Sram Nx or Shimano xt ?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Does anyone prefer the shifting of the Sram unit over the xt? I've got used to the positive seamless one gear shifting on the Sram over the last 11 months providing its set up correctly its a pleasure.

There's a lot of praise for the Shimano XT system but I've just had my 1st ride on my new bike with Xt, I've set it up properly unlike the shop it was purchased from but I don't like the shifting of more than one gear capabilities :rolleyes:

Is this something to get used to with regards pressure on shift lever or does this only apply to me with regards to preferring the Sram :unsure:

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I've had Shimano STI indexed shifting on my bikes for just about as long as it's been available and have never had any complaints but my two EMTBs both came with SRAM's single click shifting. I now much prefer the SRAM to the vagaries of multi shifting even though I accept that there are times when ripping up through the gears might be useful, but that can also be harmful to your cassette and chain.
The SRAM can be fiddly to set up though.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Noise is the biggest cosmetic difference between SRAM and Shimano as far as I can tell . [ oh and clutches]
They both have very similar ratios . XT Shimano can change more than one gear ? Get a non E bike SRAM NX shifter and shift multiple gears again . [Obviously not under extreme loads ]

Shimano climbs the cassette a little more smoothly . Wears out in the same time frame . Once either is in gear you won`t notice any difference . SRAM can clunk loudly when shifted [especially to higher gears under load ] but still shifts and pedals fine once the clunking is finished .

I was all about Shimano , till I bought a bike with SRAM . Doesn`t diminish my enjoyment or the bikes ability to be ridden any where and every where .

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
You will get used to it. I recall the slx shifter only changes one at a time? Might be worth investigating if it bothers you.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
You will get used to it. I recall the slx shifter only changes one at a time? Might be worth investigating if it bothers you.

XT shifter can change 2 at a time going down the cassette .
2 or more going up to the big sprockets . It is nice when you meet the unexpected pinchy climb .

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
The SLX as well as the XT (I have both) shift more than one cog at the time (though it seems not to be recommended on e-bikes anyway)

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
The SLX as well as the XT (I have both) shift more than one cog at the time (though it seems not to be recommended on e-bikes anyway)

The shifting multiple gears is relative to how powerful your legs are and how much strain the drive train is under according to slope .

Me @ 60 odd KG Shifting 2 gears under no load is not the same as a 100 KG man changing on a steep slope . I also use the only change to lower gear when sitting down method . No changes when stood up climbing . If I had to change while standing I definitely back off and just dance on the pedals for the one revolution it takes to change then full power again .

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I have honestly never changed under load, I am to mechanically sympathetic, when I hear someone changing under load it does something to my ocd lol. I am sure I will get used to the xt, its not like I'm about to swap it over but good to hear different opinions (y)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@mak After many years of having Shimano shifters because they came with the bikes I bought I finally bought a bike with Sram bar furniture. After a settling in period, I decided that I preferred the Sram set up and converted my other bike to the thumb only set up instead of the Shimano thumb and forefinger.

What I liked about the thumb only shifting of Sram was that I could brake and change gear at the same time. The Sram Matchmaker mounts are a work of genius and I would be proud to be the designer who came up with that. The Shimano I-spec system by comparison is clunky and restrictive.

I can't recall ever having a gear shifter that didn't have multi-shifting from small to big, although I must have had in my first few bikes but without having a clue at the time. I have always had what I term "mechanical sympathy" and I've never been able to force myself to change gear under load, I just seem psychologically incapable of doing so. I just change gear when I need to, pausing the pressure from my feet without having to think about it. The emtb has a handy feature that helps when you absolutely must change gear when climbing, but can't let off the pressure without losing momentum, and it's called a mode shift. That is a seamless and mechanically simple way of getting past that crunch point without crunching the gears. A second or so later I can usually shift gear and then downshift the power mode. No crunching required!

My current bike, my first and only emtb, has an 11-speed Shimano XT M8000 shifter & mech and with an XT cassette. I can shift from small to large up to five gears in one go. I seldom have the need to do so and you can be sure that I use mechanical sympathy when I do. Two, three or four shifts is much more usual. Going from big to small is one at a time and I have never needed more.

Sram NX is lower down the scale on Sram's universe than XT is on Shimano's. Sram and Shimano compete like crazy, so I expect that their top and bottom are probably each close equivalents. I guess it is a matter of personal opinion on which is best. My opinion is that the XT is better than NX. Many would say that Shimano SLX hits the sweet spot and maybe GX in the Sram universe. But often we get no choice, we buy a whole bike and we get what is on offer at the price. It's a balance between the suspension, the shifting and the braking.

Getting used to Sram when I was used to Shimano was easier than moving from stick shift to an auto box on a car. Problems arose when I had one of each and moved from one to the other frequently. But that too settled down and I automatically made the mental and physical adjustment required. Although I can use either, I have my preference. (Auto boxes and Sram).

Edit: If you believe the Shimano shifter requires too much lever pressure to shift from small to big gears, then adjust the clutch tension on the mech. It's easy to do.

Last edited:

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Nice insight to your experience Steve (y) , that's a good point with regards to the mounting, the individual gear and brake lever mounts on the Sram are infinitely more adjustable. I am sure I will get used to the Shimano but for me I have no need to shift more than one cog at a time, you can still quick fire the Sram without load .
I guess after some decent rides on the new bike i will adapt to the Shimano system.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am a Shimano fanboy, and for me the ability to multi shift up and down the cassette with XT is something I won’t give up easily - I don’t actively dislike sram but have never got in with the ergonomics of the shifters. Can’t remember having accidentally multi shifted before, but I can imagine if you are used to SRAM it migh be something you do a few times as you get used to it.

Its also perfectly fine to multi shift up and down the cassette without butchering the drivetrain, you just need to have some mechanical sympathy and time your shifts.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I ride lots of bikes with Shimano and SRAM and every time I ride a SRAM drivetrain the one feature I miss is "two way release" and the option with shimano to use either thumb or forefinger to shift up (from larger sprocket to smaller). It's also just far more ergonomic for me.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The Shimano levers are designed for two way shifting, but the better option is the finger-thumb method. Thumb-thumb can be done of course, but I find that the way the shifter has to be positioned with the brake levers doesn't work as well, for me anyway. Using Shimano in finger-thumb works very well and I can get the brake lever in a good position whilst still having the shifter levers well positioned too.

However, if you move to Sram, which is thumb only, then I find other advantages mentioned previously.

I am happy with either, but trying to mix Sram with Shimano doesn't work too well for me.

JChristo

Apr 29, 2019
Australia
I just got a Norco Range VLT with Sram NX, seems like cheap junk compared to my XT gear on the Merida. Seems a strange spec for a bike with top of the line forks and shock but will replace within 12 months anyway. I thought I would hate the single shift but it's fine. Never had any dramas with the multishift XT however, as long as you factor in the extra power from the motor.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The Shimano levers are designed for two way shifting, but the better option is the finger-thumb method. Thumb-thumb can be done of course, but I find that the way the shifter has to be positioned with the brake levers doesn't work as well, for me anyway. Using Shimano in finger-thumb works very well and I can get the brake lever in a good position whilst still having the shifter levers well positioned too.
I find the exact opposite.
My Shimano shifters are easily accessible for thumb tumb. thumb finger. and the two way shift is accessibile with a press or a pull with either my thumb or finger. So basically 4 ways of shifting to a higher gear (smaller sprocket).
and that's with SRAM levers or Shimano levers
Your difficulty in using both ways to shift sounds to me very much like it could be a set-up issue or possibly an incompatibility issue with your brake levers and your positioning of the clamps.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sram NX, seems like cheap junk compared to my XT
What do you expect? You're comparing SRAMs entry level mtb component groupset with Shimano's second from top teir mtb groupset. an XT shifter is twice the price of an NX shifter.
If you're going to compare a SRAM groupset to XT you should be looking at SRAM XO

JChristo

Apr 29, 2019
Australia
What do you expect? You're comparing SRAMs entry level mtb component groupset with Shimano's second from top teir mtb groupset. an XT shifter is twice the price of an NX shifter.
If you're going to compare a SRAM groupset to XT you should be looking at SRAM XO
In fact it is exactly what I expected, and isn't as bad as I expected. I think it was the OP that was asking for a comparison actually :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Your difficulty in using both ways to shift sounds to me very much like it could be a set-up issue or possibly an incompatibility issue with your brake levers and your positioning of the clamps.
I agree, I was trying to make the Shimano shifters on one bike work like Sram shifters on the other that had been set up from the start like that. I tried really hard to find angles that would work, but I just could find sufficient rotational separation on the i-spec mount to make it work well for me. It worked, but I was never really happy with it.

In the end I resolved the problem by converting the Shimano 2x10 to Sram 1x12 (mostly GX). I remember reading somewhere that once you go 1x, there's no going back! They were right.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
How far in you run your levers, lever angle and your hand position on the grips dictates somewhat whether ispec or matchmaker works for you. I use separate bar clamps for wider choice in positioning.

As for 1X
I've been riding it since 1994. On DH, DJ/4X and trail/XC bikes but
"single chairing" as we called it before it was marketed to all the astronomically priced dinner plate cassette buying sheep. ?
I still ride a double on my roadbike. Closer ratios are far far nicer.

My latest Eeb motor just died so I'm riding a lot of road again. Been pleasantly surprised this morning to find that my roadbike is still faster than the Eeb derestrict Ed on my ten mile (each way) hilly commute.
Ebikes are shite. But fun while they last ?

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I remember reading somewhere that once you go, there's no going back! They were right.
I am ok with 1x11 on my ebike. On the other bikes, the front deraileurs are gone, but the granny 22 teeth is still there, just in case.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia

A bit of a price difference at a glance .
XO1 is 20 % more expensive than XT .

The two companies obviously scale their pricing and echelon differently .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I feel like we need Campag to get back in the MTB game as SRAM and Shimano have long ago reached a level of boring competence - I miss beautiful but absolutely useless products like their bullet shifters, a grip shift where the entire grip rotated, would love to see what ergonomic marvel they would put out now!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
A bit of a price difference at a glance .
XO1 is 20 % more expensive than XT
A longer look and you'd perhaps have noticed I didn't mention XO1 at all.
There was a reason for this but alas it also seems to have been missed through your love of the fleeting glance . ?

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
People, if you want clean handlebars, no finger/thumb issues, and to shift while braking:
grip.jpg

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Do you realise what you have done? Opinion on Grip shift is more polarised than it is on Marmite.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I forgot about Grip Shift. I always liked it, back in the day, and it might be just what I need now work around a pain problem I've got with my right thumb.

Thanks for the reminder, Daju..!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles