SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
Just ordered my CEF50 frame, 720W battery and m820 motor. Anyone have a build spec they would like to share with links for parts. New to start collecting the components. Shooting for ~40lbs build.

Thanks.......dp
Scroll up my build. And it's impossible to build 40lbs with 720Wh battery. With better components than me I think U can get around 42-43lbs.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
You need to study the info in this thread to get a feel for the distance the crank sticks out at the attachment point and the curve of the arms and how much offset they have. There is a post about Miranda cranks on how they fit vs the original Bafang cranks. Then you can compare those to the ones you are looking at if they provide any data.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I am going copy some the build images up the spec page as a gallery. If you don't want your images copied up just let me know and I'll remove them.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
The site won't let me because it makes the post to long for the system.

So I created a gallery thread. Please if I missed your bike or you want another or different picture let me know.

Last edited:

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
Hey Folks! Hells yaaaa!🤙 Totally worth it! First ride was this morning. Built up a burly trail version 160f/165r for now. It's slightly heavier at 48+/- lbs with big tires, sealant, foam inserts, and pedals.

View attachment 116726

Waiting on my Zeb 38/180mm upgrades and then I'll install my lighter carbon wheelset, and lighter componentry. But should be 45 lbs soon! 🤞

I'm running the 720 Wh battery. And use the 245 color display.

I'm a heavy rider at 285+/- lbs. Did 20+ miles with 53% remaining. Today's trail was flatter choppy, sandy terrain with a few shorty techy climbs.

View attachment 116725

Stayed mostly in S-power mode (level 3 of 5) 70% of ride with bursts of S+ mode (level 4 of 5) at 20% and B/Boost-mode (5) at 10%.

Pedal drag exists, but it's low. I pedaled on zero mode for 1 mile in sandy, soft conditions...it's doable but not ideal of course.

Superburst "Rocky" doesn't exist for the 245 display. But it's unnecessary. I have a 181 display too, and I'll try that soon to see if it exists there.

Major Pro: 👍 The Bafang-M820 -75Nm power is 3/4 of a full-powered motor. It's by far way stronger than the TQ50, Fauza60, RS60! It really feels more like 75-80 Nm! IMHO😇

Minor Con: 👎 The motor whir is a mild tea kettle-like whistle in all modes. It doesn't both me at all!

The CEF50 rides well. And I was able to run my fatter RS SLDX MegNeg 210 x 55 for the bigger 165 mm travel. No binding at the pivot/rocker arm but I only did small pops and drops. So, 55 mm big stroke works for me at least!🤙 I'm looking forward to installing a more balanced 180 travel fork soon!

Overall, the maiden ride was impressive!😎

✅ powerful motor
✅ long range battery
✅ big enduro travel 180f/165r
✅ agile with a lighter rig-feel

❌ Minor whistle-noise
❌ Weak walk-mode (good only for shifting gears off the bike for an optimal setup)

❔Long term frame durability.

4.5 ⭐ out of 5!!!

The sweet spot is achieved? Maybe...

💸Full-powered riders will still enjoy the slightly lower power for 10 lbs + savings of agility and range!

💸Analogue riders converting to an E-mtb will enjoy the power, but not suffer the from hefty weight of a full-powered rig.
Sweet spot indeed! Very tidy build TC!

Just saw this thread, forgive if this has been discussed previously. I prefer B plus wheels as well, and from the geometry figures on this frame the BB drop is only 20mm which would be helpful to avoid pedal strikes with them. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ

Just saw this thread, forgive if this has been discussed previously. I prefer B plus wheels as well, and from the geometry figures on this frame the BB drop is only 20mm which would be helpful to avoid pedal strikes with them. Any thoughts?

Cheers.
Go 180:mm fork and 155 mm cranks. That's my plan. Just getting ready to overfork it tomorrow to see if motor height increases significantly. Plus, the 27.5er + is taller 28.6" so that's natural lift on both ends. My 3.0 is slightly taller than my 2.8, so a small angle is created inherently. The 180 44 OS should help stabilize the rake.🤞

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia

Cheers.
Mine is mullet with 165 cranks, BB height is the same with my Dengfu E10. It's safe, no pedal strike.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Mine is mullet with 165 cranks, BB height is the same with my Dengfu E10. It's safe, no pedal strike.
Mullet is the way...🤙
Screenshot_20230607-154814.png

Last edited:

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
29 er plus would be tight but I think it would clear...barely?, especially, if mud clearance isn't an issue...still unknowns!😬 Both fun when it works💪 and sucks when it doesn't. 🫣 Pioneering either way!🍻
It just depends what you mean by B plus :) Are we talkin 27.5x2.4 or are we talking 27.5x 3.8?
I really like my duro Crux 3.25.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
That's awesome, favourite tire is 27.5 x 3 High Roller, (just got the last four in existence :D). Next up 29 x 2.8 WTB.

Cheers.
Maxxis HR2 or die. 🤙

My last 27.5 x 3.0 for front, then just 2 left for the 2.8er. 😑

I also run Surly Dirt Wizards 3.0/60 TPI as a sub. Now unfortunately, the only manufacturer making the 3.0 + both 29l27.5 left in human history?

Apparently, thank the bike packers for keeping them alive according to Surly. That and the 36 hole hub.🤛

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
Maxxis HR2 or die. 🤙

My last 27.5 x 3.0 for front, then just 2 left for the 2.8er. 😑

I also run Surly Dirt Wizards 3.0/60 TPI as a sub. Now unfortunately, the only manufacturer making the 3.0 + both 29l27.5 left in human history?

Apparently, thank the bike packers for keeping them alive according to Surly. That and the 36 hole hub.🤛
It's a sad state of affairs. You don't know what you've got till it's gone.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Please take a photo of the headset, a photo from the side. Is there a gap between the frame and the top cover?
@LAnton could you have been sent the wrong bearing? Diameters inside and outside ok but the thickness/height is wrong?
The Nukeproof/Token bearing is 7mm thick.

Kenk3589

May 5, 2022
Usa
Anyone have pictures of how they installed the magnetic sensor? Not quite sure how this thing even works..

Btw is this the sensor? It doesn’t look anything like what is on bafang s website.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Kenk3589

May 5, 2022
Usa
Doesn't that mount to the brake rotor? Looks like the pickup magnet for the sensor
Lol it does. Thank you!

So now my bike turns on and the motor starts for like 2 seconds and then the motor power shuts off. The handlebar component is on but motor just doesn’t go.. anyone have experience with this?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Lol it does. Thank you!

So now my bike turns on and the motor starts for like 2 seconds and then the motor power shuts off. The handlebar component is on but motor just doesn’t go.. anyone have experience with this?
Probably your speed sensor.

Bolt on rotor magnet.

Adjust frame sensor to make sure lined up.

Keep adjusting alignment as needed.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles