New rider looking for advice.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
New bike looks great, really nice.

I’m also new to the forum, my first EMTB arrives Saturday, a new Stilus. Can’t wait!
I’m also in Kent Fingerpuk in response to your earlier post.

Thanks all for your posts, they really helped me decide on moving from Acoustic to EMTB and looking at the Stilus. I know a few people have posted questions/comments on the new Stilus, so happy to answer any questions once mine arrives Saturday (including the nightmare website challenges of actually being able to order one at the moment!)

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
So my first real ride is complete.

Wow!

I only did about 8 miles because I kept having to get off to go through gates and the flies. The flies! So many, I won’t need to eat dinner. Plus it’s hot as hell and I have to be a dad tonight.

The bike is amazing. It’s developed a noise on the rear wheel as it rotates, need to keep an eye (ear) on that. The motor is immense. The grip is crazy. So much fun. Riding through tractor trails in crops on steep downhill slopes is hilarious fun. It’s more fun doing 20 on this that 160 on the motorbike.

Of the miles I did do most were off road and about 6 are uphill (from very steep to gentle). The downhill parts were all fairly steep and wow do you pick up speed. Indicated 24.7 mph when I was brave enough to look. Bit stupid on my first ride. I did come across a bloody great drop the farmer had kindly cut into a public footpath so had to learn (guess) how to tackle that. The bike saved me all I did was avoid the brakes and let it do it’s thing. Tried to land on both wheels.

I need advice to what to buy to stop flies going into my eyes. Can you get visors that attach to helmets to avoid wearing glasses?

I also need a backpack, my hipster Chrome
Bag is great but doesn’t give much airflow. And also doesn’t like the steeper downhill sections.

The gears are still clickety rackety so I’ll look into adjusting them.

34220358-7707-417B-879F-1B53F95F0489.jpeg

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
I use a Kelty Riot 15 day pack. It's not too big, has great padding on the rear to aid with airflow and has a compartment and routing for a hydration bladder (Osprey 20L fits great). You can get them on Amazon from around £30 and up.

And use glasses or googles.

IMG20200509170551.jpg

IMG20200509170529.jpg

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Went out this morning. Only about 14 miles but every inch was a challenge one way or another. Steep (STEEP) hills to climb, deep mud to tackle, rivers to cross, technical single track, and some burns and jumps. It was so much fun, came back and my girlfriend kept saying how smiley I was.

Bike got filthy so hosed it down gently and towel dried it. I’ll spray it with silicone spray later, I assume that’s ok?

Things I’ve learned, I need my shoes to arrive trainers just don’t grip. At least these old knackered trainers don’t. Next purchase 100% is a bloody great arse pad. My backside hurts!

Also, getting air when you weren’t expecting it is scarier than anything I did on a motorbike. I need to work on jumps, wheelies, and manuals.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Went out this morning. Only about 14 miles but every inch was a challenge one way or another. Steep (STEEP) hills to climb, deep mud to tackle, rivers to cross, technical single track, and some burns and jumps. It was so much fun, came back and my girlfriend kept saying how smiley I was.

Bike got filthy so hosed it down gently and towel dried it. I’ll spray it with silicone spray later, I assume that’s ok?

Things I’ve learned, I need my shoes to arrive trainers just don’t grip. At least these old knackered trainers don’t. Next purchase 100% is a bloody great arse pad. My backside hurts!

Have you got decent pedals with pins? If not, even with good shoes you'll still battle with stock pedals. Quite honestly, there is no point in spending a fortune on high quality pedals, there are plenty of bargain to be found following this thread:

Pedals? - EMTB Forums

Bike riding is a pain in the arse. I recommend either gel shorts or gel liners, and a good chamois cream.

Also, getting air when you weren’t expecting it is scarier than anything I did on a motorbike. I need to work on jumps, wheelies, and manuals.

The worst thing though is the face pain from the non stop smiling. It really hurts after a while. Plus, the other half starts to wonder about your new love affair... :eek:

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Took yesterday off from riding (sore arse) and didn’t charge. Today managed to go through two bars in 4 miles, so I’m guessing it takes some cycles for the management system to calibrate. Or the chart lies.

Today’s ride was more chilled, just a 30 minute jaunt to get some air in me. Managed to top 29mph so getting there. Confidence is growing.

I really need to find somewhere more local to learn jumping. I may see if I can build some small jumps on some abandoned land near me, it’s owned by people from the UAE but they’ve left the house and gardens to collapse so I don’t feel guilty about a couple of small bumps.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
You need to get yourself across to Mereworth woods Fingerpuk, it's a little difficult too find but there is a great trail with some decent jumps (even a couple of biggish ones) which will entertain you for sure.

When we eventually catchup for a ride I'm happy to ride over that way to show you, but for now think of it like a treasure hunt and your only clue is take the path/trail next to the Moody Mare pub and head west, after maybe a mile ish the trail with the jumps comes out onto that path ;)

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Already been there. :) It was too busy for a noob and I didn’t want to run over any kids. The second time was full of motorbikes. Great trails though.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Did another ride to, through, and back from Mereworth today. Forgot to get any pictures. Did my first kinda extreme bit of downhill, tackled the jumps and getting more confident in the burms. I’m still crap at getting air.

Getting more loose on the bike. Managed to ride through sections I stopped at last time. Felt the tyres losing and gaining traction and just the bike do it’s thing. It felt great. Also using the power of the motor to have more fun on rocky and rooty sections.

I need to get more confident with jumps, and also want to try learning to wheelie and manual purely to gain more confidence. But it may be that the analogue hardtail I’m looking to build will help there. Lighter and shorter.

Pay day is Tuesday so some more bits going to get ordered. Loving it though, new aspect to my life. Bikes been cleaned and lubed. I need arse protection, that’s the first thing to order next.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
One thing is my gears are still crunchy and slip. I’ve looked at the adjustment and the bottom and top align perfectly. Any ideas?

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Take the piece of junk back and sling it at them lol
I pulled my orange out the garage for the second time in over 3 years,still covered in dry mud,quick chain clean n lube and done 18.5 miles in pure smooth silence....

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
I can’t be arsed to ship it back. I’ll sort it, it’s an alignment issue I’m sure. Also I’ve noticed I only use three gears, need to explore the range :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's probably something simple.

Either a bent hanger.

Needs indexing.

Cable routing is causing the cable to have pressure applied and released as he suspension moves. (I had this, but once a horse picked the bike up with the gear cable it fixed it).

Also check that your chain is sitting on the correct teeth in the derailleur. They are narrow wide and sometimes will end up on the wrong ones.

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
It just shows how nice it is to buy local,pop in have a chat and get your bike looked at..so.ethi g that's probably so simple,I'm pretty sure you'll sort this.....laughy face thingy

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Sadly I don’t have a local seller of ebikes. But it’ll be fine, it’ll get sorted and not stop me riding.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Did my biggest ride today, went out with a guy who’s been riding for 20+ years. He’s raced XC and downhill. Him on his Kenevo.

What a leveller ebikes are! No way on analogous would I have kept up. We did 30 miles of all sorts of stuff. Technical downhill way beyond my level, fast downhill with 12-18” drops every 30 foot. That was scary but super fun. Stupid ugly climbs. I got air off of jumps properly for the first time, got more confident and comfortable. Drained the battery entirely, it turned off 2 minutes from home.

No pictures. I may get a GoPro to I can keep it in my pocket for simple photo taking ops.

I’m now a broken man. I need my chamois! My arse it very angry.

2wls4ever

Feb 29, 2020
Felton, California
Hello.

I’m new here, and new (sorta) to riding. Come from motorbikes. I’m looking to pick up riding to help me lose weight (I’m about 10 kilos heavier than I should be) and give my brain time to relax.

I’m thinking an eMTB because:

- I don’t want to ride on the road,
- my knee is damaged from an old accident,
- I like adrenaline,
- I am never going to join a gym.

I’ve ruled out a full suspension bike. Mainly for cost and maintenance reasons. I also want to feel the floor, that may prove you be a bad idea! We’ll see. My rides will be 30-40 miles max on a range of trail types.

I was thinking of the Levo HT but people complain about the brakes and forks. The £2k price is attractive.

I’m looking for advice on bikes. I’m 5’6”, with a budget of £2500, and will buy the moment a consensus has been reached :)

Thanks, looking forward to this new journey.
Go with your gut. Any ebike is better than no ebike.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Pedals ordered. Shoes never arrived so will order from elsewhere. New bag coming. Took a day off from riding but tonight will be my first go with a chamois!

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
New pedals on.

Did another ride with my new eChum. He’s helping me get more confident. Did about 20 miles through and around Mereworth and West Malling. Spent more time on jumps and downhill single track. I’m more confident to let the bike move around now. And more confident getting air. We spent a while on what a week ago would have been something I’d never ride up to something I now use as a jump. It’s tons of fun.

Started to notice my eating habits changing. All in the mind I’d guess but my body doesn’t care much for sugar and snacks now. Aside from wine.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles