Lyrik forks damping problem

jezza

Feb 12, 2023
Somerset
I've just bought some (second hand but hardly used).rockshox lyrik forks ...swapped them out for my rockshox 35 gold.
Went for a ride today and they have some trouble damping ...not sure how to describe it ...but it feels like the front wheel bearings have loads of play in them (which they don't).played with rebound at first as I thought it was kind of topping out ...that didn't really help.....couple of clicks of compression helped a bit but still evident...didn't make much difference with all compression on ....it's the basic damper ..not the one with high speed damping ...so I was wondering if that was the problem but my 35 golds didn't do this and they have the same damper ....it almost feels like there isn't enough oil in the damper ....

Anyone have any ideas apart from upgrading the damper

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Who said that they were "hardy used"?

Even if you accept the description as an honest one, don't assume that they don't need a service or some basic attention.

I rode for years on bikes without high-speed damping on either compression or rebound and never had your problem.

jezza

Feb 12, 2023
Somerset
Who said that they were "hardy used"?

Even if you accept the description as an honest one, don't assume that they don't need a service or some basic attention.

I rode for years on bikes without high-speed damping on either compression or rebound and never had your problem.
Yeah I see what you're saying ...but you could physically see they hadn't done much ... they didn't have a mark on them anywhere so honestly looked like they had done no work

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Could it be the stantion bushings which have gone? If you hold the front brake on and rock the bike do you get any movement in the forks?

jezza

Feb 12, 2023
Somerset
Ok ....I think I have solved the problem .......like I said above in my post ..,.it feels like the front wheel bearings are loose ....they aren't .....it also has the same feeling as the headset a little loose 🤣🙈 ,...so now that's nipped up tighter hopefully it wil be sorted .

I'm such a t**t

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It was a good job that you were listening to the bike and did something about it, or you would have had big problems with the headset/headtube area.

Best tip I can give re headset tightening is to turn the bike upside down and lever on the wheel. You will notice any looseness a lot more easily.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles