New rider looking for advice.

Brendon

May 23, 2020
Canberra, Australia
Hi Guys

This is my first post here. I thought it would be more appropriate to post here rather than create a new thread as this one seems to be quite active.

I am hoping to enter into the world of mountain biking and wanting to purchase my first EMTB. I'm looking for some advice on which bike to get. I don't have much riding experience, other than some basic downhill trails when I was in my early teens. I am from Canberra, Australia -- we have so many great trails around here that I have always wanted to check out.

So far I have been looking into the following bikes:
  • Cube Hybrid Stereo 140 29" (~$6000)
  • Cube Hybrid Stereo 160 27.5" (~$6300)
  • Focus Jam² 6.7 NINE (~$6000)
  • Trek Powerfly LT 9.7 G2 (~$6000)
I think I am leaning towards the Cube 160 -- but I really don't know what I should be looking for... and quite overwhelmed with all the different bikes out there. One main issue I am having problems with is whether I should go for a 27.5" or a 29" for my first bike. What do you guys think? I am around 183cm and 80kg.

My budget is around $4000-$6500 AUD. It might seem a little steep for my first bike, but I would rather spend more money now on a decent bike than to purchase one and find out I want to upgrade in a year or so.

Look forward to posting more once I get a bike!

Last edited:

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Hi Brendon.

I know nothing about bikes but have learned that most of not all of the big names get it right. I’d go for the Cube 160, it’s what I’d have got if I could have found one.

But ultimately any of those bikes are likely better than you, and will see you right for years as you progress. These things are immense and seems to deal with anything.

Enjoy the trails.

Brendon

May 23, 2020
Canberra, Australia
140 will be 29 and 160 27.5
Good pickup!

Hi Brendon.

I know nothing about bikes but have learned that most of not all of the big names get it right. I’d go for the Cube 160, it’s what I’d have got if I could have found one.

But ultimately any of those bikes are likely better than you, and will see you right for years as you progress. These things are immense and seems to deal with anything.

Enjoy the trails.
Thanks Fingerpuk. What made you go for the 160 over the 140? I might be hard-pressed to find stock for 160 here in Aus.... 140 seems plentiful although I would have to drive up to Sydney to test ride one (about ~3.5hrs away).

JJLevo19

Apr 29, 2020
Melbourne
Hello.

I’m new here, and new (sorta) to riding. Come from motorbikes. I’m looking to pick up riding to help me lose weight (I’m about 10 kilos heavier than I should be) and give my brain time to relax.

I’m thinking an eMTB because:

- I don’t want to ride on the road,
- my knee is damaged from an old accident,
- I like adrenaline,
- I am never going to join a gym.

I’ve ruled out a full suspension bike. Mainly for cost and maintenance reasons. I also want to feel the floor, that may prove you be a bad idea! We’ll see. My rides will be 30-40 miles max on a range of trail types.

I was thinking of the Levo HT but people complain about the brakes and forks. The £2k price is attractive.

I’m looking for advice on bikes. I’m 5’6”, with a budget of £2500, and will buy the moment a consensus has been reached :)

Thanks, looking forward to this new journey.

You are on the right path. Stretch yourself as much as you can as this will be the best investment for yourself and a levo 19 onwards would be the best with the latest brose motor good luck and get out there ASAP ⚡⚡✌️

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
I wanted the 160 because the deal at the time here had it with a better battery and suspension. But it went out of stock in hours.

I then was going to get the 140 with the 625watt batter and that sold out in the same amount of time.

So I bought the LaPierre and realised that all the bikes are great. And you can always upgrade bits as you learn and as you wreck them. And after 2-4 years you’ll trade the thing in.

It’s like having motorbikes but healthier.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Went for a short ride (forgot to charge the damn thing, so longer ride later/tomorrow. Somebody had scattered broken glass all over the trails. I cleared away what I could.

Then found somebody had blocked a trail with logs with barbed wire wrapped around them. I pushed that out of the way and will head back later to get photos to share with the land owner.

Is this common?

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Went for a short ride (forgot to charge the damn thing, so longer ride later/tomorrow. Somebody had scattered broken glass all over the trails. I cleared away what I could.

Then found somebody had blocked a trail with logs with barbed wire wrapped around them. I pushed that out of the way and will head back later to get photos to share with the land owner.

Is this common?

Seems like a great way to damage children and pets. I'd be having a chat with the local plod.

The idiots who do this sort of thing are incapable of rational thought or argument, so don't even try. Leave it in the hands of those who have to deal with lunatics for a living.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
I called 101 and reported it. We’ll see what happens.

Compared to motorbikes these MTBs are super cheap. Annual service on one of my bikes would be more than the cost of the Overvolt. £800 for a helmet, £380 gloves, £230 per tyre, £700 for a master cylinder. So far this eMTB has been the bargain of the decade, bang for buck it’s immense.

Wish I’d done it gears ago. Hankering after an analogue hardtail now. Addictive ain’t it!

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Oh my! I meant to say years but...

Epic 24 miles this morning. Deer, owls, jumps, downhill, cross country, sun through the trees, all before 9am. Amazing.

Trading in my car for a truck or estate version of the same car. Will soon need to take bikes to places.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Or...

B4392B5F-8791-45D6-9427-C0D95B901A91.jpeg

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Tubeless is working well, cushcore in the rear tyre. Got some air, roads a nice of trails, got lost, got pulled by the Police as a bike had been nicked and they wanted a word.

Defiantly feeling fitter and more capable. Love it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles