Is more or less damping better?

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Hey all,

So before all of you 'roll your eyes' at the mere sight of the thread, please understand that I scrolled through the entire forum to see whether a thread exists which answers both front and rear suspension. Sadly, many of them deviated from the point and often ended up becoming a political battle.

Anywho, I'm curious to hearing your thoughts especially since were seeing lighter eebs dominate along side full fat eebs.

With the exception of @Rob Rides EMTB who touched on his experience between the Lyrik and the Zeb on his rail on one of his vids, most explanations of damping are generalised which (can) lead to misinterpretation/scrutiny.

In addition, I cant help but notice that many riders have gone coil (Coil shocks are sick!!!!??). But I was of the belief that not all suspension designs aren't optimised for coil shocks.

What are each of you running on your eebs and have you had to go above and beyond to fine tune your suspension?

Do you think manufacturers should adopt the approach that short travel eebs have more damaging compared to long travel?

Does it depend on the motor/battery capacity?

Let's get some discussion going people ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Some tech guy from Fox said that every rider needs no more than one click of rebound damping either side of the right one. Those +/- clicks were to deal with unusual trail conditions. Many more clicks are provided to deal with the huge range in rider weights and required performance.

So the answer to your question of "is more or less damping better?" Then I would say that the right amount is best and that plus or minus one click is also good. After that you will suffer worse performance.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
most explanations of damping are generalised which (can) lead to misinterpretation/scrutiny.
It doesn't sound like you have much of an understand of what damping actually is or how it is achieved.
Do you think manufacturers should adopt the approach that short travel eebs have more damaging damping compared to long travel?
Yep. you clearly don't

No. that's a bit like asking if suspension settings depend on whether the rider had one, two or three weetabix for breakfast.

Last edited:

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
It doesn't sound like you have much of an understand of what damping actually is or how it is achieved.

Yep. you clearly don't

No. that's a bit like asking if suspension settings depend on whether the rider had one or 3 weetabix for breakfast.
I'll elaborate @Gary .
Between the numerous bikes I own (some very similar to others which may run the same suspension), I have noticed that subject to what I want out of the bike, my suspension setup 'may' vary in accordance with giving more support in certain terrain.
Look I dont claim to be a suspension guru, but I don't mind keeping an open mind 'if' there is logic behind their rational.
By all means Gary, kindly correct me if I'm mistaken ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Different bikes obviously won't have the same leverage curves or suspension kinematics so of course they'll require different spring rates and damping settings to ride similarly.
it has nothing to do with any of the twaddle you've asked about.
and even less to do with politics

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Different bikes obviously won't have the same leverage curves or suspension kinematics so of course they'll require different spring rates and damping settings to ride similarly.
it has nothing to do with any of the twaddle you've asked about.
and even less to do with politics
? apologies @Gary
You still haven't answered the question though ?
More or less?
Who knows, you might win a prize if you answer ?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
? apologies @Gary
You still haven't answered the question though ?
More or less?
Who knows, you might win a prize if you answer ?
Damping has nothing to do with battery capacity or amount of travel, its related to to the weight of the rider and bike, the Leverage curve of the frame, the terrain being ridden, and the speed/ability of the rider, and the ride characteristics they desire.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
you haven't actually strung together a legible question that makes any sense yet.
Ok?
Do you prefer a platform with good mini-stroke support for pedalling or, a platform which prioritizes in grip?

Also, do you prefer skittles or Fruit Pastilles? ?

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Damping has nothing to do with battery capacity or amount of travel, its related to to the weight of the rider and bike, the Leverage curve of the frame, the terrain being ridden, and the speed/ability of the rider, and the ride characteristics they desire.
Fair point, although I would be of the belief that a larger capacity battery denotes more weight. But i could be wrong ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ok?
Do you prefer a platform with good mini-stroke support for pedalling or, a platform which prioritizes in grip?
mini-stroke-like-aregular-stroke-but-fun-sized-21901214.png

FFS Goanae spell check, eh? ?

A bike with good antisquat characteristics AND good midstroke support will pedal and accelerate well and offer a well composed rear end that gives good grip. leverage curve will determine how supportive each portion of travel is regardless of shock or settings.

Please at least acquaint yourself with the fundamentals of the subject before asking such futile questons
the suspension set-up sticky in this forum is a decent place to start.

Are you standing in for Eddy tonight?

Last edited:

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Could of swore I typed 'mid-stroke'. Damn auto spelling correcting thing. Nevermind.
Anywho, I'm not as green as I am cabbage looking @Gary . But perhaps your right. I'll touch upon my suspension trivia before starting another thread.
As for @Eddy Current , he's cool. He's a man who knows what he likes ?
SKITTLES FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!

@Zimmerframe , maybe you can help me out. I've entered a conversation with 7 mtb'ers who quate 'blame ebikes for the destruction of trails in Clent Hills (an area in my neck of the woods). In an effort to defuse the conversation, I've asked them a question which they're still arguing over amongst themselves.

The question is, out of your 5 senses, which 3 do you 'not' need to ride a bike?

I'm being pestered for an answer. Any ideas?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The question is, out of your 5 senses, which 3 do you 'not' need to ride a bike?
Sounds like a trick question .. in theory, you don't "NEED" Taste, Smell, Hearing .. Where as for most of us sight and touch would be essential - though I'm sure there are many without these who have managed also - so it sounds like a stupid question as well as a trick question ??

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Sounds like a trick question .. in theory, you don't "NEED" Taste, Smell, Hearing .. Where as for most of us sight and touch would be essential - though I'm sure there are many without these who have managed also - so it sounds like a stupid question as well as a trick question ??
Correct ?
It is a trick question.
Its a pity the others didn't figure it out until the barmaid told them.
You should have seen the look on their faces ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I like Eddy too Neeko. And Eddy may well know whether he likes skittles or fruit pastilles more... but that still doesn't mean he wouldn't prefer other as yet untasted treats. ;)

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Hey all,

So before all of you 'roll your eyes' at the mere sight of the thread, please understand that I scrolled through the entire forum to see whether a thread exists which answers both front and rear suspension. Sadly, many of them deviated from the point and often ended up becoming a political battle.

Anywho, I'm curious to hearing your thoughts especially since were seeing lighter eebs dominate along side full fat eebs.

With the exception of @Rob Rides EMTB who touched on his experience between the Lyrik and the Zeb on his rail on one of his vids, most explanations of damping are generalised which (can) lead to misinterpretation/scrutiny.

In addition, I cant help but notice that many riders have gone coil (Coil shocks are sick!!!!??). But I was of the belief that not all suspension designs aren't optimised for coil shocks.

What are each of you running on your eebs and have you had to go above and beyond to fine tune your suspension?

Do you think manufacturers should adopt the approach that short travel eebs have more damaging compared to long travel?

Let's get some discussion going people ?

G`day Neeko

This guy does a good job of explaining dampers .

Last edited:

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia

I had no sense of smell for three years. Now it's back I must say, mostly, I'm not impressed! Coffee is good but some of that other stuff is a real worry.... :)

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles