Happy NBD to me - Orbea Wild FS H10

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Picked up my Wild FS H10 this afternoon, size Large (I'm 181cm). I had a fair amount of trepidation about sizing and the Orbea not following the current trend of long reach, but after actually riding it on the trail (vs car park tests), I'm really happy with it. I only had chance for a quick 90 mins blast around my local. I'm a co-parent with a little one this weekend so I won't be able to ride :((, but sure as shit I'll be out Monday morning after I drop him at school :)

My local is rocky, rooty, tight and twisty, and this bike destroyed it, it felt really good really quickly. Was nice to be on something burly feeling but it's still agile and railed corners - this is exactly what I was after. I got on with it straight away. Don't get me wrong I'm sure a bit more reach would help on super fast, long straight descents, but this bike is super agile and great for railing tight little berms - and we have a LOT of that stuff around Brisbane. Long descents not so much - but what we do have I can't wait to try on this thing. I'm keen to progress getting more airborne and uber reach didn't seem like the best idea for that either (I originally was looking at a Sam2). The 38 fork feels insanely good, it might be the best feeling fork I've ridden and I've had a lot of top shelf 36s (it's only a 38 Performance!). The back felt good but it had ALL the compression damping wound on - thanks again bike shop. So not sure I've felt much of the potential there yet. It got around just fine but there's a lot more there I know.

I'm really happy with the bike choice, and the bike fit.

After my quick ride I spent a few hours just now going tubeless, swapping the front DHF for an Assegai EXO+ 3C 2.6, putting a cushcore in the rear. I was umming and arring about cushcore but after actually riding the bike I realised I'll be mowing into any rocks I can find and I hate buying new wheels. So cushcore it is, in the back at least. I had OneUp pedals, Ergon seat and GE1 grips waiting for the bike and they're on it now.

Picking it up was fairly agonising with this kid going on about all the basics despite me telling him it's my 3rd ebike, and then dragging me through a painful and ineffective suspension setup process. I went through it all properly just now with the Fox site, calipers, etc.

I spent a hour or more getting the brakes/rotors completely silent, took much longer than usual because it took me a while to realise the caliper washers were around the wrong way on the back only. Good job bike shop.

Shifting also needed some work, and it's still not perfect, but I suspect it's the Sunrace cassette. Anyone else found this? I'll be searching about it. It's just not as snappy going up the cogs as the Garbaruk cassette I had on my last bike with the same drivetrain - won't be putting one of those on an ebike though. Especially from 6th to 5th the Sunrace struggles it seems. Will see how it goes on the trail but might be up for a better cassette.

Ynk1

Feb 27, 2021
Wildfs2021
Picked up my Wild FS H10 this afternoon, size Large (I'm 181cm). I had a fair amount of trepidation about sizing and the Orbea not following the current trend of long reach, but after actually riding it on the trail (vs car park tests), I'm really happy with it. I only had chance for a quick 90 mins blast around my local. I'm a co-parent with a little one this weekend so I won't be able to ride :((, but sure as shit I'll be out Monday morning after I drop him at school :)

My local is rocky, rooty, tight and twisty, and this bike destroyed it, it felt really good really quickly. Was nice to be on something burly feeling but it's still agile and railed corners - this is exactly what I was after. I got on with it straight away. Don't get me wrong I'm sure a bit more reach would help on super fast, long straight descents, but this bike is super agile and great for railing tight little berms - and we have a LOT of that stuff around Brisbane. Long descents not so much - but what we do have I can't wait to try on this thing. I'm keen to progress getting more airborne and uber reach didn't seem like the best idea for that either (I originally was looking at a Sam2). The 38 fork feels insanely good, it might be the best feeling fork I've ridden and I've had a lot of top shelf 36s (it's only a 38 Performance!). The back felt good but it had ALL the compression damping wound on - thanks again bike shop. So not sure I've felt much of the potential there yet. It got around just fine but there's a lot more there I know.

I'm really happy with the bike choice, and the bike fit.

After my quick ride I spent a few hours just now going tubeless, swapping the front DHF for an Assegai EXO+ 3C 2.6, putting a cushcore in the rear. I was umming and arring about cushcore but after actually riding the bike I realised I'll be mowing into any rocks I can find and I hate buying new wheels. So cushcore it is, in the back at least. I had OneUp pedals, Ergon seat and GE1 grips waiting for the bike and they're on it now.

Picking it up was fairly agonising with this kid going on about all the basics despite me telling him it's my 3rd ebike, and then dragging me through a painful and ineffective suspension setup process. I went through it all properly just now with the Fox site, calipers, etc.

I spent a hour or more getting the brakes/rotors completely silent, took much longer than usual because it took me a while to realise the caliper washers were around the wrong way on the back only. Good job bike shop.

Shifting also needed some work, and it's still not perfect, but I suspect it's the Sunrace cassette. Anyone else found this? I'll be searching about it. It's just not as snappy going up the cogs as the Garbaruk cassette I had on my last bike with the same drivetrain - won't be putting one of those on an ebike though. Especially from 6th to 5th the Sunrace struggles it seems. Will see how it goes on the trail but might be up for a better cassette.
Enjoy your new bike , Sunrace cassette is horrible and I changed it after 1000 miles, shifting noise improved after I changed the chain to shimano , now running full Sram set up and it is shifting quietly and precisely
Hope this helps

Reactions: Zed

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Enjoy your new bike , Sunrace cassette is horrible and I changed it after 1000 miles, shifting noise improved after I changed the chain to shimano , now running full Sram set up and it is shifting quietly and precisely
Hope this helps
(y)
It's funny after a lot of SRAM NX/GX/XO bikes, along with Codes/Guide RE brakes, I finally tried a full Shimano XT setup on my previous bike, a Knolly Fugitive, and I loved it. I found it really easy to get laser sharp shifting and it just stayed there, no fiddling. I found braking really consistent and I loved the strong initial bite. But it's funny how the same kit can feel different bike to bike. The XO on my Commencal for instance I just couldn't get right, where GX on other bikes was really quite good, more fiddly than the Shimano but good.
I see a Shimano cassette in my future though I think :)

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
The rule ?

1189E31E-AC4F-4228-A1C4-C581D292C049.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles