2000wh portable ebike battery charger

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
What a great unit !

I have a similar device - it will only deliver 1500 watts, but it has some other nice featues.
It's called a HondaE :)

honda_e.png

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
interesting, I like the unit but its expensive.
for example I'm trying to decide now what leisure battery system to go with in my van. for the similar money I can install a 3600w version with solar panel
for a little more I can install a 5kw version.
both versions are lithium
this only includes an inverter output and some USB, no wireless charging etc..
AND its not portable so you couldnt move it between vehicles.

if they offered a stripped down version without all the extras, just usb and an inverter with a little more power and I might be interested.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I really like the fact that whilst it can be primarily vehicle based it can be used anywhere - hell you can hook up the George Forman to it as well!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
interesting, I like the unit but its expensive.
for example I'm trying to decide now what leisure battery system to go with in my van. for the similar money I can install a 3600w version with solar panel
for a little more I can install a 5kw version.
both versions are lithium
this only includes an inverter output and some USB, no wireless charging etc..
AND its not portable so you couldnt move it between vehicles.

if they offered a stripped down version without all the extras, just usb and an inverter with a little more power and I might be interested.
Agreed. It is a lot of cash.

Aimed at someone who wants a no hassle portable option I guess. I've been meaning to get my van done for about 18 month but never got round to actually doing it!

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Agreed. It is a lot of cash.

Aimed at someone who wants a no hassle portable option I guess. I've been meaning to get my van done for about 18 month but never got round to actually doing it!
well, if you're interested this is my current shopping list. that all fits under the passenger seats of my transit custom.

DC-DC charger - works for smart alternator:

battery options:
3.6kw setup - 2 x 12V 150AH POWEROAD BASE LITHIUM LIFEPO4 BATTERY - Alpha Batteries
4.8kw setup - 2 x 12V 200AH POWEROAD BASE LITHIUM LIFEPO4 BATTERY - Alpha Batteries

they claim more wh values on these batteries but im not sure why TBH

plus the inverter and DC distribution of your choice.

its very rare that I would need power away from the van and there are always extension leads..

plus because i use the van for work and often work in remote places without electricity, I can charge my tools and run extensions if needed etc..

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
So roughly £1k for 1920Wh with lithium battery and the DC to DC charger.

Which inverter? When I was looking they were quite a bit of cash.

Right now the 2KW Poweroak / Bluetti is £1699, once added up might not be far off that cost?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
So roughly £1k for 1920Wh with lithium battery and the DC to DC charger.

Which inverter? When I was looking they were quite a bit of cash.

Right now the 2KW Poweroak / Bluetti is £1699, once added up might not be far off that cost?
this is what I was looking to get:

its really only properly economical if you double up on the batteries and double your charging capacity, this is what I plan to do so I can charge 2 x 700wh batteries twice without having to charge the leisure batteries. if you were looking to only have one battery then yes, the powerbank is a better buy considering the flexibility.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I'm using Ecoflow 720Wh power station with battery extender. Which gives me 1440 Wh.
Charging it with solar panel or car tobacco lighter plug. At home or camping place with normal electricity.

I can charge my Kenovo SL at least 3 times, plus phone and compressor refrigerator when needed

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
EDIT: Missed [mention]aarfeldt [/mention]’s reply above where he already touched upon this. Also, I realize it’s kinda off-topic.
_______

If the car doing the transporting is as far forward as the tech of the emtb itself (ideally a Cybertruck… but say a Skoda Enyaq) and already brings a monumental battery anyway, with power output (in the bed in the case of the CT), is this kind of device obsolete? Especially in the case of the solar option of the CT I would think so. Call me Captain Obvious.

But I transport my emtb on a rack on an EV, and assuming we’re all moving to EVs (or hydrogen etc.) as soon as possible, surely people will skip the step of these boxes ? And I assume there’s much less to the charging solution (as long as the car has “Vehicle2Load”) ? ([mention]dobbyhasfriends [/mention] mentioned pure sine as a requirement too)

Last edited:

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I think EV take up is far more advanced in Norway than most other countries.

Can't see it being an affordable option for me for years unfortunately.

So no, I think these devices definitely have a use for a while yet...

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Well, related, electricity is just in the news here because it has tripled in price…. I started turning off lights in unhabited rooms for the first time.

Point is, government policy and infrastructure has to match, and one must realise the “green shift” will not shift in isolation and have a plan for the consecutive life changing “unpleasantries” coming along.

EV subsidies has been great here, but is also just the easy show-off part. (Also at a tiny fraction of cost vs the profit from «our» oil).

End of rant and thread hijacking. Back to the topic which I am one step closer to seeing the significance and usefulness of

What’s the weight and specs of the smallest and lightest portable charger battery like mentioned in this thread? I’m thinking of a capacity of a little over one full charge of a big emtb battery and necessarily at a price of less than an extra battery.

Last edited:

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
The trouble with the portable units is if they go wrong you're fkt.
If you DIY it, and it's simple enough. From then on you can add to it as your requirements change.
For a small van I'd go with 100ah lithium which is around the equivalent to 2x 100ah agm batteries, a lot lighter but probably 3x price @ £1000ish
Victron inverter , probably 500-800 although I have a 1200. £300 ish
There's the 240v side sorted.
12 v fuse board for usb etc. £50
Then you need to decide how you want to charge the battery.
I'd go dc-dc charger with mppt solar input, then your battery is charged both ways. £300
If you don't want to fix solar to the van just use Anderson plugs to give a quick connection to a portable panel. Probably £100
Budget for fuses, cables & breakers £100.
But again, this isn't portable....

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
I was thinking if I could use it to power my house for the day as electricity has gotten so expensive.
Charge it overnight on the economy 7 tariff then use no electricity during the day when it's more expensive.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I used to have a generator (before the pikeys had it away) and when the electricity went off I could run the house from it by plugging into the mains

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Slightly off track but use your EBike battery to power everything in your van such as lighting and charging of your phones and computers, works a treat and no need for all the leisure battery set up. If you go LED lighting and use your vehicles charging when moving about to cool the fridge box topped up with a connection to the EBike battery set up ( mine only uses 20 W/h’s per hour once down to temp ), you will be surprised how little W/hs you use.

Downside is the bike has to be left home, but sometimes it’s nice to do all the other social things such as talk + walk + have fun with your partner, you will be surprised with the benefits offered in return ?

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I like the idea of these but what put me off was the fairly low Wh ratings for charging ebikes if you are going to be away for more than a weekend and had multiple bikes/batteries. I thought you were a bit limited with where you could keep the solar panel safely too.

I've gone down the leisure battery route with solar panel on the van roof and dc:dc charger.
300Ah LiFePO4, 330w solar panel, 30A dc:dc in a VW crafter

IMG_20210725_172621619.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Slightly off track but use your EBike battery to power everything in your van such as lighting and charging of your phones and computers, works a treat and no need for all the leisure battery set up. If you go LED lighting and use your vehicles charging when moving about to cool the fridge box topped up with a connection to the EBike battery set up ( mine only uses 20 W/h’s per hour once down to temp ), you will be surprised how little W/hs you use.

Downside is the bike has to be left home, but sometimes it’s nice to do all the other social things such as talk + walk + have fun with your partner, you will be surprised with the benefits offered in return ?
I might be missing something ?

So instead of paying £2000 for Rob's 2kwh power box , I should instead buy a £6k 625wh bike and leave it at home to use as a battery - which then frees me up time wise to do none e-bike things, like none "e" walking, because my EMTB is now dedicated to other things ?

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
But Zimmer sometimes the benefits of leaving your EBike home can outway the need to constantly ride your bike. I quite like " riding the partner " as an alternative + I can earn brownie points for going away with the lads riding my Ebike + I can ride my bike at home anytime I want. Just sometimes you have to stop cuddling up to your £ 6K toy and enjoy other pursuits otherwise what is the saying about being a " dull boy " ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
But Zimmer sometimes the benefits of leaving your EBike home can outway the need to constantly ride your bike. I quite like " riding the partner " as an alternative + I can earn brownie points for going away with the lads riding my Ebike + I can ride my bike at home anytime I want. Just sometimes you have to stop cuddling up to your £ 6K toy and enjoy other pursuits otherwise what is the saying about being a " dull boy " ?
But I'm presently single .. So I have to leave my ebike at home and go and ride my other ebike just to try and keep them interested in me. If I leave them both at home together and go and do something else, they'll work out that I'm always looking at other e-bikes, then all hell will break loose and neither of them will let me ride them.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I like the idea of these but what put me off was the fairly low Wh ratings for charging ebikes if you are going to be away for more than a weekend and had multiple bikes/batteries. I thought you were a bit limited with where you could keep the solar panel safely too.

I've gone down the leisure battery route with solar panel on the van roof and dc:dc charger.

View attachment 72196
Where did you get the battery fella

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
But I'm presently single .. So I have to leave my ebike at home and go and ride my other ebike just to try and keep them interested in me. If I leave them both at home together and go and do something else, they'll work out that I'm always looking at other e-bikes, then all hell will break loose and neither of them will let me ride them.
Time to give up EBikes Zimmer, stick with them and they will only lead you down the garden path to the dark side ?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales

View attachment 72196
nice setup, thats where im headed..
my only hurdle is how to mount the solar onto the rooftop tent :D

philuk

Jun 22, 2021
North Yorkshire UK
i commented on the facebook post about this, I dont get it really.

If your stopping back at the car for some lunch your going to get an hours charge maybe, how much will that add to a battery? Wouldnt you be better off with a second battery for the bike?

If your charging while driving between places you would be better off with an inverter?

If its for camping overnight then you can get hookup leads to give you 240v sockets.

If its for XC then noone is going to cart this around with them.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
If your stopping back at the car for some lunch your going to get an hours charge maybe, how much will that add to a battery?
more than if you had 0 hours charge and in my batteries case, around 20%

If your charging while driving between places you would be better off with an inverter?
from the lighter outlet? 'possibly' with a low amps charger but you've no chance of charging two batteries at once as most lighter outlets will give around 150 watts

If its for camping overnight then you can get hookup leads to give you 240v sockets.
not always available, I have a trip planned in north wales and none of the sites have hookup

If its for XC then noone is going to cart this around with them.
WTF ?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
If your stopping back at the car for some lunch your going to get an hours charge maybe, how much will that add to a battery? Wouldnt you be better off with a second battery for the bike?
My 6a charger will give 250wh in 60 mins, so almost 40% charge. And yes, we have done this already and it does make a difference.

Can also easily charge 2 ebikes at once. I’ve used it camping to charge phones, do some work on my laptop whilst charging, took it to the alps for 6 days and up 2 flights of stairs (the room only had one plug!) and charged everything off it.

It’s definitely not a product for everyone but I’ve been using it a hell of a lot.

I can drive to a bike location, camp in the van ride all day and charge overnight. Loads of options.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles