Hacking ! Why ?

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
Just interested to know the reasoning , I thought that I would think the speed was too low but after riding it’s actually ok ,
Off-road it’s good and coming down I switch down anyways
With the implications regarding warranty, I would not like to meddle with my £6000 investment .
But interested to hear the thoughts of others .....

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'll be buying one soon and I sure would not contemplate chipping the bike for those same reasons (losing the warranty). But I can see why people would do it. Personally, I don't want to go any faster than 30mph - that speed scares the bejasus out of me, much happier at 25mph max. And that's on a clockwork mtb!

But to be riding a bike 10kg heavier than usual and finding the power assist is cut off at 15.7mph could be an irritant at best and maybe if you use your bike for commuting it could even be dangerous.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Hacking ! why ?

Because a lot of people are selfish and they don’t realise they adding fuel to the fire of eMtb hate and trail closures to ebikes.

I’m lucky in my part of the world that ebikes are mainly accepted on the trails. I can see this changing as they become more popular and there are more unrestricted bikes out there. As the percentage of eMtb owners goes up, the percentage of accidents goes up along with the way litigation is these days. On a unrestricted bike, can only lead to bad press.
The laws and rules are there for a reason.
But be selfish, and f it up for all. You’re only hurting the fight for acceptance into the future.

Btw, if you are riding on private property and not public areas, then go for your life. Unleash the beast

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
The only real case I see for derestricting an ebike is for getting to trails. Offroad the 15mph limit hasn't been an issue, but on tarmac it would be nice to have the assist not cut out.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
The only real case I see for derestricting an ebike is for getting to trails. Offroad the 15mph limit hasn't been an issue, but on tarmac it would be nice to have the assist not cut out.
Yeah, it would be nice, but really, if you have an accident....
If a pedestrian jumps out in front of you and you clean them up. Lawyers going to be all over that shit. Unrestricted bike, not legal, you’re screwed sunshine.
You would would of just dumped a jerry can of fuel on the ebike hate fire.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Yeah, it would be nice, but really, if you have an accident....
If a pedestrian jumps out in front of you and you clean them up. Lawyers going to be all over that shit. Unrestricted bike, not legal, you’re screwed sunshine.
You would would of just dumped a jerry can of fuel on the ebike hate fire.

Valid, but the roads I'd be riding on don't have pedestrians. Maybe if you live in a town or something.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
I see road bikers doing 50kph on a regular basis and nobody blinks a legal eye at them, even when they are doing these sort of speeds in congested areas and footpaths.

If people want to hack their bikes to get assistance up to around 45/50kph then I dont see any difference to the roadies doing that sort of speed unassisted.

I am not sure what the law would state but I assume someone on a hacked ebike would be in a lot more trouble than a guy on his road bike doing the same speed in the same area.

Ultimately, if you are sensible and considerate of the general public then it really shouldn't be an issue. It is still peddle assist and there is no throttle that could go wrong and send the bike zooming into a crowd of people.

Pendo

Jun 13, 2018
Australia
Had my Levo in for warranty work, part of the problem was Bluetooth not working, cable between battery and motor failed (common problem). So if I had been using a hack I would not have the chance to put bike back to factory settings. Would have been goodbye warranty.
Speed restriction has never worried me, I ride mainly single trail. When on the road I enjoy the easy pace, chance to smell the roses.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
Does anyone know if the BadAssEbikes dongle that clips over the sensor at the back of the bike and can be easliy removed in a few seconds can be detected by the manufactures?

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Would you be able to pedal into it on a regular bike? I'm convinced the extra 5kg over a normal bike isn't going to make or break it. That's not far off the difference between a full and empty camel back. Probably means you're in the wrong gear, so it feels like you hit a wall when you go over the limiter, or the jumps are badly built

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its when someone sues someone because the speed limit isnt higher and meant they couldn't clear the gap jump that things get interesting. :cool:

Worth remembering there are several threads on this subject, in the right section, that cover the topic in depth:

Deristricting

As a summation of the arguments, the main reason for derestricting in 99% of cases on the forum is nothing to do with top speed, but flow - the cut out point in countries where it is set at lower levels, sits at a point where if you are riding trails fast, the cutting in and out of the motor can be annoying and interfere with ones flow.

The main argument against it is the worry of harming the progression of acceptance of EMTBS, and the legal ramifications.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Would you be able to pedal into it on a regular bike? I'm convinced the extra 5kg over a normal bike isn't going to make or break it. That's not far off the difference between a full and empty camel back. Probably means you're in the wrong gear, so it feels like you hit a wall when you go over the limiter, or the jumps are badly built
Yeah can clear easy on the other bike. 5kg lol, it's closer to double the weight (10kg).

Interesting that the embn boys derestricted for jumps.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
This 25 km/h EU regulation is damn right ridiculous. Other continents have this set to 32 km/h and it is perfect and I would be fine with that.
But 25 km/h on the flat is just the speed that most of us can reach without assistance at moderate pace and this thing is cutting the power right there and than you have this string effect. Really don't understand does stupid EU law makers, that Europe have to be something special...:mad:

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Yeah can clear easy on the other bike. 5kg lol, it's closer to double the weight (10kg).

My enduro bike is 16.6kg, I'm guessing your levo is 21-22kg? Is your enduro bike really 10-11kg?

So if that weight is enough to stop you clearing it, @Doomanic is fucked and I should be soaring past the landing like a terrified Eagle.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK

My enduro bike is 16.6kg, I'm guessing your levo is 21-22kg? Is your enduro bike really 10-11kg?

So if that weight is enough to stop you clearing it, @Doomanic is fucked and I should be soaring past the landing like a terrified Eagle.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
When you're pedalling towards a gap jump and you realise you've not and can't get enough speed, then you'll know why.

Actually, I seem to recall that you said you don’t really do jumps. Are you sure it’s not a technique issue, rather than a speed issue?

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
What are we saying here.
Yes it's nice that some have embraced the restriction and are making the best of it, but honestly if there were no legal reasons and bikes come with no restrictions from the factory, wouldn't we all rather that be the case?

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB

Well 11.5kg yes, but I think we're getting OT here.

On the example I was referring to, It's a flat, short run in. I couldn't get enough speed on the levo. I can on my primer. That's because of the restrictor.

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
When you're pedalling towards a gap jump and you realise you've not and can't get enough speed, then you'll know why.

Interesting point and I understand this logic , personally now as over 50 I try to avoid jumping stuff as too many crashes and broken bones has improved my self protection response, keeping rubber to ground as much as possible now, so speeding toward gaps of certain death is not required ! Lol

Churchill

Jul 15, 2018
Idaho
All E-bikes should be restricted to a maximum speed of 9.63 km/h. Any faster is dangerous to the rider and any small children, pets or pedestrians that might be on the trail. If you want to ride faster than 9.63 km/h THEN GET A DIRT BIKE and ride it on a closed course where you are not putting other lives in danger!!

Additionally, riding faster than 9.63 km/h shows how selfish you are and does nothing more than ruin E-biking for everyone, for all time. E-biking means being responsible, and being responsible means always riding below the 9.63 km/h maximum safe speed.

All E-bikes everywhere need to be equipped from the manufacturer with a loud buzzer and bright red flashing light any time the maximum safe speed of 9.63 km/h is exceeded along with a speed sensor and brake assist motor that gradually applies braking force until the E-bike gently slows down to the maximum safe speed of 9.63 km/h. Also, a GPS receiver to monitor maximum speeds should be standard equipment. After each ride, a report with maximum speeds attained by the E-bike rider would be generated and sent via e-mail through a cell phone integrated into the bike frame to the local Trail Police. A small additional tax would be added to the cost of the E-bike along with a monthly subscription fee which would be used to fund the cost of the Trail Police system and the incarceration of maximum safe speed violators.

Until these sane, necessary, and prudent measures are put in place to ensure the safety of the public, everyone here should commit to never exceeding the restricted speed that has been set at the factory on their E-bikes. This includes when coasting the downhill sections of the trail. If you were to accidently impact and kill a child at a speed greater than the restricted speed set by the manufacturer of your bicycle, you would be sued into oblivion in court, and rightly so, for your selfish, reckless behavior! This will result in massive trail closures and the banning of all E-bikes!

So the next time you are out on the trail, just remember this little rhyme that I use to ensure everyone has a safe and responsible E-biking experience:
"9.63 + a small fee = a happy and safe E-bike ride for you and me".

If it saves one child's life or keeps one trail open, it's worth it! And not agreeing with me just means you're selfish.

Last edited:

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
@Churchill is that a genuine post ?
Have you got the speed right 9.63km/h
A mobility scooter goes faster.
Manual wheelchairs and Class 2 vehicles are those with an upper speed limit of 4 mph (6 km/h) and are designed to be used on pavements. Class 3 vehicles are those with an upper speed limit of 8 mph (12 km/h) and are equipped to be used on the road as well as the pavement.

I seriously don’t think you should even have an ebike dude

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles