Hacking ! Why ?

Witte300

May 13, 2018
Belgium
I ride deristricted.
For riding in pack i’m not capable to keep the speed of the non e-bike riders. I’m just not fit enough to keep the speed 30km/h +. My top speed i can maintain is just under 40km/h, rpm’s getting to high for me. I enjoy my ride more this way, if i need the higher speed it’s possible. Do I ride fast always? Hell no! My average speeds are still around 20km/h.
My opinion on deristricting is simple, it’s on your own risk. My car kan drive 200km/h+, top speed we can drive here is 120. There are road cyclists that ride on cycle roads with speeds well over 45km/h, this with brakes impossible to stop them in a reasonable time. What do you do about them? It’s the manufacturer that make these speeds possible. Just my opinion, no offens of course.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
"It’s the manufacturer that make these speeds possible."
Hmmm... don't 'blame' the manufacturers, they make the assist to cut off @25kph.
But of course, everybody has perfectly reasonable and valid justifications to derestrict their ebikes. :cool:

Witte300

May 13, 2018
Belgium
I’m living in the more “flat” area in Belgium, meaning that the typical organized tours have around 500 hm incline for 50km. In the summertime we lookup the more fun parts, the Ardennes. The home tours are more fast rolling.

D

Deleted member 1275

Everyone’s reasons for derestricting or not are absolutely all valid. I fully respect them all. For me however, mountain biking (‘e’ or old skool) is about fun. Nothing other than fun. My ambition is not to ‘win’, or embarrass my non ‘e’ buddies, or to have the highest average speed on a loop, but purely to have fun. My road bike is about the Garmin data and improving on it for fitness reasons and all of it is to help make me a quicker motorcyclist. At 45 years old I am probably the unfittest and untalented guy on this forum, and do you know what? I am totally ok with that and happy to learn from all of you. Mountain biking for me is about smiles per mile and a learning exercise from you all.

Additionally, and as a final point, derestricting is not about trying to achieve the highest top speed but to negate the ‘treacle’ experience of my Bosch system which some random bureaucrat determined that in excess of 25kph meant that my motor and battery (which I paid a shed load of cash for) was deemed unsafe! I love evidence based decision making but have yet to see that in practice for this!!

Last edited by a moderator:

D

Deleted member 1275

What was the valid reason we gave the legislaters? Not criticising - genuinely intersted about your opinion on this!

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
If we say yes, it's absolutely valid and OK to derestrict the 25kph ebikes. Then we need to accept if the classification of the ebikes will change and the 25kph category will be 'erased' and all will be s-pedelec/moped. Right now they are classified as bicycles because of the limited assist speed (and the 250W continuous power), but it's not carved in stone.

D

Deleted member 1275

Sorry buddy but I have some experience professionally dealing with the European Commission surrounding issues with ‘validation’ and evidence-based decision making (not related with e bikes at all - in any way) but I still don’t know what you mean. Can you elaborate please?

To help clarify, in my post #99, when I said ‘valid’ I meant in the context of this thread and I apologise for the flippant use of English here - not helpful. In that context (post #99) I accept and respect people’s reasons for accepting or rejecting the restriction speed. Here I am asking something different. For example, to help clarify again, why does the USA have a restriction at a higher speed than the EU? Where is the evidence to make these decisions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Legislations can change that's all...

This is from Bosch:
"In legal terms, pedelecs with a support capacity of up to 25 km/h and an engine with a continuous rated power of up to 250 watts are equivalent to bicycles. As a result, eBike owners do not require any extra insurance, registration number or driving licence and are permitted to use cycle and forest paths. It's in everyone's best interest to maintain this status if we are to enjoy the same rights and freedoms as other cyclists."

D

Deleted member 1275

Thanks Tamas but we are talking about different things here. I will bail out of the discussion at this point. Im not talking about accepting the law but why and on what evidence are the laws determined and approved. Perhaps the 25kph limit in the EU is not safety based? Anyway, I will leave it to you fine people to discuss. ?

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Thanks Tamas but we are talking about different things here. I will bail out of the discussion at this point. Im not talking about accepting the law but why and on what evidence are the laws determined and approved. Perhaps the 25kph limit in the EU is not safety based? Anyway, I will leave it to you fine people to discuss. ?
The reason why the limit is set to 25kph in the EU is because one of the legislatures got hit by an electric bike and then decided to get the classification changed. I read it somewhere on Facebook.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
shouldn't they come under EU legislation though?
I would have thought so, but that doesn't appear to be the case. The UK only adopted the EU rules quite recently, before that the limit was 200W and 20kph if I recall correctly.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I derestricted mine. The motor went and I still got it replaced under warranty. So don’t worry about that.
Your motor may have been replaced under warranty that time, but there is no guarantee that it will be the same result for someone else.
I had a customer shred his belt on his Levo and they took care of it, even though he had it unlocked with BLEvo.
Two weeks later they wouldn’t take care of another customer under the same circumstances. My shop ended up eating the cost for that one.
I am not going to do that again

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Legislations can change that's all...

This is from Bosch:
"In legal terms, pedelecs with a support capacity of up to 25 km/h and an engine with a continuous rated power of up to 250 watts are equivalent to bicycles. As a result, eBike owners do not require any extra insurance, registration number or driving licence and are permitted to use cycle and forest paths. It's in everyone's best interest to maintain this status if we are to enjoy the same rights and freedoms as other cyclists."
This!
With those restrictions eBike owners can ride in the same places as mtb's.
Otherwise it's a e-moped and rules like a moped.

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
i find it dangerous hitting medium to large jumps on my E as the drag kicks in and it messes the whole approach, i have come short on many jumps i can easily clear on my acoustic fatbike! 15.6 is an Awful speed to limit at IMO :/

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
.... For example, to help clarify again, why does the USA have a restriction at a higher speed than the EU? Where is the evidence to make these decisions?

Another bizarre one: Australia 25km/h, New Zealand 32km/h. :unsure:. Virtually the same landscape (at least on the North Island), population density, roads infrastructure load.

Obviously different bureaucrats in Transport (or whatever) ministry makes the rule what is safe and what is not.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Your motor may have been replaced under warranty that time, but there is no guarantee that it will be the same result for someone else.
I had a customer shred his belt on his Levo and they took care of it, even though he had it unlocked with BLEvo.
Two weeks later they wouldn’t take care of another customer under the same circumstances. My shop ended up eating the cost for that one.
I am not going to do that again

Sales of goods act doesn't work that way. I could keep on taking this thing back again and again and again if I wanted to and if they didn't fix it I'd take them to court :)

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Another bizarre one: Australia 25km/h, New Zealand 32km/h. :unsure:. Virtually the same landscape (at least on the North Island), population density, roads infrastructure load.

Obviously different bureaucrats in Transport (or whatever) ministry makes the rule what is safe and what is not.
The flaw in your logic is assuming they use data or even logic to make thes rules. I suspect most countries looking to implement ebike laws from scratch simply Google what others have done and implement the first set of regs they find...

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Sales of goods act doesn't work that way. I could keep on taking this thing back again and again and again if I wanted to and if they didn't fix it I'd take them to court :)

But in the case as mentioned of riding an illegal (derestricted) e-bike would you really want to go to court?!

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
But in the case as mentioned of riding an illegal (derestricted) e-bike would you really want to go to court?!
Derestricting isn’t illegal. Riding a assisted bike that can go faster than 25kph on the road is - not the same thing. I’d like to see Specialized prove that I rode a bike on the road rather than a mountain.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD

Pretty sure sale of goods act doesn't cover cases where you breach the terms of the warranty but want them to fix it anyway, but im not a lawyer.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Pretty sure sale of goods act doesn't cover cases where you breach the terms of the warranty but want them to fix it anyway, but im not a lawyer.

Terms of the warranty are not relevant - statutory rights always exceeds those manufacturer supplied warranties.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
When you buy something it should last a reasonable amount of time under reasonable use. It’s a mountain bike. I should be able to ride it up and down one all day long.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles