Which is better for technical climbs…

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Just thought I would put this question out there, if you have a technical rooty steep climb which mode would you prefer emtb, or turbo ? Do you find more traction with emtb?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Personally EMTB. I find you have more control over speed and power, but still have pretty much the same power as Turbo if you need it (the difference being you have to work for it a bit more). Turbo maintains power slightly more when you ease off, which can be useful, but then it depends on the surface as the power coming in too strongly could cause you to spin out/flip out if you're body position is wrong/you react too slowly/you're crap (I'm C).

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I used to like Tour ..I say used to as I'm convinced that since the replacement motor I'm now stuck with Tour plus ..which I'm not a fan of ..
On really steep technical climbs emtb mode..I rarely use Turbo at all ..it just eats range ..

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
For me it varies with what bike I ride, and whether there is any opportunity to gain momentum before the climb. In general EMTB offers more control but Turbo is more useful if the climb is sudden with no run up.
My bikes also vary. On eis a Whyte E180 Rs and the other a Whyte E160 RSX. The 160 is much better at climbing due to better front to back balance meaning I can get up on the pedals and be forward over the bars without losing traction. That makes it easier to use EMTB for all but the more extreme climbs or those with no run up. The E180 requires far more rider weight distribution movement to retain traction and also prevent looping out.

ps I have now tuned EMTB in the Fow app and on the E160 it is now even more first choice for climbs.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Thanks for all the feedback guys I think may need to try emtb on my next technical climb, I’ve been using turbo tbh, but as things get more slick and I ride more off piste it had me wondering if emtb would actually be better to maintain traction, and after reading these responses I will definitely try it tomorrow thanks guys !

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
EMTB definitely. I rarely use turbo unless its just a really steep road climb.
Turbo tends to spin the rear wheel on wet rocks/routes - EMTB offers a lot more control.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I use turbo (or boost) whenever the “technical” terrain is also steep. I consider this way I can keep my mind focused more on choosing and holding a line than on delivering power to the pedals.
But thats just me, who also prefer short, chainstays and wheelbase, for climbing…

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you use turbo you just need to employ a slightly different technique that in EMTB.

Power delivery in turbo is more instant in turbo than EMTB and it also has more overrun. So, as long as you use a low enough gear ( and if the climb suggests a need for turbo then you should be in one of the 2 lowest gears) you do not need to really push hard on the cranks, and you can stop pedalling momentarilly when crossing a root or negotiating a square edge rock etc. That way you retain grip and control.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just deliver the power to the pedal as if you’re going upstairs late while the wife is sleeping…
She's asleep downstairs ?? Who's the mystery lady upstairs ? You're a naughty boy @B1rdie ;-)

Totally unrelated to your wonderful South American love life ...

Now we have EMTB's, how come no one's made a bike park called Snakes and Ladders.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
If you use turbo you just need to employ a slightly different technique that in EMTB.

Power delivery in turbo is more instant in turbo than EMTB and it also has more overrun. So, as long as you use a low enough gear ( and if the climb suggests a need for turbo then you should be in one of the 2 lowest gears) you do not need to really push hard on the cranks, and you can stop pedalling momentarilly when crossing a root or negotiating a square edge rock etc. That way you retain grip and control.

Thanks mate that’s great feedback,

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Thanks for all the feedback guys I think may need to try emtb on my next technical climb, I’ve been using turbo tbh, but as things get more slick and I ride more off piste it had me wondering if emtb would actually be better to maintain traction, and after reading these responses I will definitely try it tomorrow thanks guys !
Takes some steady practice, however, the technique using light brake dragging in mid-power or turbo (Shimano terminology: Trail & Boost) to control power is helpful when it’s a gnarly section.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Just thought I would put this question out there, if you have a technical rooty steep climb which mode would you prefer emtb, or turbo ? Do you find more traction with emtb?
If I'm going up about a dozen steps its got to be turbo . Same on short technical bits . It would be interesting to see the difference in what we all call technical bits . Age and experience would be a big factor here . Also how big your balls are ( Or used to be ) .

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Takes some steady practice, however, the technique using light brake dragging in mid-power or turbo (Shimano terminology: Trail & Boost) to control power is helpful when it’s a gnarly section.

I just watched this technique in a video to, I’ll have to give it a go

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I just watched this technique in a video to, I’ll have to give it a go
At first you may either grab a little too much brake or charge out of (and off) switchback halfway round. Lol, I provided some entertainment for other riders in the beginning… the riders were my son’s group who had a laugh.

Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
I agree short punchy strep climbs turbo for sure but anything technical EMBT or level 4 on my Yamaha motor. I live in Lake Tahoe and we have lots of longish chunky technical climbs of varying steepness and climbing in 4 with 5 in reserve let’s me climb without worrying about shifting so no crunching gears or broken chains and the power shift makes a big difference and can be brought down smoothly.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
At first you may either grab a little too much brake or charge out of (and off) switchback halfway round. Lol, I provided some entertainment for other riders in the beginning… the riders were my son’s group who had a laugh.

Haha yeah that definitely sounds like what I will do the first few times haha 😂

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles