Hacking Levo's power limit when Battery is under 30%

kmote biker

Aug 12, 2018
Mex
Hacking the speed limit was easy, but does anyone know if there is a way to hack the batteries restrictions to when it tis under 30%??
When the battery is under 30% the power either turns off or it decreases to a very low percentage. I would like to have my desire amount of power until the batterie is 0%
Can any one help???

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Believe me, you really do not want to do that. Discharging lithium chemistry batteries to 0% kills cycle life, increases internal resistance (reducing their ability to deliver high currents, and therefore power) and is an extremely expensive one way journey. There are very good reasons why the software is designed the way it is; best to leave it that way.

kmote biker

Aug 12, 2018
Mex
Believe me, you really do not want to do that. Discharging lithium chemistry batteries to 0% kills cycle life, increases internal resistance (reducing their ability to deliver high currents, and therefore power) and is an extremely expensive one way journey. There are very good reasons why the software is designed the way it is; best to leave it that way.
Thank you for your comments

Thank you for answering. I was asking because with other brands for example Cube, the power is normal / constant till the end. With the levo it is just not normal, it turns off then it gives some power then it turns off again. Its weird.

I could understand a power output of around 20% even 10%, but its not the case. When the battery hits les than 30% it just has a random behavior. It shots down at any time, then it gives some power again, I think around 15% and then off again. It should give a constant power or in other case Levo should mark differently its battery life, being 0-100% with its actual 30%-100%.

It is very confusing to see 40% left, when you really have only 10% left.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Sounds very strange. Have you tried taking it back to your local Specialized dealer for a check up? I have no first hand experience of a Levo, but it does not sound like it should be behaving like that.

kmote biker

Aug 12, 2018
Mex
Sounds very strange. Have you tried taking it back to your local Specialized dealer for a check up? I have no first hand experience of a Levo, but it does not sound like it should be behaving like that.
a lot of my friends have a levo and it does the exact same thing.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
My kenevo has done this when I was at 80% battery, never got to the bottom of it, but assumed it was a connection issue not throttling

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
neither does mine
Same here, I have no degradation on any mode right up to the point where the battery is flashing red on the last very last battery bar indicator.

How old is the bike? Sounds like it may be a ‘return to dealer’ issue if no one can help here?

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Sounds not normal to me, but i just did 5 reloads of my battery yet. You do have the x.23 update, yes?

What i've noticed is exactly what's explained in the manual - there's a power reduction on 10%, before that i have the full 100%.

1534162067171.png

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
So it seems to be happening to hacked batteries or ones using the BLEVO app
Another ringing endorsement not to mess with system software Specialized spent millions developing.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
So it seems to be happening to hacked batteries or ones using the BLEVO app
Another ringing endorsement not to mess with system software Specialized spent millions developing.

Nope, the time mine was cutting in and out was before I had ever connected to it. It wasn't hacked or blevo'd or even changed with mission control, apart from the dealer, noone had touched it (it worked so well out the box I didn't get around to pairing it for a couple of months).

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Nope, the time mine was cutting in and out was before I had ever connected to it. It wasn't hacked or blevo'd or even changed with mission control, apart from the dealer, noone had touched it (it worked so well out the box I didn't get around to pairing it for a couple of months).
Did you get your battery warrantied?

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Nah, it fixed itself the next time I rode and has been fine since. I suspect it may be a heat issue, it happened on a very hot day, in 100% turbo mode, when I was being lazy and letting the bike do the work.

SLOTownLevo

Sep 19, 2020
San Luis Obispo
Hi all, I’m experiencing the exact same issue with my 2016 Levo. Bike has just under 400 miles and the battery only has16 cycles, yet has dropped to 90% health. The past two charge cycles when the battery gets to 20 or so percent, it stops supply power. Last night it was 26% remaining and the previous charge cycle the battery had 21% remaining. Mission Control reports all data and no faults.

I’ve let the charger on as suggested for the this latest charge cycle. My local LBS hasn’t been very supportive in the times I’ve needed other support (rubber battery switch cover has gone missing).

Has anymore information as to a cause/cure for this issue come to light for anyone?

Thanks all.
Be well!
Mark

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Thank you for your comments

Thank you for answering. I was asking because with other brands for example Cube, the power is normal / constant till the end. With the levo it is just not normal, it turns off then it gives some power then it turns off again. Its weird.

I could understand a power output of around 20% even 10%, but its not the case. When the battery hits les than 30% it just has a random behavior. It shots down at any time, then it gives some power again, I think around 15% and then off again. It should give a constant power or in other case Levo should mark differently its battery life, being 0-100% with its actual 30%-100%.

It is very confusing to see 40% left, when you really have only 10% left.

Sounds like you have a cell or group of cells that are reaching their bottom threshold before the others. In other words you have a weak cell or cells. The behaviour you describe sounds like large voltage drop when the motor is trying to pull amps from the battery cells. One or more of those cells are unable to provide whats needed which will cause a strain on your voltage and make the pre programmed limiter kick in.
EDIT: just realised the post I quoted was from two years ago?

Last edited:

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Hi all, I’m experiencing the exact same issue with my 2016 Levo. Bike has just under 400 miles and the battery only has16 cycles, yet has dropped to 90% health. The past two charge cycles when the battery gets to 20 or so percent, it stops supply power. Last night it was 26% remaining and the previous charge cycle the battery had 21% remaining. Mission Control reports all data and no faults.

I’ve let the charger on as suggested for the this latest charge cycle. My local LBS hasn’t been very supportive in the times I’ve needed other support (rubber battery switch cover has gone missing).

Has anymore information as to a cause/cure for this issue come to light for anyone?

Thanks all.
Be well!
Mark
Similar to what I've described above.. you've got a weak cell or a 'leaky' 'drifting' cell that the battery monitoring system is unable to balance back into line with the rest of the cells. It can be one cell alone which will effect a whole parallel group. Either that or your BMS is not working properly

SLOTownLevo

Sep 19, 2020
San Luis Obispo
Similar to what I've described above.. you've got a weak cell or a 'leaky' 'drifting' cell that the battery monitoring system is unable to balance back into line with the rest of the cells. It can be one cell alone which will effect a whole parallel group. Either that or your BMS is not working properly

Hi, thanks for your input. I have to agree that it’s likely an imbalance of power amongst the cells in the pack.

I don’t get how my current battery with only 16 cycles is at 90% health. I have a secondary battery that has 66 cycles and it is also at 90% health. I haven’t tried running the secondary battery down to the 20% mark just yet, as I recently purchased the secondary battery as used.

I wonder if anybody is rebuilding/refurbishing these packs yet?

Thanks!
Mark

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles