SRAM GX vs Shimano XT

Tomac boy

Nov 24, 2022
Gold Coast aus
In my experience the old Sram nx and GX were certainly rubbish(fragile), however x0 were really solid. The current GX is trickledown so shares a lot with the older x0, so would recommend.

The current xt is really great performance, but the derailleur is very fragile and doesn’t perform after sone minor impacts I’ve gone through 5 of them in 2 years. Cassettes do wear fast .

I ended up on GX axs and absolutely love it.

11sp linkglide sounds amazing on paper for reliability, tuneability and life.

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
SRAM (X-SYNC 2 EAGLE CHAINRINGS FOR BOSCH) steel chainring was much more durable than the steel chainring from E13 (E*SPEC DIRECT MOUNT CHAINRING - STEEL). If something had to be changed I would buy a spider to run cheap and more fancy colored chainrings but haven't had real need for that yet and afterall internet reading not sure what really is correct model for Bosch CX 4 gen.

Been running 5000km with GX derailleur and it has always worked without problem as long as:
- The bolt is straight
- The cable is ok
- The derailleur has not been hit to rocks (and even with clear marks it has worked well).

The couple of times I've managed to broke the chain it has been 100% user error as I've changed to lower gear at the same time when climbing uphill with big motor assistance. Nothing will last such abuse.

Despite all this I would like to try Shimano Linkglide but only for curiosity if it's any different. For reference I ride Shimano Saint 10speed in my DH-bike .

My son and I just finished our research on the Spiders. Per a call with Trek, they confirmed a 52 mm to 55 mm chainline for use in my Trek Rail 9.7

Spiders options:
Option 1) Race Face-AL Bosch Gen 4 Spider $25 (52 mm chainline - inside mount chainring) part number F10025. Supposedly comes with chainring bolts. Note - 52 mm chainline works for SRAM (not sure on Shimano see note below)​
Option 2) FSA Spiders Steel for Bosch Gen 4 SKU: 38000411000010 Model: W0147 (53 mm chainline when chain ring on inside), need to order 1X chainring bolts suggest steel bolts​
Option 3) FSA forged AL Spider for Bosch Gen 4 model Sku: 3800372000050 Type W0138 (52 mm) chain line, width of spider at at bolt hole is 3.7 mm - need to order 1x chainring bolts suggest steel bolts​
Option 4) Miranda - I can't find one for sale, but their catalog says they make it.​

If you ever want to try a 12 speed Shimano drivetrain you may want to get the Steel 53 mm FSA spider (hard to find). Bikes that came with the E-thirteen (Shimano bikes) had a recall/technical service bulletin issued (you can read it on the ethirteen site) to install a 1 mm ring spacer between the chainring and the spindle to reduce chains dropping, so the actual chainline with any E-thirteen/shimano direct mount Chainring is 53 mm. I have no idea if you could reuse the Ethirteen 1m spacer with any of the aftermarket spiders. Note - all SRAM bikes run a 52 Sram Xsync 2 direct to bosch gen 4 chainring.

Of note - With any spider you then need to buy 34T 104 BCD Narrow Wide Chainrings. If you are running SRAM you can use any Narrow wide chainrings designed for a 1X (ie no ramps) that is compatible with 11 or 12 speed SRAM or 11 speed Shimano. If you are running SRAM do not use a chainring made for Shimano 12 speed HG as Shimano 12 speed is proprietary (more narrow chain) and does not play so well with SRAM chains.

Installed my Race Face Spider with a 34 T race facer NW 104 BCD ring within .5 mm of chainline on bike using the direct mount SRAM 34 T ring - which I discovered in my bikes case used a 2.5 mm metal spacer to get the chainline to 52 mm.

V

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles