Will a lyrik damper fit into a pike fork?

DaveNewing

Feb 3, 2020
UK
Hi everyone. My damper has blown in my 2020 pike ultimate fork. I have a spare rc damper unit from a 2020 lyrik and wondered if it would fit and work whilst the pike damper is away being repaired.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Check the Rockshox spare parts catalogue to see if it will fit.

https://www.sram.com/globalassets/d...catalog/2023-rockshox-spare-parts-catalog.pdf

Page 3 will give you the page number of your Lyric damper. Then go to the Pike section to see if the same part number is a listed spare for a Pike fork. Good luck! :)

Edit: I had the link for this catalogue from when I did an upgrade a few years ago. I have just noticed this one is 2023. Check the year numbers of your Lyrik and Pike forks, just in case the part numbers have changed.

DaveNewing

Feb 3, 2020
UK
Check the Rockshox spare parts catalogue to see if it will fit.

https://www.sram.com/globalassets/d...catalog/2023-rockshox-spare-parts-catalog.pdf

Page 3 will give you the page number of your Lyric damper. Then go to the Pike section to see if the same part number is a listed spare for a Pike fork. Good luck! :)

Edit: I had the link for this catalogue from when I did an upgrade a few years ago. I have just noticed this one is 2023. Check the year numbers of your Lyrik and Pike forks, just in case the part numbers have changed.
Thanks for the advice. The parts catalogue only seems to give part numbers for damper unit upgrades, and not the original damper units. My lyrik damper is from a select fork and therefore the catalogue doesn't give it a part number.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Would this help you in relation to part numbers

Screenshot_20231229_180848_Chrome.jpg

DaveNewing

Feb 3, 2020
UK
Thanks for the info. The air shafts are cross compatable between lyrik and pike, but I don't know if the damper units are the same.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Better way to do it is to go to rockshox trailhead, put in your fork serial number & click on the upgrade kits tab at the bottom of the screen. If your damper is listed, you're golden. Generally, RS internals are interchangeable but not across the board. You're right to check.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Thanks for the info. The air shafts are cross compatable between lyrik and pike, but I don't know if the damper units are the same.

Since you already have the parts and the cost is just a few ml of oil, why not pull it apart and have a look. If the external dimensions are the same, and the travel will work, then go ahead.

You can also call Rockshox. A while back I wanted to play switchy-changy, and it seemed to make sense. Since I was shelling out cash for a few new parts, I spoke with one of their tech guys. He informed me that while my plan would work on the newest forks, mine was a year older and the internal dimensions were different. For the price of a phone call, I saved money on parts that I wouldn't have been able to use.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I'm not sure, hence the "think". Pike and Lyric chassis certainly used to be different.
Yeah me neither. I know for sure the Yari & Lyrik are the same chassis & have turned a couple of Yaris into Lyriks by swapping dampers for the cheap win & I 'm fairly sure the Pike is a different chassis from those two. I understood the 35 was built to be stand alone with different diameters & thread pitches etc so as not to be upgradeable which has been suggested a few times was a cynical move by RS. Don't like the fork? Have to buy a new one etc.

DaveNewing

Feb 3, 2020
UK
Turns out a lyrik damper unit will fit into a pike, but it's about 20mm longer than a pike damper. I'm not going to tempt fate in case the extra 20mm bottoms out at extreme travel. I'll have to send the fork off to tf tuned for a service/repair.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Turns out a lyrik damper unit will fit into a pike, but it's about 20mm longer than a pike damper. I'm not going to tempt fate in case the extra 20mm bottoms out at extreme travel. I'll have to send the fork off to tf tuned for a service/repair.
Bummer! :(

Good info though, how did you find out?

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
What’s the difference in travel between the two forks? 10mm more on the Pike might be enough to protect the damper from over compressing at full compression

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
The same damper is frequently used in forks of differing lengths. Just because a damper is shorter or longer does not mean it's incorrect. You need to measure both the damper and the fork when they are fully compressed and fully extended. It's simple.

tape-measure.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You also need to allow for the additional travel that is possible in a Lyric chassis but not a Pike Chassis.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles