Fed up of sram shifting xt derailer will it work ?

Dano78

Dec 3, 2019
Uk
Hi guys think I've had enough of sram shifting , I'm from the uk and often get out on muddy rides , I'm having issue with my sram gx 1x12 eagle group set it's so easy for it to start playing up and yes I've tightened the cable tension, does anyone know if I can slap a shimano xt rederailler on without having to replace the full groupset thanks

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
12-speed anything requires more accurate shifting than lower speeds, obviously. Have you checked that the mech hanger is properly aligned. The mech arm is longer and hangs down lower and it more likely to get knocked out of alignment. I had frequent problems with hard to fix shifting until I bought a mech hanger alignment tool and spent the time to get the alignment spot on. I had no further problems. Well, not until the next time I knocked the mech arm. But that is a risk with any 12-speed.

Dano78

Dec 3, 2019
Uk
12-speed anything requires more accurate shifting than lower speeds, obviously. Have you checked that the mech hanger is properly aligned. The mech arm is longer and hangs down lower and it more likely to get knocked out of alignment. I had frequent problems with hard to fix shifting until I bought a mech hanger alignment tool and spent the time to get the alignment spot on. I had no further problems. Well, not until the next time I knocked the mech arm. But that is a risk with any 12-speed.
It's not shifting really bad to be honest just clicking abit but I've had it indexed a week or so ago just fed up off taking it back to the shop was thinking xt rearderailler but it abit better

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes . the 12 speeds are interchangeable.
although mixing components can work well enough. Shimano and Sram 12 speed mtb groups do not actually use the same cassette sprocket spacing.
Srams sprockets are 3.65mm spaced, Shimanos 3.55mm
it's close enough that it'll work. But it's not going to be as precise across the whole cassette. So unless you have good reason not to, stick with one manufacturer or the other for your 12 speed cassette, chain, mech and shifter for the best shifting performance.
Each manufacturers cassette sprocket and chain plate profiles are carefully designed to shift cleanly and efficiently together too so mixing chains and cassettes from different brands will also reduce shifting performance.

If you're mixing and matching 12 speed drivetrain components because of running costs on an Emtb you'd be wise to buy a new freehub and ditch 12 speed sram entirely and go with Shimano 12, 11speed or even 10

schleprx7

Aug 7, 2020
SF Bay Area
After bending 2 SRAM NX 12 speed derailleurs in 3 months I've swapped out the rear derailleur for and XT RD-M8100 12 speed and it's been working flawlessly with my SRAM NX shifter, cassette, chain ring and chain. It's recommended to run the SRAM Chain vs Shimano which are slightly narrower.

This video convinced me to make the swap:
Good luck

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Buys an $8k Yeti.
too tight to run matching drivetrain components. :unsure:

NX is SRAM's second from the bottom of the range 12 speed derailleur.
XT is Shimanos second highest
They're not comparible. for good reason.

schleprx7

Aug 7, 2020
SF Bay Area
Buys an $8k Yeti.
too tight to run matching drivetrain components. :unsure:

NX is SRAM's second from the bottom of the range 12 speed derailleur.
XT is Shimanos second highest
They're not comparible. for good reason.

Cost wise NX and XT are comparable. XT ~$120 and NX ~$107.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Even more reason to run full Shimano. Shimanos complete 12 speed range of components is a lot cheaper than SRAMs at the same level in the range.

Why fuck about with mixing drivetrain components you can "say" run perfectly well together. when they actually don't?
(if mixed. Indexing is half a mm out at each extreme of the cassette)

Dano78

Dec 3, 2019
Uk
After bending 2 SRAM NX 12 speed derailleurs in 3 months I've swapped out the rear derailleur for and XT RD-M8100 12 speed and it's been working flawlessly with my SRAM NX shifter, cassette, chain ring and chain. It's recommended to run the SRAM Chain vs Shimano which are slightly narrower.

This video convinced me to make the swap:
Good luck
Thanks for the feed back , I've decided to stink with sram for now,but once the cassette and chain wear out I think I'll switch I can get a slx group set for around £250 and a free hub change for around 40 pounds according to hunt wheels as I've just ordered a set of e mtb wide wheelset

schleprx7

Aug 7, 2020
SF Bay Area
Even more reason to run full Shimano. Shimanos complete 12 speed range of components is a lot cheaper than SRAMs at the same level in the range.

Why fuck about with mixing drivetrain components you can "say" run perfectly well together. when they actually don't?
(if mixed. Indexing is half a mm out at each extreme of the cassette)

Chill Gary, the OP original question wasn't can I completely change over from SRAM to Shimano. Which is obviously yes.

He asked if you can run a shimano rear derailleur with the SRAM drivetrain and the answer is yes you can. They run perfectly together as the linked video shows. Indexing not an issue since I've retained the NX shifter. I've been running the combo for 4 months now with over 700 miles without issue. The combo shifts better than my original SRAM NX drive train.

My original plan was to switch to all Shimano, which would require a new microspline freehub, cassette, chain, chainring, shifter in addition to the rear derailleur. The microspline freehubs weren't available for my hub at the time so I decided to run the mixed drivetrain.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
How about a SRAM GX 12 speed with one sprocket left off ?

I was replacing some broken spokes . Took off the cassette . When I went to put it back on I dropped the cassette ,and spacers and sprockets went all over the house . I collected them up and rebuilt the cassette and put the tyre and brake rotor back on . Had some trouble getting the tyre to seal again had to pump it up more than once .
Morning dawns and I throw the wheel in the car and off to the trails . Take the bike out of the car and decide to lube the chain . Chain falls off the high gear . WTF !? I didn`t adust any indexing on the gears ? Oh well no time to fck about . The group is ready to go . So I adjust the limit screw and soldier on .
Got back from the ride and decided to check the gears . I have a 27.5 wheel with a GX 12 spd as well and though might put it on and check the mullet set up on the work stand . I then thought to compare the two cassettes . Hmmmm ! Seems this one is different ? 9-10 -11 ... WTF where is the 12 th ? Turns out it was under my bed hiding .All`s well that ends well they say . LOL .

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
How about a SRAM GX 12 speed with one sprocket left off ?

I was replacing some broken spokes . Took off the cassette . When I went to put it back on I dropped the cassette ,and spacers and sprockets went all over the house . I collected them up and rebuilt the cassette and put the tyre and brake rotor back on . Had some trouble getting the tyre to seal again had to pump it up more than once .
Morning dawns and I throw the wheel in the car and off to the trails . Take the bike out of the car and decide to lube the chain . Chain falls off the high gear . WTF !? I didn`t adust any indexing on the gears ? Oh well no time to fck about . The group is ready to go . So I adjust the limit screw and soldier on .
Got back from the ride and decided to check the gears . I have a 27.5 wheel with a GX 12 spd as well and though might put it on and check the mullet set up on the work stand . I then thought to compare the two cassettes . Hmmmm ! Seems this one is different ? 9-10 -11 ... WTF where is the 12 th ? Turns out it was under my bed hiding .All`s well that ends well they say . LOL .

Imagine what your significant other would think if they found that sprocket under the bed

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
I think I'll switch I can get a slx group set for around £250 and a free hub change for around 40 pounds according to hunt wheels as I've just ordered a set of e mtb wide wheelset

I have always had XT and moved to SLX12 from XT11. I am so impressed with it: fit and forget, low wear, superb shifting. I can't really see the point of XT now.

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
Wondering why I need a 12 speed cassette when I double click everything?
Also - my Eagle NX was great for first 1000km or so. Then it became a PITA.
Realised the hanger was bent, recalibrated and adjusted from scratch and it's been flawless since.(start from releasing and reaffixing the cable)

veryoldfart

Oct 1, 2020
Suffolk
I may be a luddite, but.....

I ran 1*12 on a santa cruz bronson v3- because I needed every bit of assistance to get up things and it was unassisted ie just my leg muscle power.

But, now I have been on my turbo levo for two years with shimano 1*11, I ask myself- why bother with 1*12?

Given the additional torque with a motor, you need the strongest chain etc, plus I fear (but do not know) that the shimano micro spline on a 1*12 might also be susceptible to torque damage??

I run an 11 speed 11-46 shimano cassette if I am tackling really steep stuff or an 11-42 for normal riding.

BTW, I have hardly ever used turbo mode and when I have, its only been for a few seconds, so maybe that why my motor seems ok??

Bigbarper

Jul 10, 2018
Horsham, West Sussex.

Have to second this comment.......

I recently started using a hanger alignment tool that was given to me ages ago by a buddy who emigrated ( loads of how to's on YTube ) and was somewhat surprised by how misaligned the hanger was as it looked fine to the 'eye' and had not taken a big knock recently, however the real surprise was just how much the shifting improved - back to perfect indexing and quick slick gear changes - in all a complete revelation, try it!!

I now do a realignment as part of regular maintenance every six months or so or when the shifting goes off.

Good Luck.

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
I may be a luddite, but.....

I ran 1*12 on a santa cruz bronson v3- because I needed every bit of assistance to get up things and it was unassisted ie just my leg muscle power.

But, now I have been on my turbo levo for two years with shimano 1*11, I ask myself- why bother with 1*12?

Given the additional torque with a motor, you need the strongest chain etc, plus I fear (but do not know) that the shimano micro spline on a 1*12 might also be susceptible to torque damage??

I run an 11 speed 11-46 shimano cassette if I am tackling really steep stuff or an 11-42 for normal riding.

BTW, I have hardly ever used turbo mode and when I have, its only been for a few seconds, so maybe that why my motor seems ok??

Yes sure 11 is plenty but if you insist on Shimano their 12 speed stuff is vastly superior to their 11 speed system IME and irrespective of the number of gears. In fact it's as good as their 10 speed system in terms of shift quality. 11 Shimano was just an outlier for me in its mediocrity.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles