DHF stands for Downhill Freeride and DHR stands for Downhill Race. Who knew!!!

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
I agree! For Surrey hills especially. I’m on regular DHR2 EXO in 2.4 and it makes a HUGE difference to the feel of the bike (compared to a 2.6 MM that weighs 1.3KG)
Are you running the DHR2 in the front, rear or both Rob?
In my neck of the woods, I'll gladly sacrifice rolling momentum for grip.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Be interested to hear how the ewilds and Eddy currents compared , like you I probably compare everything to a majic Mary certainly for the front anyway
I'm nearly finished with the vid but spoiler alert, my findings seem to differ between 27.5 and 29ers. Although, it is worth mentioning that the Levo, Levo HT and the Kenevo were my test bikes I tried it on. Sadly, I couldn't wrangle to get an ebike which used Bosch, Shimano, Yamaha or TQ. I felt no need to try Bafang (at this point) but I could always make another vid.
I'll keep you posted.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Yeah. I don't puncture Exos off road on my Eeb or my enduro bike. I don't ever run low pressures in them though and rather than crave more grip like most do I embrace the lack of grip and challenges that adds. I'm not racing, just out to have fun rather than comparing times but I genuinely have a lot more fun on fast rolling light but supportive tyres.
Only my DH bikes have DH casings but even then I'm not running the softest compounds and running higher pressures than a racer would.
I do realise I'm a bit spoilt for choice here.
Interesting Gary. Like you, I'm not a racer but I've gone the other way (prefer grip over fast rolling). Its probably because I'm more Allmountain than DH/Enduro but I'll gladly note your feedback concerning the fact that you've not punctured the EXO Casing minions ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
In my neck of the woods, I'll gladly sacrifice rolling momentum for grip.
It's not so much rolling momentum. Once you're upto speed the heavier tyre has it's own momentum.

It's other factors ..

Like, a larger heavier tyre on a wheel has more gyroscopic force, so it will be more stable (like a gyroscope) but will be harder to turn.

A larger heavier tyre will make the suspension work less effectively as it's all unsprung weight.

A wider tyre won't turn in as nicely as a thinner tyre.

Heavier tyres will be harder to accelerate and decelerate as there is more rotating mass to get upto speed and more rotating mass to remove speed from. Get a big heavy disk and try to spin it up, it's hard. Try to slow it down, it's impossible.

Heavier tyres will ultimately make the whole bike harder to move around and change direction - as @Gary would say "less playful" .. well, I think he'd say that .. but he might not .. but Virtual Gary in my head would say that so read it as Virtual Gary !

I run DH22's at the moment, which are heavy, but for me, I like them and at the moment I'm happy to take the additional negatives. I really like the 2.4's over the 2.6's and 2.8's I've run previously.

My theory is that DH tyres are perfect for amazing riders doing DH and also for crap riders. For different reasons. A crap rider will not be scalpel like and will make mistakes. A DH tyre is like having huge rubber training wheels, so you'll not get punctures, pinch flats and can pretty much ride into anything and get away with it. As a rider improves, they'll appreciate the advantages of a lighter tyre and be able to take advantage of it.

I'm a crap rider ! :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It's not so much rolling momentum. Once you're upto speed the heavier tyre has it's own momentum.

It's other factors ..

Like, a larger heavier tyre on a wheel has more gyroscopic force, so it will be more stable (like a gyroscope) but will be harder to turn.

A larger heavier tyre will make the suspension work less effectively as it's all unsprung weight.

A wider tyre won't turn in as nicely as a thinner tyre.

Heavier tyres will be harder to accelerate and decelerate as there is more rotating mass to get upto speed and more rotating mass to remove speed from. Get a big heavy disk and try to spin it up, it's hard. Try to slow it down, it's impossible.

Heavier tyres will ultimately make the whole bike harder to move around and change direction - as @Gary would say "less playful" .. well, I think he'd say that .. but he might not .. but Virtual Gary in my head would say that so read it as Virtual Gary !

I run DH22's at the moment, which are heavy, but for me, I like them and at the moment I'm happy to take the additional negatives. I really like the 2.4's over the 2.6's and 2.8's I've run previously.

My theory is that DH tyres are perfect for amazing riders doing DH and also for crap riders. For different reasons. A crap rider will not be scalpel like and will make mistakes. A DH tyre is like having huge rubber training wheels, so you'll not get punctures, pinch flats and can pretty much ride into anything and get away with it. As a rider improves, they'll appreciate the advantages of a lighter tyre and be able to take advantage of it.

I'm a crap rider ! :)

Ok where Zimmer gone and whose using his login? Far to good a reply with no reference to animals, wives, lovers and things that belong in dark corners of the internet

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Iam quite impressed with these original tyres on my rail 9 I have not tried any others so far on this bike but currently not feeling the need even if I could find some in stock somewhere
their tread resembles a maxis to me , they seem fast rolling even on the road and grip is predictable on all surfaces they move about quite a bit on the muddy decents but remain secure making them quite good fun
temped tempted to buy more and stick with them

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles