2017 Turbo Levo battery problem when 30% left?

Jack66

Oct 20, 2019
Finland
Hi, I am new here. I have a 2017 Turbo Levo. My problem is a faulty battery? or motor? or even both? as the battery reaches 30% level motor will stop assistance even 3 leds are green? I have a spare battery which I tried and it will do the same, no assistance when the charge is 30% or less?? any idea what could cause this? Mission control: charge cycles 83, battery health 90% Firmware: 4.17.1

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Hi @Jack66. Sorry to hear this - couple of thoughts that might help you.

Firstly, charge the battery up and leave it connected to the charger overnight. The last part of charging is when all of the individual cells in the battery individually balance so that they discharge at exactly the same rate whilst you're riding. As an example, if you regularly take the battery off the charger before it fully charges or immediately when it hits 100% then this could be the issue.

If this doesn't help, take the batteries to your retailer and ask them to check both batteries using our retailer battery diagnostic software. They should know what this is but we'll gladly help them out if they're not sure.

Our diagnostic tool will check your batteries for faults - typically if a battery fails regularly in the way you're describing above and a long charge doesn't solve it, then it may have an individual cell with a voltage imbalance. Get your retailer to speak to their local Specialized Rider Care/Market Service team if so.

Pablo63

Aug 26, 2020
BARCELONA
I have a similar problem, sometimes when batter reaches 30% , motor does not assist. or if you are walking side by side with the bike, with the walking assist button pressed ( does not matter if battiery is whatever % full or empty) , motor does not assist. Normally, I just set off the system and re-start it, and it continues working and giving assistance. Can you help ??

SLOTownLevo

Sep 19, 2020
San Luis Obispo
Hi, I am new here. I have a 2017 Turbo Levo. My problem is a faulty battery? or motor? or even both? as the battery reaches 30% level motor will stop assistance even 3 leds are green? I have a spare battery which I tried and it will do the same, no assistance when the charge is 30% or less?? any idea what could cause this? Mission control: charge cycles 83, battery health 90% Firmware: 4.17.1

Hi all, I’m experiencing the exact same issue with my 2016 Levo. Bike has just under 400 miles and the battery only has16 cycles, yet has dropped to 90% health. The past two charge cycles when the battery gets to 20 or so percent, it stops supply power. Last night it was 26% remaining and the previous charge cycle the battery had 21% remaining. Mission Control reports all data and no faults.

I’ve let the charger on as suggested for the this latest charge cycle. My local LBS hasn’t been very supportive in the times I’ve needed other support (rubber battery switch cover has gone missing).

@Specialized Rider Care is there anymore information as to a cause/cure for this issue?

Thanks all.
Be well!
Mark

SLOTownLevo

Sep 19, 2020
San Luis Obispo
I have a similar problem, sometimes when batter reaches 30% , motor does not assist. or if you are walking side by side with the bike, with the walking assist button pressed ( does not matter if battiery is whatever % full or empty) , motor does not assist. Normally, I just set off the system and re-start it, and it continues working and giving assistance. Can you help ??

Hi, I’ve heard some report that moving the bike backwards engages walk assist. I believe it has something to do with where the magnet is at the time.

Have you gotten any more info as to a fix for the battery cutting out at 30%? Even when I turn my bike on and off I still get nothing once then battery drops below 30% or so.

Thanks,
Mark

krisrayner

May 20, 2019
California
Software update fixed a similar problem on my wifes Levo. Assist would cut out under 30% charge, but only when on Trail or Turbo. It still worked on Eco, but would cut out on occasion. A firmware update fixed it. I think it changed the low voltage cut off point.

E-rik

May 16, 2020
Brussels area
Software update fixed a similar problem on my wifes Levo. Assist would cut out under 30% charge, but only when on Trail or Turbo. It still worked on Eco, but would cut out on occasion. A firmware update fixed it. I think it changed the low voltage cut off point.
Hi , I have the same issue between 20 and 30% no more assistance but in all modes . Software update by whom? by LEVO dealer on the battery pack itself or .. Thank you for providing details.
Cheers
Erik

krisrayner

May 20, 2019
California
Hi , I have the same issue between 20 and 30% no more assistance but in all modes . Software update by whom? by LEVO dealer on the battery pack itself or .. Thank you for providing details.
Cheers
Erik
Specialized dealer did the update. If it’s affecting all 3 modes it might be a different issue than the software. You should be able to look at what firmware level you have currently to tell

SLOTownLevo

Sep 19, 2020
San Luis Obispo
Cheers
Erik

Hi, I found that both my batteries were up to date with the latest firmware 2.17 (Mission Control App denotes is at A.17.1) for a 504wh battery. The batteries can be updated independently of the bike. My battery was found to have cells out of balance (see the included screen shot of the dealer's software interface). I learned that my particular 2016 battery was known to have this issue, and thus my Specialized retailer was able to offer me 40% a replacement battery even though it's 4 years old. Still not cheap, yet without a battery the bike wouldn't be much fun. The replacement battery is on backorder until November. I was lucky enough to have purchased a used battery some months ago, so I am able to still ride. I am not seeing any used batteries for sale right now in the U.S.

What year is the battery you're having issues with?

This is a link to a post I started regarding the subject. There's a YouTube video I posted there that shows the internals of the battery.

Let us know what you find out.

Be well,
Mark

Levo Battery Diagnosis.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles