Fox 38 Knocking sound

Simonp3

Aug 21, 2020
Denmark
Not headstock bearings loose ?
Nope. Tried tightening the headset like, a lot. Also slightly over tightened the wheel axle. Nothing helped. When I hold my hand on the black outer legs, I can feel the knocking on the inside of the fork.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Talk to Fox, or whoever you bought the forks from. It is always unwise to ride a bike with a new or odd noise until you have found out what it is. It may be nothing, but it could be something. :unsure: :eek:

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
If this was me (and its not) I would:-

Remove fork from frame.
-Service headset (or even replace)
-Lower leg service on the shock, torque lower bolts to factory spec
-Refit headset and grease
-refit fork

Ride.... I bet this will fix your issue as it will cover a number of variables.

There is a known issue where the stanchion meet the crown where some forks start to creak (not knock), preventive maintenance for this is to work some Loctite into the seal with fork upside down and wait until it sets. This is what Fox do (but they obviously remove the stanchions to add the Loctite).

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
If this was me (and its not) I would:-

Remove fork from frame.
-Service headset (or even replace)
-Lower leg service on the shock, torque lower bolts to factory spec
-Refit headset and grease
-refit fork

Ride.... I bet this will fix your issue as it will cover a number of variables.

There is a known issue where the stanchion meet the crown where some forks start to creak (not knock), preventive maintenance for this is to work some Loctite into the seal with fork upside down and wait until it sets. This is what Fox do (but they obviously remove the stanchions to add the Loctite).
If this was me , the bike ridden 20kms ? Straight back to the shop!
If it is something internal in the fork , that's clearly poor QA and should not be the buyers problem.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
If it is something internal in the fork , that's clearly poor QA and should not be the buyers problem.

I agree here , if the fork is new it should go back to the shop asap. If you open up the fork maybe the shop denies to give you a new one so dont open it.

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
If not the headset or wheel, it sounds like play in the fork bushings to me.

Do you get the same play with the wheel straight and using front brake to rock it forwards and backwards?

Simonp3

Aug 21, 2020
Denmark
If not the headset or wheel, it sounds like play in the fork bushings to me.

Do you get the same play with the wheel straight and using front brake to rock it forwards and backwards?
I only get play, when I turn the fork 90 degrees. I disassembled the headset and greased it up, I also tried without the brake caliper. It is definitely the fork..

Simonp3

Aug 21, 2020
Denmark
It's not your problem, it's the shop's problem. Do not open the fork, just do as said above, take the fork back to the shop.
Only problem is that I bought it online, so it's quite a hassle, but I have contacted Fox, and the online shop.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Only problem is that I bought it online, so it's quite a hassle, but I have contacted Fox, and the online shop.
If you bought it online you will have EU distance selling laws to protect your purchase, also credit card protection. The forks are defective so get a refund and start again. The longer you leave it the potentially messier everything gets.

Simonp3

Aug 21, 2020
Denmark
If you bought it online you will have EU distance selling laws to protect your purchase, also credit card protection. The forks are defective so get a refund and start again. The longer you leave it the potentially messier everything gets.
Yeah, i know. Altough, the fork was on the bike i bought online, so i have contacted both fox, and the dealership.

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Agreed to a certain extent but that could be days/weeks off the trail and the advice I gave would take 30 mins.

I always drop the lowers and slightly more as Fox use too much grease which impacts on harshness.

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
I only get play, when I turn the fork 90 degrees. I disassembled the headset and greased it up, I also tried without the brake caliper. It is definitely the fork..
That sounds to me like it could also be the hub brought into the equation that needs to be ruled out.

Put it in a stand. Remove the wheel and get someone to hold the frame whilst you check for play at 90 degrees and check it’s still there with no wheel.

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
Agreed to a certain extent but that could be days/weeks off the trail and the advice I gave would take 30 mins.

I always drop the lowers and slightly more as Fox use too much grease which impacts on harshness.
Yeah but one thing worse than buying a new bike and not getting to ride it until a warranty issue is corrected is voiding warranty by touching the problem yourself.

Simonp3

Aug 21, 2020
Denmark
So i got a hold of my mates Mondraker Dusk R, also brand new. He's got a Fox 36 Fit4 installed. It does the same thing!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles