wait begins....

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
So I think the reasons originally given for the EP8 RS motor having a lower torque output (60nm) were that the smaller battery used in the carbon rise could not deliver enough amps to provide the usual torque (85nm) of the ep8 motor. So if the new aluminium rise has a 500wh battery - why isnt the motor delivering full fat levels of torque?

I guess it must be because the individual cells used in the battery are configured in such a way that while it has a higher wh than the battery used in the carbon bike, it still cant deliver the amps needed for the motor to give 85nm. Maybe that's why the alu bike is still so much lighter than a full fat bike? ie it has less cells in the battery.

either way - this looks like a great bike - and I suspect we're not too far away from a manufacturer creating a bike with full fat levels of power/torque and range but at a significantly lower weight than most current full fat bikes.

Last edited:

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Price isn't that different. H10-M10 is £1000 more for carbon>alu and slightly larger battery, but theres £180 Rrp between a 34 and 36. That's about right for a carbon frame

I'm puzzled why the larger battery won't fit the carbon - the 2 bolts on the downtube look in the same place and the brackets that attach to those are screwed onto the battery. Theres nothing else in the way within the downtube except the cables and hoses.

That said, it's pretty rare I actually need the extender for a ride.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
So I think the reasons originally given for the EP8 RS motor having a lower torque output (60nm) were that the smaller battery used in the carbon rise could not deliver enough amps to provide the usual torque (85nm) of the ep8 motor. So if the new aluminium rise has a 500wh battery - why isnt the motor delivering full fat levels of torque?

I guess it must be because the individual cells used in the battery are configured in such a way that while it has a higher wh than the battery used in the carbon bike, it still cant deliver the amps needed for the motor to give 85nm. Maybe that's why the alu bike is still so much lighter than a full fat bike? ie it has less cells in the battery.

either way - this looks like a great bike - and I suspect we're not too far away from a manufacturer creating a bike with full fat levels of power/torque and range but at a significantly lower weight than most current full fat bikes.
The 360 Wh battery is a 20 cells battery. 10s2p config, 5000mAh cells. The 540 is a 30 cells battery, same energy density, so I guess it's the same cells. Should be able to deliver 50% more current.

This bike is possibly just a software update away from being that lightweight and "cheap" bike with full power... Unless I'm mistaken, the bike can only be ridden in Eco when using the extender. At least that's how I interpret the info in the press kit, haven't tested the carbon Rise. If that is the case, the extender isn't a limiting factor.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
The 360 Wh battery is a 20 cells battery. 10s2p config, 5000mAh cells. The 540 is a 30 cells battery, same energy density, so I guess it's the same cells. Should be able to deliver 50% more current.

This bike is possibly just a software update away from being that lightweight and "cheap" bike with full power... Unless I'm mistaken, the bike can only be ridden in Eco when using the extender. At least that's how I interpret the info in the press kit, haven't tested the carbon Rise. If that is the case, the extender isn't a limiting factor.
The 360 battery is the same 21700 cells (rather than the older 18650s). No issues using the range extender in all riding modes.

What puzzles me more is the Orbea info suggests the H model has a diffent range extender which seems nuts - it's a battery in a bottle cage, why would it need to be in anyway different?

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Reserved the H15. A much as you get for the extra $1k US in the H10 (brakes, wheels and fox factory fork), the H15 looks like a steel and a I like that it's bit slacker than the H10 with the 150mm fork. Now the wait begins....
Did you check availability on the H15? Around here the H30 is available, and a few H10. The H15 is expected february. And I assume one could factor in some dealy...

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
The 360 battery is the same 21700 cells (rather than the older 18650s). No issues using the range extender in all riding modes.
Okay, then the extender battery probably is the reason for sticking with the 60Nm motor.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
The carbon M10 is by far the best bang for your buck at $8600 of the four carbon models. Is the H10 with all the upgrades to match the M10 spec worth the extra $960. Fox 36, Float X, 8120 brakes. With these upgrades the H10 price is $7635. For me a 3.5 lb lighter carbon bike is worth it to me and makes a big difference it late braking and throwing the bike around tight single track. I was fortunate enough to pay the 8k prior to the $600 increase, but I would still gladly buy the M10 over the H10 if I were buying today.

Remember the hype about this 36 lb bike. My M10 weighed roughly 42 lbs with pedals and tubeless when new. It's now close to 41lbs. The H10 specked with a Fox 36 wont be lighter than 44 lbs ready to ride, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Okay, then the extender battery probably is the reason for sticking with the 60Nm motor.

Probably not - the carbon and alloy bikes use different range extenders.

from pinkbike

Unfortunately, the carbon and alloy bikes have different battery mounts, so you can't fit the larger battery to a carbon Rise or the lighter one to the alloy bike. Also, the Rise Carbon and Rise Alloy have two different range extenders. They are both 252 Wh and cost the same, but they use different cables and battery communications so the range extenders are not cross-compatible.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
So Orbea is doing a global event lunchnig this model. Has I uderstood today they are dropping bikes at stores sparsely (one here one there) .
I´ve talked with 2 stores to the possibility of buying 2 or 3 bikes ( family and friend), and the best possibility depending on size is one this month, other in 2/3 months and the last one in about 4 months. Commom Orbea . If you don´t have beans don´t invite people for a dinner party.

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
Did you check availability on the H15? Around here the H30 is available, and a few H10. The H15 is expected february. And I assume one could factor in some dealy...

Yeah, mid Feb for the H15 and most colors of the H10. A lot of H30s and the black H10 are available next week. This is Bay Area, CA. If I get it by March I will be stoked.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK

from pinkbike

Unfortunately, the carbon and alloy bikes have different battery mounts, so you can't fit the larger battery to a carbon Rise or the lighter one to the alloy bike. Also, the Rise Carbon and Rise Alloy have two different range extenders. They are both 252 Wh and cost the same, but they use different cables and battery communications so the range extenders are not cross-compatible.
Oh man, that was a bit of a disappointment. Would have been another fantastic thing to put in the myo program. choose battery size, and also aftermarket battery upgrades for rise carbon. Missed opportunity.

Reactions: Roc

Kyle_AZ_eMTB

Feb 5, 2021
Arizona
H15 SPECS . Maybe the sweet spot for the hydro over the H30. Seems like they added a display like arr4ws said 👍
What do you think?
  • Frame
    Orbea Rise Hydro 2022 / 140mm Travel / 29" Boost 12x148
  • Fork
    Fox 36 Float Performance / 150mm Travel / Grip 3-Position / QR15x110
  • Rear Shock
    Fox FLOAT X Performance / 2-Position / Evol LV Custom Tune / 210x55mm
  • Drive Unit
    Shimano EP8-RS
  • Battery
    Orbea RS Internal 540Wh
  • Controller
    Shimano E7000 switch unit for assist
  • Display
    Shimano SC-E7000
  • Rear Derailleur
    Shimano XT M8100-SGS Shadow Plus / 12 Speed
  • Shifters
    Shimano SLX M7100 I-Spec EV
  • Crankset
    E*thirteen E*spec / Direct Mount 32T / Boost
  • Chain
    Shimano M6100
  • Cassette
    Shimano CS-M7100 / 10-51t / 12-Speed
  • Brakes
    Shimano M6100 Hydraulic Disc / 180mm Rotors
  • Handlebar
    Race Face Aeffect 35 / 20mm Rise / 780mm
  • Stem
    Race Face Aeffect R / 35mm interface
  • Seatpost
    OC MC20 Mountain Control Dropper / 31.6mm
  • Seat
    Fizik Taiga / S-Alloy Rail
  • Headset
    Acros Alloy 1-1/8 - 1-1/2" Integrated
  • Wheelset
    Race Face AR 30c / Tubeless Ready
  • Front Tyre
    Maxxis Dissector / 29x2.4" / 60 TPI / 3C Maxx Terra / Exo / TLR
  • Rear Tyre
    Maxxis Rekon / 2.40" / 120 TPI / 3CMaxxTerra / Exo+ / TLR

Looking at all the media pictures I don't see a display on the bars. Could be a media error to include it as standard equipment. I have an email in to Orbea to find out if it comes with it. I bought online that was in stock. Should take delivery of it next week.

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
Anybody of you guys 6 foot tall with a L rise? I'm trying to find out if other people have replaced the dropper post (which I believe is 150mm for the large) with a 170mm or a 200mm one (PNW LOAM, or ONEUP V2).

The max insertion for the dropper post per the manual looks like it's 300mm so the PNW LOAM (200mm), and ONEUP V2 (210mm) won't have any problems inserting all the way in (for maximum clearance with the seat dropped).

The PNW LOAM can be shimmed down 25mm (so 175mm max extension), and the ONEUP can be shimmed down 20mm (190mm).

Trail Blazer

Jun 13, 2021
Sweden
One Might hope for that they use the same charger and port for both carbon and alu.
I’m planning to buy the h15 for my wife and don’t want to have several set ups due to “port” issues.

If I where Orbea I would look into how to create a long-standing eco system. Guess it want be long until a common standard for charging like EVs.

HarryJune

Jun 18, 2021
Berkshire
Looking at all the media pictures I don't see a display on the bars. Could be a media error to include it as standard equipment. I have an email in to Orbea to find out if it comes with it. I bought online that was in stock. Should take delivery of it next week.
Have you heard back from Orbea yet?

Roc

Oct 13, 2021
Belgium
Oh man, that was a bit of a disappointment. Would have been another fantastic thing to put in the myo program. choose battery size, and also aftermarket battery upgrades for rise carbon. Missed opportunity.
Very good idea ! you should work with Orbea ;)

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK

from pinkbike

This just seems insane. Specialized manage to have interchangeable batteries and chargers. If they've improved the design of the cable/port because of issues with the one on the carbon bike, then make it a retrofittable upgrade.

Tribanas

Jul 13, 2021
Portugal
Guys the the alu one has a bigger dimensions and weight battery. The downtube of the alu version is even thicker than the carbon one. It would be impossible to made it compatible

Last edited:

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Guys the the alu one has a bigger dimensions and weight battery. The downtube of the alu version is even thicker than the carbon one. It would be impossible to made it compatible
that doesn't explain why the range extender isn't compatible - what's going on there?

Trail Blazer

Jun 13, 2021
Sweden
Maybe they decided to ditch existing charging “contact” due to its a bit flimsy and breaks easily. It’s not as weather resistant as ie Specialized Turbo Lenovo Gen 3.

For me it’s a fundamental question/issue if I should continue with Orbea e bikes at all.

Not protecting an investment more than 12 months is more or less is giving a shit in their highend customers.

I would then choose the upcoming Levo SL as my light weight bikes for me and my family.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Maybe they decided to ditch existing charging “contact” due to its a bit flimsy and breaks easily. It’s not as weather resistant as ie Specialized Turbo Lenovo Gen 3.

For me it’s a fundamental question/issue if I should continue with Orbea e bikes at all.

Not protecting an investment more than 12 months is more or less is giving a shit in their highend customers.

I would then choose the upcoming Levo SL as my light weight bikes for me and my family.
But the port on the bike and the battery are both replaceable (you . Make it an aftermarket upgrade/option/warranty.

I rode Nicolai bikes for years and their policy was that, wherever possible, any improved parts would be retrofittable to the previous model

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles