Neeko DeVinchi on EMTB FORUMS

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
You might want to take a read of this before posting any more videos of your unlicenced, untaxed and uninsured electric motorcycle.
I'm fully aware of the consequences. Rest assured. There is a purpose for whipping out the bafang ultra M620 bike (testing a particular drive train to see whether it truly is emtb rated).
I'll elaborate more in upcoming videos but cheers for your concern ??

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
If ever the phrase " All the gear and no idea " applied to anyone ..you would be a serious contender ..??
?
You've made your point Hodge. Look I'm not going to justify my antics (just recognise that there are 'some' who take delight in spamming boarderlined discrimination comments on other social media platforms). Incidentally, NO ONE SHOULD ASSUME I'M REFERRING TO THIS FORUM. I have an online presence elsewhere and it is to the other furoms (mtb oriented which I will not highlight), who i take issue with.
My recent outbreak on this furom followed from a 'VERY IMPOLITE HUMAN BEING' who had no remorse to use a derogative phrase which I cannot stand.
Ultimately Hodge, yes, I apologies for my comments (person and public) and I applaud the moderators for the quick action to remind me that 'if I've got nothing good to say, dont say anything'.
I wont ask for forgiveness, but I will say this, the reason why you dont myself at bike parks is because of the discrimination I have encountered (which has left a lasting impression). Riders who know me personally will vouch on this. To that end, I ride in specific locations to avoid the evil taunts of lesser minded riders (picking my words carefully).

Anywho, cheers for the view and don't stop watching (even if it is for amusement) ??

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Neeko
My response to your posts have never been directed at you personally ..but at the fact that you seem hell bent on riding illegal motor bikes ..and trying to pass them off as ebikes ..
I would have thought that in your day job as a " defence solicitor " ..you would have been keen to uphold the law and not act above it ..
Just in case folks dont understand what I'm alluding to ..you posted a picture of a ( motor) bike yesterday in the " pic of the day " section
describing it as having 160nm of torque with a 1 kilowatt battery..throttle actuated motor ..with a top speed of 60mph next to a sign in a public park ( where it obvious you had been riding it ) saying "Stay Safe" ..
I wonder where you would be now if you had been unfortunate enough to have an accident involving a pedestrian ?
To then go on from there and verbally abuse me ..both on that thread and with your personal message because I had voiced my concern ..thats a little hard to stomach .
Screenshot_20210712-174355_Chrome.jpg

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Neeko
My response to your posts have never been directed at you personally ..but at the fact that you seem hell bent on riding illegal motor bikes ..and trying to pass them off as ebikes ..
I would have thought that in your day job as a " defence solicitor " ..you would have been keen to uphold the law and not act above it ..
Just in case folks dont understand what I'm alluding to ..you posted a picture of a ( motor) bike yesterday in the " pic of the day " section
describing it as having 160nm of torque with a 1 kilowatt battery..throttle actuated motor ..with a top speed of 60mph next to a sign in a public park ( where it obvious you had been riding it ) saying "Stay Safe" ..
I wonder where you would be now if you had been unfortunate enough to have an accident involving a pedestrian ?
To then go on from there and verbally abuse me ..both on that thread and with your personal message because I had voiced my concern ..thats a little hard to stomach .
View attachment 66395
Like I said, you made your point. And I don't ordinarily do this. Again, it was for testing a particular drive train (although, that's not really the best justification).
The bike itself is rarely used and I make it a concerted effort on my part to pick my location and times carefully to avoid pedestrians. Although, a random dog not on a leash was a bit of a surprise in a public national trust ?.
Rest assured, I have enough footage for upcoming videos so it is back in storage ??

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Although, a random dog not on a leash was a bit of a surprise in a public national trust ?.

Seriously not doing yourself any favours mate. Because a dog off a lead is exactly what you’d expect in a National trust park…

Not some fella on an illegal electric bike.

It’s easy to see why your attitude could antagonise, particularly when you chose to try use this to create content and raise your ‘public’ profile.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Seriously not doing yourself any favours mate. Because a dog off a lead is exactly what you’d expect in a National trust park…

Not some fella on an illegal electric bike.

It’s easy to see why your attitude could antagonise, particularly when you chose to try use this to create content and raise your ‘public’ profile.
Lol. The random dog of its lead occurred whilst I was on the Levo '5:35'.
Look I'm not going to be 'that guy' who points out that a dog of its lead in a public park is considered uncontrolled. Nor ask the question, 'where is its owner?'.
I'm fully aware of what I highlight as content and considering most would be quick to raise issue with a random dog wondering around.

You just have trust me (or dont), I make it a concerted effort on my part to not pose risk to others whenever I ride a bike.
But if you need proof, watch the video and see 'without hesitation' my immediate disembark off the bike.
Thanks for your concern ??

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
There’s no concern on my part fella. We all make our choices. And should stand by our consequences ?? Your a big lad and do what you think is best….

I haven’t seen the video (sorry I didn’t watch it all the way through), I was just referring to your previous post. Which in context was referring to the bafang bike.

I have however just watched it back…and the levo prob shouldn’t be being riden in a National trust park either. As it looks like a footpath And not a specific mtb trail. I’m sure you’ll correct me either way.

A random dog in that video isn’t random. The bike flying down a path is.

And watching that back I have no trust you have any understanding of the risks you pose to the general public out walking their dogs ?

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Super stoked to finally get my hands on one of these.
I stuck to my guns and resisted the temptation to buy second hand.
Huge shout out to Wiggle for the hook up (at a very appreciative reduced price ?).

This is gonna go nicely with the Status 160??

20210714_123413.jpg

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
The untold story of why mountain biking struggles to be inclusive

Before I start this article, I will say this. This is not for the casual reader who quickly glances at threads and looks at pictures. There are no pictures, nor videos, nor fun tales I would/could regale you with.

This article will coincide with an upcoming video which is being edited as we speak which solely concentrates on the title of this thread. Again, you have been warned and what shall be delved into, are matters which have occurred involving not only myself, but kindred riders who have had to learn tolerance. Indeed, their continued effort to ride is a testament to their contribution for advocating ‘for all’ who are not recognised, heard or feel that their opinions would alienate them in grand scheme of things.

Similarly enough, this article will exist on two threads. My own and FabT thread which will serve as the link from the video. The FabT thread doesn't show on EMTB Forums main website feed but like my personal thread, it allows me to catalogue all updates and developments until it moves on to it's own platform. With that out of the way, let's get this done.

In order to truly give an explanation as to my rationale, It should be mentioned that I have gone on record to speak publicly about the diversity within the sport of mountain biking. Whilst mountain biking forms a part of cycling and cycling is a sport, it is best that we concentrate on the facts, evidence and testimonies of others who unfortunately are scrutinised for raising this point and are met with hostilities which soon leads them to quit the sport entirely.

Whilst on a personal note I have been credited on my videos for my ‘well spoken presenting ability’ (what ever that means. The queen’s English is spoken in over 20 countries), I will gladly admit that I am not the first non-Caucasian English speaking male rider to take to mountain biking. Many of my contemporaries who I follow who relish in the mountain biking, have merely left the social media / social event radar to avoid the nonstop persecution which has led them to guard their mental health. Plagued with the fear that any further materials or content they shown/highlight would reflect their disconcert as to what each of them have personally witnessed and encountered.

At first after hearing about their personal encounters with ‘other’ riders who have ‘without hesitation’ used derogative language in effort to exert their position for belonging to the sport moreso than others, I was reluctant to acknowledge this. Granted, naivety on my part did get the better of me going back 4 years ago. However witnessing the same perpetuate behaviour exhibited to myself on dozens of occasions at different bike parks and venues, forces one to contemplate the hard question ‘is this worth it?’.

It did not take me long to cross paths with other riders (in different countries) who have explained similar treatment to which they have experienced. And yet, one rudimentary factor still remains apparent. A stigma which for reasons unknown, still plays it’s hand in the industry to highlighting a particular demographic which remains culturally biased for not advocating for ‘ALL’ riders who get inspired after seeing or hearing about the numerous locations to ride.

One type of location is many of you would be familiar with, is a bike part. I have courteously declined numerous invites and group rides when asked whether I would ride at any bike park. To which I’m then forced to reveal particular stories and events which has left a scaring impression to all bike parks. However, never would I seek to deprive someone of the experience and advantages riders gain from riding maintained trails. Indeed, bike parks will advance any riders skills quickly and confidentially. This I am reminded of constantly by seasoned riders (on and off the forum) who have taken full advantage of this luxury.

However, I found myself speaking with a parent of a young rider of colour recently who has confided in me, following a recent incident which shocked me to my core. The brief version of this story reveals that the young rider bike was nearly given to another rider after uphill shuttle by a park official as the bikes were being unloaded. On the pretence (explained and witnessed by the parent), that someone of his ethnicity would not ordinarily own/ride the bike in which his parents brought him for his birthday. I’m thankful his father (who was on a hardtail god bless him), quickly stepped in before his £2400 full suspension bike was nearly given asway to someone else, never to be seen again. And the youngman left with (what I assume was a Halfords voodoo hardtail without a dropper).

Through my profession, I am no stranger to filing complaints (or if necessary, escalating/filing court proceedings and appeals), Correspondence has been sent to these bike parks for their account concerning their policies in respect of rider mental health and wellbeing, bullying, equal representation on advocacy they publicise and whilst I personally did not take issue with this, I did contact one particular bike park concerning their rationale for charging a higher price for those who choose to ride bike parks on emtbs. Naturally, none have responded via email and associated websites for these parks do not contain information pertaining to their respective choices of policy or guidance to the above listed (as of Wednesday 14th July 2021 at 17:55).

Similarly enough, I have sent multiple emails to numerous manufactures of bikes on their view concerning equality, diversity, representation and equal access to their product. ‘Only One’ has responded. I shall reframe highlighting brand however.

Nevertheless, my own experiences throughout riding has been somewhat unorthodox (though not through my own choice). From my experience being revered and treated as a thief at my 1st local bike shop which I was forced to buy online, to progressing my own skills and discovering trails on my own without being bullied/antagonised by the ignorant, to the hostiles I’ve encountered at trail centres, bike parks, social media etc and recognising a particular stigma which revolves around gauging someone’s potential financial circumstances, based on their ethnicity/environment/background etc. I could go into meticulous detail elaborating further but the anger would only flare up. In the great words of M’bako from the 2019 Black Panther movie, ‘We will not have it!!!!’.

The movement to which I started ‘#FabT’ For a better Tomorrow, is going push to forward. To eliminate the stigma that no sport is based or bound by a particular archetype. And whilst many have thrown abuse and laughed at the notion, I bring to your attention the GMBN dirt shed show episode ‘Making Mountain Biking More Inclusive’. My comment remains public and stands it stands to reason, that others agree and I am not alone!!!

And it is to the generation of riders (of all walks of life) which I say, I’ll do my part to ensure that nothing or no one deters you away from considering this sport as an option.

Rest easy to those whose voices aren’t heard or acknowledged, you’ve cough my attention and I’ll take it further.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Cycling in general has a lack of diversity and a lot of elitism that probably turns into something much uglier all too easily. Not sure how to be a part of the solution. I've reached out to a few organizations but never received any reply. At the very least I can offer a friendly resource for mechanical advice.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Cycling in general has a lack of diversity and a lot of elitism that probably turns into something much uglier all too easily. Not sure how to be a part of the solution. I've reached out to a few organizations but never received any reply. At the very least I can offer a friendly resource for mechanical advice.
Your very kind. As you've said, you've reached out to some organisations and haven't had a response. Indeed, most organisations when confronted with questions based on equality and diversity usually become apprehensive when responding.

I do believe that opening dialogue is the way forward but I'll strive to seek answers.

The best way you can help, is to keep on riding for a better tomorrow ??

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
The best way you can help, is to keep on riding for a better tomorrow ??

If we ride for a good today, tomorrow will follow.
I've ridden with folks of a variety of colors and met riders on the trail from many countries. Strangely, I can't recall ever riding with an Englishman. But I usually celebrate the Queen's Birthday by drinking beer and playing croquet. Cheers, mate!

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I work in a very diverse field and with people from all walks of life. Having worked in London or surrounds for most of my professional career and undertaking multiple "awareness" courses, I always find it strange that in this day and age there is still an issue.

**going off in a tangent here**
I'm an F1 fan, invested deeply in the heart of racing for as long as I can remember, when Lewis came into the sport there was so much excitement but also so much negativity. I struggled with this as all I saw was an epic racer who wasn't afraid to send it to the outside around 3 other cars and pull it off. So Much has been made about his stand and taking the knee on the grid, I think it's fantastic that he's using his platform to highlight the issues he has faced in his career and wants to use that to improve things.
All that said he's recently published the Hamilton commission findings, and the way it displayed its findings makes us all look bad. If I pick out Teachers in the percentages (I think it was only 4% of teachers were of a black background) it needs to have context. I Live in a village where there is only one black family and the school that has possibly 300 children only has 2-5 black children. I know If I go back to some of my work in inner London schools those figures are completely reversed. It's all about context.

I was marked down recently on pinkbike when Redbull made the announcement of Eliot Jackson, I'm totally not a fan, not because of his riding ability or colour but because he's so laid back, when he talks he drives me nuts and I want to hurry him along lol. That's true for most Californians though, too chilled. That I think says more about me and being a Londoner and wanting things done quickly?

Anywhooo................Back to where I was going with this, I've ridden with big groups, small groups, fast groups, and slow groups, what is the most important thing to me is that we're having fun. Some people take it all too seriously (it's why came away from XC racing) to do Enduro and that was a lot more relaxed and fun. The cross-section of MTBR's in our local groups, I find to be from all walks of life. In my local area, they go from city Banker high flyers to (notably very good riding) burly Scaffolders, We all get on and have a laugh. What we lack is different ethnic backgrounds, not because we exclude them, but because they're not really in our local area.

If you're a nice person and like to ride your bike, you're ok with me.

Just my two penneth.

Ian.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
I work in a very diverse field and with people from all walks of life. Having worked in London or surrounds for most of my professional career and undertaking multiple "awareness" courses, I always find it strange that in this day and age there is still an issue.

**going off in a tangent here**
I'm an F1 fan, invested deeply in the heart of racing for as long as I can remember, when Lewis came into the sport there was so much excitement but also so much negativity. I struggled with this as all I saw was an epic racer who wasn't afraid to send it to the outside around 3 other cars and pull it off. So Much has been made about his stand and taking the knee on the grid, I think it's fantastic that he's using his platform to highlight the issues he has faced in his career and wants to use that to improve things.
All that said he's recently published the Hamilton commission findings, and the way it displayed its findings makes us all look bad. If I pick out Teachers in the percentages (I think it was only 4% of teachers were of a black background) it needs to have context. I Live in a village where there is only one black family and the school that has possibly 300 children only has 2-5 black children. I know If I go back to some of my work in inner London schools those figures are completely reversed. It's all about context.

I was marked down recently on pinkbike when Redbull made the announcement of Eliot Jackson, I'm totally not a fan, not because of his riding ability or colour but because he's so laid back, when he talks he drives me nuts and I want to hurry him along lol. That's true for most Californians though, too chilled. That I think says more about me and being a Londoner and wanting things done quickly?

Anywhooo................Back to where I was going with this, I've ridden with big groups, small groups, fast groups, and slow groups, what is the most important thing to me is that we're having fun. Some people take it all too seriously (it's why came away from XC racing) to do Enduro and that was a lot more relaxed and fun. The cross-section of MTBR's in our local groups, I find to be from all walks of life. In my local area, they go from city Banker high flyers to (notably very good riding) burly Scaffolders, We all get on and have a laugh. What we lack is different ethnic backgrounds, not because we exclude them, but because they're not really in our local area.

If you're a nice person and like to ride your bike, you're ok with me.

Just my two penneth.

Ian.
I appreciate your comment Ian. The above brief article was not easy to write. Regardless of my view, I still consider myself a rider. At the end of the day, I do believe that through a culmination of factors, this can deter potential riders from different walks of life from relishing in the sport. Whether this be through positive advocacy, representation or, awareness.

I'll resist the temptation to refer to other sports as examples which have historically demonstrated discrimination. But keeping on track, multiple studies have been done which shows the imbalance of riders within cycling. This too, is reflected in mountain biking.
Many have speculated as to the reason why. However, these speculations have neither demonstrated or provided evidence to support their claims. One study I recall reading elaborated on ethnicity vs environment and background which suggested that someone of a poorer background was less likely to take to cycling. My issue with this study was that it did not break down the fundamentals of how a bike is perceived or recognised within the demographic of a particular location. Especially since cars, mobile phones, access to the education etc is being tackled.

I'll everyone updated with any findings I unearth ??

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
I think I'll use this template as a method for doing other comparisons. Even so, it was difficult to condense it to my usual 15min length.

Anywho, I think the next comparison vid will be mtb related and then I'll jump back to emtb related.

As always, don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions ??

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles