Hacking ! Why ?

Churchill

Jul 15, 2018
Idaho
@Churchill is that a genuine post ?
Have you got the speed right 9.63km/h
A mobility scooter goes faster.
Manual wheelchairs and Class 2 vehicles are those with an upper speed limit of 4 mph (6 km/h) and are designed to be used on pavements. Class 3 vehicles are those with an upper speed limit of 8 mph (12 km/h) and are equipped to be used on the road as well as the pavement.

I seriously don’t think you should even have an ebike dude
Too late! I've got a de-restricted Kenevo, and I'm loving it!

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
@Churchill is that a genuine post ?
Have you got the speed right 9.63km/h
A mobility scooter goes faster.
Manual wheelchairs and Class 2 vehicles are those with an upper speed limit of 4 mph (6 km/h) and are designed to be used on pavements. Class 3 vehicles are those with an upper speed limit of 8 mph (12 km/h) and are equipped to be used on the road as well as the pavement.

I seriously don’t think you should even have an ebike dude
I think you nailed it dude only pensioners and small children should be able to go faster than 8kph because they are much more aware than your average ebiker!

I will see myself out......

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
You'd have to be pretty gullible to believe Churchill's post. I read the first line, saw the sarcasm, and then skipped the rest lol

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I just went to a Bosch certification class today.
There were some interesting discussions on “tampering” and “tampering detection”

It seems European regulations have made the drivetrain manufacturers responsible for detecting whether or not the system has been tampered with. The new updates to the Bosch diagnostic tool went into effect today and tampering detection is now integrated.

By July 2019, all Ebike manufacturers of all drivetrains will have Ebike software that will not only detect tampering, but the system will enter a “safe mode” and it will go really really slow.

You’ll then have to take it back to the dealer to take it out of safe mode. You’ll then have to sign documentation agreeing never to do it again.

This is probably why BLEvo isn’t working on the new Levos. If Specialized and Bosch are doing it everyone else will be doing it too.

This is the worst news possible.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
By July 2019, all Ebike manufacturers of all drivetrains will have Ebike software that will not only detect tampering, but the system will enter a “safe mode” and it will go really really slow.
Surely the bikes firmware will have to be updated for this to work. So if you didnt update your bikes firmware you might still be ok?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Probably only applies to new bikes. But you're noone of you don't have the latest ebike, so everyone will upgrade

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
There were some interesting discussions on “tampering” and “tampering detection”

It seems European regulations have made the drivetrain manufacturers responsible for detecting whether or not the system has been tampered with. The new updates to the Bosch diagnostic tool went into effect today and tampering detection is now integrated.

You’ll then have to take it back to the dealer to take it out of safe mode. You’ll then have to sign documentation agreeing never to do it again.

This is probably why BLEvo isn’t working on the new Levos. If Specialized and Bosch are doing it everyone else will be doing it too.

This will be the emtb killer.. if true.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
This seems draconian and completely out of proportion, its not like there have been hundreds of accidents involving deresticted ebikes.
Customers have been redistricting their, motorcycles and cars for years with no such interaction from the manufacters.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I reckon the proportion of owners who derestrict their bikes is tiny if you compare it to overall e-bike ownership.

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
I reckon the majority who use electric bikes to commute derestrict and a fair few of the etmb community also derestrict. It's likely ebike sales will be hit hard with such draconian measures. May as well just buy a cheaper analogue bike

D

Deleted member 1275

While I agree that these measures are draconian, I dont think that it will hurt ebike or eMTB sales much at all. I know a few guys who commute around london a lot on their ebikes and until I asked them about derestricting they didnt even know that you could! I mean technically not the legalities of doing so.

For the record I think that emtbs are better without the restriction, particularly with certain motor systems.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I reckon the majority who use electric bikes to commute derestrict and a fair few of the etmb community also derestrict. It's likely ebike sales will be hit hard with such draconian measures. May as well just buy a cheaper analogue bike

Start a poll and see? I realise this is possibly a wierd sub section of the market and many people ride their emtb without every needing to talk about it on the Internet, but it would be fun to see the percentage of users that have derestricted their bikes.

There's still a big difference between a restricted ebike and a regular bike.

The other factor is look at the auto industry remapping/chip tuning industry, almost none is officially sanctioned and it's big business, maybe the same thing will happen to ebikes. Roll on the day when there's open source software to tweak my bike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Anyone that thought Churchill's post #27 was serious may be in need of a humour transplant (or maybe they were just having a bad day).
For the avoidance of doubt, I don't know the guy (or person born as female currently identifying as male).

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Start a poll and see? I realise this is possibly a wierd sub section of the market and many people ride their emtb without every needing to talk about it on the Internet, but it would be fun to see the percentage of users that have derestricted their bikes.

There's still a big difference between a restricted ebike and a regular bike.

The other factor is look at the auto industry remapping/chip tuning industry, almost none is officially sanctioned and it's big business, maybe the same thing will happen to ebikes. Roll on the day when there's open source software to tweak my bike.
A poll would be interesting but then how many are gonna be honest about derestricting their bikes? I think many have at least derestricted just out of curiosity to see how much faster they could go and to get rid of the stupid cut off at 15mph.

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
@steve_sordy I will openly admit I believed the post
Have you seen some of the comments to do with derestrictions anything is possible.
And I can assure you I don’t need a humour transplant either dude

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK

Sounds like a challenge of the open source community. I suspect they'll be able to knock up "adjusted" firmwares for the big brand motors that get by the security within months if they believe there is a value there, or even just for the challenge. Based on the gaffes the manufacturers have made with their apps and buetooth upgrades I severely doubt they have implemented world class security without any back doors.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@steve_sordy I will openly admit I believed the post
Have you seen some of the comments to do with derestrictions anything is possible.
And I can assure you I don’t need a humour transplant either dude

No I have not been following threads on derestricting, as for the moment it is not on my horizon.
I do hope that my comment about a humour transplant did not upset you more than just a little bit. I'm sure you were just having a bad day. On some of my days when I was working for a living, things were so bad that even the boss doing a pratfall with a full cup of coffee wasn't funny! :LOL:

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
No offence taken at all dude I’m a builder so piss taken is the norm for me daily ?
I was just letting you know I wasn’t having a bad day and I didn’t need a humour transplant. I was stating that nothing shocks me on the derestriction topic
It’s a good fun on here dude piss take and all ??

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Because they are fun - and like any other bike people modify them to suit there needs - "hacking" an ebike, which doesn't necessarily mean derestricting it, is something a lot of people do to get it riding how they want - its no different to changing components and set up on the rest of the bike, and its something that makes sense, tuning the motor to perform how you want is the same reasoning as changing your gearing to suit you riding.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles