Bigger is better!!!

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Been trying to get these Code R brakes to work for a decent long downhill and without fading and squealing like a dying pig.
I have trick stuff pads, and tried about every pad exp the new carbon metallic braking pads as there impossible to find in the states.
So made a bracket and slapped the Hope 225mm rotor up from give it a go tomorrow see how it rolls, or should i say slows the roll!!
Wasn’t able to find a stand-off bracket so put my mill to work.
Why buy one when you can make one for 5 times the cost. Lol
2hrs 16 min to machine that hanger.

D71E7304-87BE-440F-9E40-AD4D21420A7B.jpeg

C65B45F7-77FA-41EF-B77F-064FA8F6233F.jpeg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes I have seen that doing the rounds, and I think TRP are bringing one out shortly.

Reactions: njn

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Well done Tim, nothing like having the tools available to make your own brake stand off adaptor.

100% agree with you. For me, a bigger rotor is definitely better, you can feel the difference for sure (y)

I am running the recently new mineral oil Formula Cura 4 pots with sintered pads on the front of my 2019 Levo with the new Formula 220mm rotor and 160-220 adaptor. Been very happy with the power and modulation over the last 6 months of use. It has taken my one finger braking to a completely new eye popping level :eek:
I used to be a real big Formula fan a number of years ago (R1’s, T1’s and the super powerful RO’s) but they all used to seep fluid and destroy my bar and frame paint work and they could be a bit tideous to set up without the rotors dragging on the pads :(. Now they have gone down the mineral oil route and they have a much bigger pad/rotor clearance it is back to happy happy Formula brake days again!
I managed to get the brake, 220 rotor and 220 adaptor from the same seller (Lordgun) but see they are now out of stock re the rotor as I suppose everyone is going down this bigger rotor route now ;).

By the way, loving your post on the tyre and rim test. Just ordered an 2.6 EWild for the rear. Awesome work mate ?

9950D72E-FBC2-40B5-B977-7AAEA2C07FA7.jpeg

05C96631-A46B-4A9E-8920-F4D8F0F5E98B.jpeg

Last edited:

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Very nice! The new slx 4 pot with a 220 rotor might be a cheap powerful option. Keep my eye on His thread for adapter/rotor combo options. Eebs!!necessity is the mother of invention

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Well done Tim, nothing like having the tools available to make your own brake stand off adaptor.

100% agree with you. For me, a bigger rotor is definitely better, you can feel the difference for sure (y)

I am running the recently new mineral oil Formula Cura 4 pots with sintered pads on the front of my 2019 Levo with the new Formula 220mm rotor and 160-220 adaptor. Been very happy with the power and modulation over the last 6 months of use. It has taken my one finger braking to a completely new eye popping level :eek:
I used to be a real big Formula fan a number of years ago (R1’s, T1’s and the super powerful RO’s) but they all used to seep fluid and destroy my bar and frame paint work and they could be a bit tideous to set up without the rotors dragging on the pads :(. Now they have gone down the mineral oil route and they have a much bigger pad/rotor clearance it is back to happy happy Formula brake days again!
I managed to get the brake, 220 rotor and 220 adaptor from the same seller (Lordgun) but see they are now out of stock re the rotor as I suppose everyone is going down this bigger rotor route now ;).

By the way, loving your post on the tyre and rim test. Just ordered an 2.8 EWild for the rear. Awesome work mate ?

View attachment 14386

View attachment 14387

View attachment 14385
Your bike keeps getting more and more mental!

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
That 225 with trick stuff pads makes saint brakes look weak!!
But still has the code feel
I did 32 miles today and 9 long 3 mile steep DH RUNS with heavy braking 180 switch backs from high speed and usually by the third switch back i can’t let the bike run out in straight as i don’t have enough brake left with 3 fingers pulling.
My rear rotor isn’t blue, and my brakes only had a little squeaking after they cooled at the bottom but cleared up in a few miles of trail.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles