Newbie looking for an EMTB Full/Susp

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
Hi everyone,

Just recently got back on the MTB's. Used to ride a lot when I was younger and then started riding motorbikes and forgot how fun MTBing is.

Just recently purchased a Trek Ex8 but wow do I not enjoy riding back up to the top of a run. Coming down is fantastic and made me realise I love this sport a lot so I've decided to fork out the money for an E-MTB.

Just posted a thread in General Discussion.

Look forward to speaking with you all.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
If you love your Fuel ex, the Rail is all of that and even more fun. It will be heavier and more planted on the downhill than the Fuel, but still pretty agile.
I have a fuel ex 7, (only upgraded to xt breaks)
Got my Rail 9.8 a few days ago and it's a blast.
Highly recommended

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
If you love your Fuel ex, the Rail is all of that and even more fun. It will be heavier and more planted on the downhill than the Fuel, but still pretty agile.
I have a fuel ex 7, (only upgraded to xt breaks)
Got my Rail 9.8 a few days ago and it's a blast.
Highly recommended

Yeah I just looked at those dude. Massively out of my price range unfortunately but very nice bikes.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
Yeah I just looked at those dude. Massively out of my price range unfortunately but very nice bikes.
I agree, the prices are insane. I was very lucky to get a very good deal on mine. Otherwise I would never bought one. Sommet gets great reviews as well, but then you have to buy online

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
Just looked at the Merida and Focus bikes, again really nice but to expensive. I'm looking to spend about £2500-£3000. Even considering less than that and getting a decent used one but we will see. I've been completely put off by the clanking noise coming from some of the motors on the Voodoo and Decathlon bikes. I think they're great bikes and perfect for me but the clunking from the Bosch and Shimano motors isn't sound to promising so I'm hoping they'll recall or release some sort of fix for buyers.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Not sure there will be any recall from Bosch on the clunk (although it would be nice!), they seem to just say its to be expected with the new smaller, lighter motor. Saying that though, for the price, I'd have the slight clunk when going from freewheeling to engaging the motor rather then spending over a £1,000 more for a better bike.

I do get though that its a personal preference and for some the clunk may be annoying.

It's a great motor in my 300 miles of experience so far, it just has a slightly annoying clunk from time to time which I'm starting to get used to already...

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
Not sure there will be any recall from Bosch on the clunk (although it would be nice!), they seem to just say its to be expected with the new smaller, lighter motor. Saying that though, for the price, I'd have the slight clunk when going from freewheeling to engaging the motor rather then spending over a £1,000 more for a better bike.

I do get though that its a personal preference and for some the clunk may be annoying.

It's a great motor in my 300 miles of experience so far, it just has a slightly annoying clunk from time to time which I'm starting to get used to already...

Is it not worrying you at all though? I didn't read it thoroughly but I think someone actually took the motor apart and shared the outcome on your thread. Do you remember exactly what part was causing the clunk and whether that could be potentially damaged by the clunking or cause something else to fail/break?

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
To be fair I am a little worried in that for the first 50 miles there was no clunk and then it develops so that doesn’t sound good I agree.

They did take it apart but I’m not that clever when it comes to what’s inside a motor so not sure of the real impact.

Bosch have been good from what I can read at swapping out motors that break though.

I got the decathlon Stilus which has a 1 Year return for your money back policy and a 2 year warranty.

Lots of bikes have the gen 4 Bosch motor and more are coming out using that motor so my hope/belief is Bosch will stand by their motor if it breaks because of this clunk issue.

Just my 2 cents though...

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
To be fair I am a little worried in that for the first 50 miles there was no clunk and then it develops so that doesn’t sound good I agree.

They did take it apart but I’m not that clever when it comes to what’s inside a motor so not sure of the real impact.

Bosch have been good from what I can read at swapping out motors that break though.

I got the decathlon Stilus which has a 1 Year return for your money back policy and a 2 year warranty.

Lots of bikes have the gen 4 Bosch motor and more are coming out using that motor so my hope/belief is Bosch will stand by their motor if it breaks because of this clunk issue.

Just my 2 cents though...

Yeah I mean I find it very odd that a company as large as Bosch are releasing a motor in this day and age where developing such an item isn't exactly rocket science for them and after testing its still having this issue.

Sorry, I know I'm probably going on a bit to hard I just so want an EMTB, I can't afford anything more than the Voodoo Zobop or the Decathlon Stilus so they're my only options really and the Decathlon has a better spec. I mean, I can't even get it due to stock issues at the moment so hopefully something is sorted before then as a ton of people are talking about it, I'm sure they're aware.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I didn't notice the clunk noise in the beginning and I realize it was because I was too exited riding the bike. ?. I do notice now and again, but in general I'm to focused on the descent and the speed is high and I don't really notice it. It certainly doesn't bother me much. I would prefer it it be silent of course, but if that sound is the price to pay for a very smooth transition to non assist and no drag at all, it's a price worth paying at the moment.

Not worried about breaking it though and I have already got 2 dents in my rear wheel, bent the left break handle (after going over the bars) and somehow even bent my seat. I had the bike for a week....

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
Not worried about breaking it though and I have already got 2 dents in my rear wheel, bent the left break handle (after going over the bars) and somehow even bent my seat. I had the bike for a week....
[/QUOTE]

? that's brilliant, sounds like you've been riding it hard

wkearney99

May 8, 2020
Bethesda, MD USA
I'm a big, tall guy and found the drivetrains are very different. I actively disliked the Bosch used on R&M bikes. I tried both chain and belt and the Rohloff gears. It just felt unnatural to someone that's ridden nothing but derailleur-equipped bikes, for decades. I liked the Yamaha setup on the Haibikes (but again, not the Bosch), and the Brose on Specialized. I did not have a chance to try anything with a Shimano (nothing local in-stock).

I bought a Levo Comp with the Brose motor and am pleased with it thus far. Time will tell, of course.

My advice is get some test rides and focus on the assist and how it feels to you. What one person likes, others might despise. Go with what feels best for your riding styles.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway

? that's brilliant, sounds like you've been riding it hard
[/QUOTE]
Yepp ?

Intermtb

Jan 5, 2020
USA
Voodoo Zobop is just like dechlaton stilus with external battery and shimano motor. I have the US version which is motobecane Hal-e with Shimano E7000 motor. no problem so far, been almost 1500 miles since mid January. Size up if you're in between size. frame is on the small side. I ride medium on all bike I ever have, I could've gone large with this, but I keep it, and used to it now.
Like you, my budget was under $3000, I bought it $2600, and I already have nice components on my old bikes, just swapped over to ebike.
go buy it before it's out of stock.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles