Off Grid Portable Power

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
It's a very expensive battery.

Edit: if it is actually the rated capacity, it's actually decent value. You could pay £1k for a 100Ah and it's supposed to be 459Ah.

Last edited:

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
That particular one was well reviewed by a few 'experts' on YouTube, it was originally available via a crowd funding site for less than £1000. It's a beast though!

I've got a couple of Ecoflow R600's, not as powerful or as much capacity as that one though, they replaced a larger Ecoflow Delta 1300 which failed after a few months.

Keep an eye on Kickstarter or Indiegogo as there are quite often campaigns for similar items, if you don't mind the relative risk of crowd funding.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thanks. I was thinking that combined with a couple of solar panels on the roof of a van, it would be an alternative to having leisure battery/inverter setup permanently installed in a van. It can be mains charged, solar powered, and 12v car socket charged ( vehicle running), and transferred from a van to a tent....or another vehicle.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
That particular one was well reviewed by a few 'experts' on YouTube, it was originally available via a crowd funding site for less than £1000. It's a beast though!

I've got a couple of Ecoflow R600's, not as powerful or as much capacity as that one though, they replaced a larger Ecoflow Delta 1300 which failed after a few months.

Keep an eye on Kickstarter or Indiegogo as there are quite often campaigns for similar items, if you don't mind the relative risk of crowd funding.
yes I saw one where he tested it running continuously for a month running an air conditioning system .......not exactly the environment I was thinking of but he rated it highly.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I think this is the latest one...maybe those issues sorted??

Not sure, watch Hobotech's review of one of their pre-production models, I wasn't convinced they were giving themselves enough time to sort the issues before production.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
What do you guys who know a lot more about off grid power options think of this option below?? It looks to be an alternative to a permanent set up in the van. This model is pretty costly but I think there are smaller options in the range.

Poweroak AC200P 2000Wh/2000W – Maxoak-UK

Looks good! That capacity and charge ability in a small box like that is excellent. I've built my own on more than one occasion and not had much change out of that amount.

1. The inverter needs to be pure sine wave, not modified sine wave.
2. The battery they use needs to be able to output fast enough to actually run the inverter at full power, although 2000W is waaaay more than you need.
3. Check the battery inputs as well. Charge times matter and there may ne a limit on how much solar you can adapt.

It's great to see options like this become available.

Gordon

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I also backed this one, expecting it around May or June, seems about the right size in terms of output and capacity, comes with 80 watt solar panel for just under £600.

Unfortunately their Indiegogo campaign has ended now, although they plan on making a larger one later this year.

The build quality looks really good, also waterproof and drop proof...

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
For the RV - a couple of golf-cart batteries - 220ah, 110 usable, and a 'suitcase' solar panel. Just fantastic. And cheap. Total about a quarter of your 'pack'.

RVSolar.jpg

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
What do you guys who know a lot more about off grid power options think of this option below?? It looks to be an alternative to a permanent set up in the van. This model is pretty costly but I think there are smaller options in the range.

Poweroak AC200P 2000Wh/2000W – Maxoak-UK

cant quite understand why they are using it in a house to power a toaster ?

The lady in the photo could just plug the toaster into the wall socket and save herself £1800

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think the pics are jut showing the range of devices it can power.

I am not interested purely in bike charging.....more as a power source for a weekend or more off grid.....heating, cooking, lighting, as well as misc battery charging.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I think the pics are jut showing the range of devices it can power.

I am not interested purely in bike charging.....more as a power source for a weekend or more off grid.....heating, cooking, lighting, as well as misc battery charging.

It looks good I have to say. It cuts off at 10% charge remaining to protect the batteries.
Weight is 24kg
I’m assuming it’s lithium ion and not lead acid?
Worth checking how many charge cycles it can do before degradation. If it’s lead acid it can be quite low. I’ve just looked in Halfords and some of their leisure batteries can only be charged / discharged 80 times.

update.... it says charge cycles 2500+
Very impressive if it’s true

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It looks good I have to say. It cuts off at 10% charge remaining to protect the batteries.
Weight is 24kg
I’m assuming it’s lithium ion and not lead acid?
Worth checking how many charge cycles it can do before degradation. If it’s lead acid it can be quite low. I’ve just looked in Halfords and some of their leisure batteries can only be charged / discharged 80 times.

update.... it says charge cycles 2500+
Very impressive if it’s true
It is a LG Lithium battery cell ( LG also supply Tesla)

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
It uses a LiFePo battery (Lithium iron) rather than the usual Lithium ion, apparently it's a lot safer as well as having a much higher number of charge cycles.

My current Ecoflow one is standard lithium ion and only has around 500 charge cycles, similar to most e-bike batteries I think...

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Stop being so lazy and stick one of these in the van. If you're short on space you can have it on rail slide outs ! :)

I’m far too lazy for that. I’d get a hamster to do it for me....

Tazzmacd

Mar 30, 2019
NS, Canada
I am not sure if you are in NA or Europe, but I just picked up the Jackery 1000W power bank. For my Levo 700Wh battery from 40% the bank pulled 50% of the power from the Jackery to fully charge my battery. The Jackery fully recharged on solar the next morning. So I figured that I could get a full charge on my battery for the Levo battery per full charge on my Jackery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles