New to e-Biking - looking for advice!

Sophie

Apr 16, 2020
East Sussex
Hello, I’m Sophie! I’m new to the e-Bike world and was hoping that I’d be able to get some advice/suggestions on a bike that I’ve seen and am thinking of buying.
I love downhill biking in the Alps but I’m not a fan of the uphills which is predominantly what’s close by to where I live in East Sussex. My boyfriend is bike obsessed and I’d like to be able to go riding with him, but on a bike that will mean I can keep up with him, not struggle too much on the uphills and generally just to have fun on.
I’ve seen the VITUS E-SOMMET VRS E-BIKE XT 1x12 2020 which looks like a good spec for me. The only thing I don’t know much about is the battery/motor so I was wondering if anyone has advice or comments about this, and about the bike in general?
Thanks in advance!
Sophie

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hi Sophie.
There's absolutely tons of info on the bike and motor inj the Vitus section of the forum.
The bike is a very well designed solid 160/170mm enduro style Emtb.
The bike is pretty long and a very capable descender but if spec'd with sensible tyres will be no slouch up and down the tamer terrain of sussex
There's no getting round the extra weight so to control the bike in a similar way to a standard enduro bike a little more rider input is required. Not buying an overly long size also helps massively if you're a playful sort of rider.

What height are you? and what bike do you ride in the alps? What part of the alps and what sort of trails do you like to ride? what sort of rider are you?

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I would suggest have a few bikes in mind then try a test ride from local bike shops because ALL ebikes will have issues more so then a regular bike , so the after sales support should be a factor imo !
I bought me 1st emtb last Oct and am having a blast even now ☺️

Sophie

Apr 16, 2020
East Sussex
Hi Sophie.
There's absolutely tons of info on the bike and motor inj the Vitus section of the forum.
The bike is a very well designed solid 160/170mm enduro style Emtb.
The bike is pretty long and a very capable descender but if spec'd with sensible tyres will be no slouch up and down the tamer terrain of sussex
There's no getting round the extra weight so to control the bike in a similar way to a standard enduro bike a little more rider input is required. Not buying an overly long size also helps massively if you're a playful sort of rider.

What height are you? and what bike do you ride in the alps? What part of the alps and what sort of trails do you like to ride? what sort of rider are you?

Hi, thank you for your reply!
I'm 5ft10 so looking at the Large frame. I currently have a Norco Sight Carbon frame which I love, but it's starting to hold me back on the runs I want to ride. I have spent a few summers in Morzine and Les Gets and my boyfriend is running a holiday to La Plagne this year, but doing trips to Tignes, Val D and Les Arcs as well - so varied riding of bike parks and single track. I am a comfortable red rider and like to have a go at some of the black runs and secret trails. I like to have a go at technical sections but I'm not a good jumper!
From the research that I've done, this bike looks like a good match for me, and considerably cheaper than others that I can see in a similar range.
Sophie

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Hi Sophie

If I where you I would look at the medium rather than the large.

There are two reasons for this, firstly on the E-Sommett due to the design of the seat tube you cannot fully insert the 150mm dropper post on it, meaning that when it is fully extended it may be too high for you at 5ft 10, though I am aware that ladies tend to have longer legs so may not be an issue! I am 6ft with a 33in inseam, and it fits me perfectly, but if I was smaller it wouldn't and I would need to run a smaller dropper.

Secondly, whilst the Vitus is one of the lighter bikes of its type, EMTB's are heavy bikes - this isn't necessarily a bad thing as the increased weight bring a lot of increased stability, and as such I think if you went with a medium you wold probably find it a lot more manoeuvrable and easy to handle, without sacrificing any stability (the geometry of the bikes and suspension design are spot on, and also give a very planted feel). If I was buying again I would consider sizing down. Basically I think you would find a medium much more fun and playful for progressing your riding on than a large, which in your instance might be too much of a monster truck.

@Gary is the sameish build as me, and he rides a small because he prefers the manouverabiltiy (all though he can correct me on his real reason but I think that's why)

If it wasn't for the Coronavirus I would happily let you have a go on my Large, as I am not far from East Sussex!

I am a big fan of the external battery on the E-Sommett as it means you can easily take the battery off for travelling with the bike/swapping to a spare, and also if you cant charge the bike where you store it means you can easily charge the battery indoors.

All motors have some reliability issues, but generally speaking the Shimano is very reliable if looked after, and problems can be dealt with by an accredited LBS.

Last edited:

Sophie

Apr 16, 2020
East Sussex
Hi Sophie

If I where you I would look at the medium rather than the large.

There are two reasons for this, firstly on the E-Sommett due to the design of the seat tube you cannot fully insert the 150mm dropper post on it, meaning that when it is fully extended it may be too high for you at 5ft 10, though I am aware that ladies tend to have longer legs so may not be an issue! I am 6ft with a 33in inseam, and it fits me perfectly, but if I was smaller it wouldn't and I would need to run a smaller dropper.

Secondly, whilst the Vitus is one of the lighter bikes of its type, EMTB's are heavy bikes - this isn't necessarily a bad thing as the increased weight bring a lot of increased stability, and as such I think if you went with a medium you wold probably find it a lot more manoeuvrable and easy to handle, without sacrificing any stability (the geometry of the bikes and suspension design are spot on, and also give a very planted feel). If I was buying again I would consider sizing down. Basically I think you would find a medium much more fun and playful for progressing your riding on than a large, which in your instance might be too much of a monster truck.

@Gary is the sameish build as me, and he rides a small because he prefers the manouverabiltiy (all though he can correct me on his real reason but I think that's why)

If it wasn't for the Coronavirus I would happily let you have a go on my Large, as I am not far from East Sussex!

I am a big fan of the external battery on the E-Sommett as it means you can easily take the battery off for travelling with the bike/swapping to a spare, and also if you cant charge the bike where you store it means you can easily charge the battery indoors.

All motors have some reliability issues, but generally speaking the Shimano is very reliable if looked after, and problems can be dealt with by an accredited LBS.

Thank you!
I've been trying to look carefully between the M and L frame - I have a 33 in seam which is at the upper end on the L frame specifications. My Norco is a medium and looking at the comparisons, I think a Medium Vitus is slightly smaller, which is why I'm swaying towards the L frame.
Thank you for the offer of trying the bike anyway, It's very kind!

You mentioned about the battery removal - I have been trying to find guidance on flying with e-bikes. It seems as though its not possible? Just wondering what your experiences have been. It's likely (if corona goes away) that i'll drive to the Alps in August, but I'm also looking at a possible trip to Southern Spain where I would be flying. I've seen posts about removing the battery and hiring one in resort?

The review you posted was very helpful and interesting!
Thanks, Sophie.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I agree with everything R120 has said above.

As he says. I ride a small. I've had 2 of them. a 2018 and my current 2019.
I also had a Medium ESentier hardtail and regretted not buying that in small.
I'm 5'11"
Sizing down rather than following modern long geometry fashion makes a lot of sense with Emtbs. The length combined with the weight makes for a cumbersome ride. fine if you just want to plow through and into stuff, not so much if you want to manual, pump and hop and change lines quickly. I'm an experienced expert level ex DH racer/rider. but old somewhat skool, fairly stylish and a good jumper. I ride Medium Enduro/DH bikes and still ride DJ hardtails so you can see where my pref comes from in sizing.
The other issue with going for a longer bike is, I'd imagine, being a girl (don't take this wrong) you'll be nowhere near as strong as me (a 200lb guy) on the bike. My GF is 5'9" and my small ESommet is a good fit for her (She rides a M Giant Trance).

I also have a 33" inside leg and run a 170mm dropper on mine with a very small about of room to drop it into the frame further. What's your inside leg measurement?
The bike rides absolutely fine with a 150mm dropper but I prefer the extra clearance of a 170mm dropper when manualling the bike

Do you ride flats or clips? a longer drop dropper gives more room to maneuver/squat to preload , manual and hop the bike. and this is waaay more important for flat pedals than clips.
The small ESommet only comes with a 120mm dropper. fine for a clipped in rider but not ideal for manualling. But you'd benefit from going longer drop if you're on flats

I've been through loads of Shimano motors between the 3 Shimano STEPs bikes I've owned, but don't let that put you off. I give them all a very hard time. They're warrantied for 2 years same as all motors. And no Emtb motor is properly durable IMO.

What size is your Norco Sight?
You say you're not a confident jumper but are you comfortable hopping it? (proper J-hops?) and can you manual/wheelie it? It'll become evident why I'm asking this once I know the answers.

Sophie

Apr 16, 2020
East Sussex
I agree with everything R120 has said above.

As he says. I ride a small. I've had 2 of them. a 2018 and my current 2019.
I also had a Medium ESentier hardtail and regretted not buying that in small.
I'm 5'11"
Sizing down rather than following modern long geometry fashion makes a lot of sense with Emtbs. The length combined with the weight makes for a cumbersome ride. fine if you just want to plow through and into stuff, not so much if you want to manual, pump and hop and change lines quickly. I'm an experienced expert level ex DH racer/rider. but old somewhat skool, fairly stylish and a good jumper. I ride Medium Enduro/DH bikes and still ride DJ hardtails so you can see where my pref comes from in sizing.
The other issue with going for a longer bike is, I'd imagine, being a girl (don't take this wrong) you'll be nowhere near as strong as me (a 200lb guy) on the bike. My GF is 5'9" and my small ESommet is a good fit for her (She rides a M Giant Trance).

I also have a 33" inside leg and run a 170mm dropper on mine with a very small about of room to drop it into the frame further. What's your inside leg measurement?
The bike rides absolutely fine with a 150mm dropper but I prefer the extra clearance of a 170mm dropper when manualling the bike

Do you ride flats or clips? a longer drop dropper gives more room to maneuver/squat to preload , manual and hop the bike. and this is waaay more important for flat pedals than clips.
The small ESommet only comes with a 120mm dropper. fine for a clipped in rider but not ideal for manualling. But you'd benefit from going longer drop if you're on flats

I've been through loads of Shimano motors between the 3 Shimano STEPs bikes I've owned, but don't let that put you off. I give them all a very hard time. They're warrantied for 2 years same as all motors. And no Emtb motor is properly durable IMO.

What size is your Norco Sight?
You say you're not a confident jumper but are you comfortable hopping it? (proper J-hops?) and can you manual/wheelie it? It'll become evident why I'm asking this once I know the answers.

Thanks for your response!
I have a 33 inside leg - which I believe is at the upper end on the L frame specifications. My Norco is a medium and looking at the comparisons, I think a Medium Vitus is slightly smaller, which is why I'm swaying towards the L frame?

I ride flats - definitely wouldn't be staying upright if my feet were clipped in! And I can't hop/pop/manual/wheelie... I prefer roots and drops to jumps and gaps.
I understand what is being said about going for a medium frame - I'm just concerned that getting a medium will be too small - I didn't buy my Norco new and it was something that I've just kind of put up with for the years that I've had it.

I really appreciate everyone's advice, so thank you!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have a 33 inside leg - which I believe is at the upper end on the L frame specifications.
I don't know what you mean by this comment.
size your bikes by reach. Not seat tube length.
your M Norco's reach is right around the same length as the ESommet in M
I'd definitely be going smaller.
You must be able to manual a bit if you're attempting proper drops?
Popping/holding the front up on LONG emtbs is far more of a chore than on a nice light Enduro bike.

I'm a bit busy to reply fully just now. will return and add to my thoughts later.

hope CRC still have stock of M or S for you by then ;)

Sophie

Apr 16, 2020
East Sussex
Thank you everyone for your comments!
My boyfriend has a Giant Reign and, after looking at comparisons, they are similar dimensions to the Medium E-Sommet - I've just had a peddle around on it and will be taking your advice and going for a medium.
Looking forward to being able to let you know how I get on with it!
Thanks again :)
Sophie

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Non E bike Reign?
If so...
And if you liked the reign, Fit wise the Medium ESommet will suit you.
What you're not taking into consideration (and few noobs to emtb do) is that the ESommet is still a longer bike. (Wheelbase/chainstays) The extra weight low down and longer chainstays make it way more stable than the reign.
The ESommet has a considerably lower BB height too.
All of these things add to the bikes stability. The downside of huge stability is always less agility.
This is why i suggested sizing down. Either the S or M will suit you fine. But the S will be far more playful and easier to maneover. Especially if you're on the lighter side or not particualrly strong (sorry for making this assumption from your gender, but it's normally the case)
Folk think it's just chainstay lenght that makes a bike easy to lift the front and pop. it's really not as simple as that. BB height and front centre affect how easily raising the front wheel is just as much.
either way, IMO you're definitely better off not going for the large.

You should enjoy it massively either way.

Ps. lighter, less draggy EXO casing tryes improve the bike's nimbleness massively if you're not riding technical DH every day. Switch to tubeless straight away too, the tubes Vitus supply are incredibly heavy and the wheels are already taped for tubeless, just add valves and sealant and off you go with a couple of heavy duty spare tubes to carry as spares. ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Proper [NERD] time now
I had to cross ref the geometry charts of both bikes and calculate this... Just, y'know.. coz
Sizing/fit wise although the Reign and ESommet in Medium have practically the same reach measurements (454 vs 455mm), The Reign actually has around 13mm lower stack height (vertical height from the BB axis to the top of the headtube). This equates to the reach on the M Esommet actually being around 6mm longer than the M Reign (for the same stem height).

Yeah, 6mm is nothing (a guy would say that tho, wouldn't he?) , and yeah, you probably won't notice much difference in sizing/fit with it being such a small difference.
But... if you find the front more difficult to raise on the M Esommet than you're used to on a lighter bike, you could fit a shorter stem (35-40mm) which will help stightly with the weight shift required to unweight the front. and importantly without detrimentally affecting front wheel load (grip) or steering response. and it should still leave you with enough room for a comfortable riding position.
I've ridden my Esommets tons, with 50mm and 35mm stems and liked both (for different reasons)

[/NERD]

Sophie

Apr 16, 2020
East Sussex
Thanks everyone for your advice. I took the plunge and bought the E-Sommet VRS. It arrived over 3 weeks ago but I’ve still not been able to use it because Chain Reaction didn’t send a charger and they’ve not been able to get hold of one. It’s been pretty frustrating but hopefully I’ll be able to get out and ride it soon.

I’m looking for advice because there’s a loose cable on the bike - I wondered if anyone might know where it’s meant to go/what it does?! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Sophie

CCCA0859-A750-4C19-86F3-735EC0011B47.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks everyone for your advice. I took the plunge and bought the E-Sommet VRS. It arrived over 3 weeks ago but I’ve still not been able to use it because Chain Reaction didn’t send a charger and they’ve not been able to get hold of one. It’s been pretty frustrating but hopefully I’ll be able to get out and ride it soon.

I’m looking for advice because there’s a loose cable on the bike - I wondered if anyone might know where it’s meant to go/what it does?! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Sophie

View attachment 32173
It's A shimano steps cable. Should plug into one of the ports on the rear of the display. You'll probably find one is open (a hole), without a blank in, it goes in there. It should go in with a bit of a click and need a firmish push.

Where ever you route it, normally with one of the gear cables for instance so it's slightly protected from getting caught on a branch, make sure it can still move correctly with the handlebars and isn't too tight - they stop working if they're too tight.

Sophie

Apr 16, 2020
East Sussex
It's A shimano steps cable. Should plug into one of the ports on the rear of the display. You'll probably find one is open (a hole), without a blank in, it goes in there. It should go in with a bit of a click and need a firmish push.

Where ever you route it, normally with one of the gear cables for instance so it's slightly protected from getting caught on a branch, make sure it can still move correctly with the handlebars and isn't too tight - they stop working if they're too tight.

Thank you! I’ll give it a go. Just have to wait patiently for the charger so I can use it properly!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles