swap from SRAM to Shimano shifting?

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
For years now i have always ran SRAM, in the begining it was because SRAM seemed to downshift better when under a load if needed. Then I was just comfortable with the shifter where I could downshift and upshift with my thumb. Now I keep hearing that the shimano XT is better, quieter, better to downshift under pressure and I can now also do both upshift and downshift with my thumb. Soo what is the truth? Is this the shifter or is there a better one? Shimano XT SL-M8100 Shifter | Jenson USA

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Yes. From my experience (SRam GX/NX), XT shifts better under load, in this generation. You can use your thumb but it's a different feel so you'd need to get used to it. You can also multishift up with XY or XTR. You'd need to change your drivetrain (shifter, mech, chain and possibly cassette/freehub) to get any benifits of the Shimano system, so it's not a trivial task. And depending what Sram you have it may not be vastly better anyway.

I think you'd only do this if you despise the feel of your current shifters although I think the older 11 speed XT might be the best all round drive train for an eMTB.

Gordon

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes. you can shift up (to a smaller cassette sprocket) using your forefinger or thumb with a shimano shifter. you can even shift using the back of your thumb (pulling the lever backwards)
Try not to shift under load. even though 12spd XT is very good at shifting under load it still isn't a good idea to and will result in far shorter lifespan of both chain and cassettes.
I think the older 11 speed XT might be the best all round drive train for an eMTB.
I'd tend to agree but If you have decent level of fitness 10 speed with an 11-36 is even better IMO. Cassette jumps are smaller, shifts are smoother and quicker. mech cage is a lot shorter and out the way and everything overall is a little stiffer/lighter and it's massively cheaper in running costs than anything else out there.
11-36 10 speed deore cassettes can be bought for just £20

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles