Is more or less damping better?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If the only senses I had on a bike were sight and touch, I'd be in trouble. Yes, I could do without the senses of smell, taste, and I'd miss hearing. But what about sensing movement? (ie which way is up, feeling the forces of gravity, momentum, which way my body is moving and/or being forced to move). How about proprioception, the sense of knowing where your body parts are? (So that you miss that tree branch or skirt that tree just enough to avoid a glancing blow). There are others I'm sure, but my evening meal has just been served and I must go now or I sense that I'd be in trouble.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Jesus wept! I rarely skip a thread but I’ve no idea what the discussion is about ?

When your riding a 35 gold that’s hard as rock and have tried a fox 38 you soon realise your wheels must be square shaped! So I’ll take a Zeb, fox 36/38 or Lyrik, no questions, no research.....just ride that cloud with the handle bars, yes sir!

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Hey all,

So before all of you 'roll your eyes' at the mere sight of the thread, please understand that I scrolled through the entire forum to see whether a thread exists which answers both front and rear suspension. Sadly, many of them deviated from the point and often ended up becoming a political battle.

Anywho, I'm curious to hearing your thoughts especially since were seeing lighter eebs dominate along side full fat eebs.

With the exception of @Rob Rides EMTB who touched on his experience between the Lyrik and the Zeb on his rail on one of his vids, most explanations of damping are generalised which (can) lead to misinterpretation/scrutiny.

In addition, I cant help but notice that many riders have gone coil (Coil shocks are sick!!!!??). But I was of the belief that not all suspension designs aren't optimised for coil shocks.

What are each of you running on your eebs and have you had to go above and beyond to fine tune your suspension?

Do you think manufacturers should adopt the approach that short travel eebs have more damaging compared to long travel?

Does it depend on the motor/battery capacity?

Let's get some discussion going people ?
My first question and it is a real one, what is the meaning of eebs?
It Quebec, Canada we might use that term.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Hey all,

So before all of you 'roll your eyes' at the mere sight of the thread, please understand that I scrolled through the entire forum to see whether a thread exists which answers both front and rear suspension. Sadly, many of them deviated from the point and often ended up becoming a political battle.

Anywho, I'm curious to hearing your thoughts especially since were seeing lighter eebs dominate along side full fat eebs.

With the exception of @Rob Rides EMTB who touched on his experience between the Lyrik and the Zeb on his rail on one of his vids, most explanations of damping are generalised which (can) lead to misinterpretation/scrutiny.

In addition, I cant help but notice that many riders have gone coil (Coil shocks are sick!!!!??). But I was of the belief that not all suspension designs aren't optimised for coil shocks.

What are each of you running on your eebs and have you had to go above and beyond to fine tune your suspension?

Do you think manufacturers should adopt the approach that short travel eebs have more damaging compared to long travel?

Does it depend on the motor/battery capacity?

Let's get some discussion going people ?

@Neeko - You are correct that not all suspension designs are optimized for coil shocks. Standard coils are linear springs by nature and may require a progressive (rising rate) leverage ratio frame to avoid blowing through too much travel and bottoming out.

I'm going to assume you're talking about REBOUND Damping above. Rebound damping is there to stop your spring (air or coil) from oscillating into oblivion...and you and your bike with it. It turns the spring's bounce into heat. The amount of damping is directly correlated with and proportional to, the spring rate force that needs to be damped ( based on your PSI for air, or lbs/in. for coil) and your rider + bike weight. Damping is one of the EASIEST things to get right because the usable range is so small it is more independent of other factors like terrain, trail types, ability. It's based on simple physics within the *usable range*.

I recommend the YT Channel andrextr and Vorsprung for good info (but very technical).
This video explains what ideal rear shock damping is and how to achieve a basic range close to ideal:
Fox and others are correct that generally speaking, you've only got about 3 clicks of ideal damping range on a rear shock. If I want more planted I run 1click more damping, more poppy maybe 1 click lighter. That's it. If you're outside of that range, either your shock adjusters are very fine-tuned (custom) or you are losing traction more than you should.

Travel and motors have nothing to do with damping.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
? apologies @Gary
You still haven't answered the question though ?
More or less?
Who knows, you might win a prize if you answer ?

RE: For info on bike frame design progressivity, see YT Channel andrextr. He evaluates several mfgs frames for such things, and other metrics like pedal efficiency, anti-bob/squat.

Andrextr probably does the best job explaining the concept (in my opinion).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles