DHF stands for Downhill Freeride and DHR stands for Downhill Race. Who knew!!!

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Just picked up some nee rubber for a new project bike I'm building and after talking to the staff, they told me that DHR and DHF are not front or rear specific.
Whilst I was aware that some riders chose to run DHRs front and rear like Brendog and others swap their rear for a DHF for the winter months, I never knew that DHF and DHR stood for Freeride and Race.
This changes everything now!!
And to think, I only picked up one Aggresor in a 29 x 2.5 ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The original DHR was a 26" dry weather DH tyre. and it wasn't really a great tyre for anything other than fast rolling dry hardpack conditions. (and even then there were far better options at the time).
Most DH racers/riders used athe DHF front and rear. (I'm taliking 20 years ago BTW)
You can't even buy those for modern wheelsizes.
The DHRII is a completely new tread and far better than the original in every way except rolling speed and far more useable in a far wider range of conditions.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I always though that some people put that nomenclature on to them but Maxxis originally designated the R for rear - I seem to remeber the F existed before the R, but could be talking shit!

@Gary?

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
The original DHR was a 26" dry weather DH tyre. and it wasn't really a great tyre for anything other than fast rolling dry hardpack conditions. (and even then there were far better options at the time).
Most DH racers/riders used athe DHF front and rear. (I'm taliking 20 years ago BTW)
You can't even buy those for modern wheelsizes.
The DHRII is a completely new tread and far better than the original in every way except rolling speed and far more useable in a far wider range of conditions.
You dont say Gary, Fair play.
Truth be told, I'm gonna look into Maxxis a bit more (usually a Schwalbe fan) but lord knows 2021 could be the year I reevaluate.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
1610647749882.png

1610647786528.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
There have always been various reports @R120 and it's so long ago now that rumour muddies the facts.
But the fact remains each tyre was developed independently at a time when DH racers on the whole ran matching tyre tread patern front as rear. (with the exception of when conditions dictated it wasn't suitable)
Yes. The DHF arrived before the DHR and the Highroller was the precursor to both

@Neeko DeVinchi - how old was the shop staff member you were talking to?

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
This was my argument (or rather friendly discussion) with the staff at my local bike shop.
Their response was "we've been in the bike industry for decades. Why would we lie to you".
They still gave me discount on my new rubber as they're fans of my YouTube channel but I'll no longer assume that a front and/or rear specific tyre is indicated by a 'F' or 'R'.
Then again, maybe they are the ones who are misinformed.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
There have always been various reports @R120 and it's so long ago now that rumour muddies the facts.
But the fact remains each tyre was developed independently at a time when DH racers on the whole ran matching tyre tread patern front as rear. (with the exception of when conditions dictated it wasn't suitable)
Yes. The DHF arrived before the DHR and the Highroller was the precursor to both

@Neeko DeVinchi - how old was the shop staff member you were talking to?
I'd say the manager is my age(ish) 31 but the lead mechanic is in his 60s.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The Highroller arrived around the end of the 90s
Maxxis pretty much gave them to every Pro/semi-Pro DH racer who'd take them for free to get the hype/word going on the race circuit (pre-social media etc. ;)) and when they went on sale to the public Maxxis undercut DH tyre prices of Michelin (the Michelin comp16/24 were the DH tyre to have pre-Maxxis) by a lot £20 a tyre Vs £35.
the DHF/DHR must have arrived around the 2000 season (My memory is hazy there though so happy to be corrected)

MadTurnip

Jan 14, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
You dont say Gary, Fair play.
Truth be told, I'm gonna look into Maxxis a bit more (usually a Schwalbe fan) but lord knows 2021 could be the year I reevaluate.
I actually went the opposite direction been running Maxxis for a few years now and just lost patience with the DHF in the mud and am now running a Schwalbe hans damf in the rear and dirty dan for the slop in the front. Will either switch back to a magic mary in the spring or maybe give the DHF another run. It stood up well for the most part but any mud and the grip is gone.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
I actually went the opposite direction been running Maxxis for a few years now and just lost patience with the DHF in the mud and am now running a Schwalbe hans damf in the rear and dirty dan for the slop in the front. Will either switch back to a magic mary in the spring or maybe give the DHF another run. It stood up well for the most part but any mud and the grip is gone.
Not tried the Hans Damf but am very familiar with the Magic Mary, Nobby Nic and Smart Sam. Testing the Eddy Currents on my Kenevo.
My new bike will use Maxxis but I'll gladly swap tyres and compare the difference if I notice anything. I've done the same between the Eddy Currents and the E-Wilds

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
The Highroller arrived around the end of the 90s
Maxxis pretty much gave them to every Pro/semi-Pro DH racer who'd take them for free to get the hype/word going on the race circuit (pre-social media etc. ;)) and when they went on sale to the public Maxxis undercut DH tyre prices of Michelin (the Michelin comp16/24 were the DH tyre to have pre-Maxxis) by a lot £20 a tyre Vs £35.
the DHF/DHR must have arrived around the 2000 season (My memory is hazy there though so happy to be corrected)
I gladly throw myself at the mercy of the bike gods to enlighten me. Besides, you might be right Gary. Afterall, Maxxis is literally everywhere.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
apart from my vagueness over the exact date, that's an accurate portrayal of how Maxxis went from a relatively unknown brand in mtb to being the top seller in downhill mtb in a very short period.

Maxxis are part of the mighty CST (Cheng Shin Tyre) group.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
apart from my vagueness over the exact date, that's an accurate portrayal of how Maxxis went from a relatively unknown brand in mtb to being the top seller in downhill mtb in a very short period.

Maxxis are part of the mighty CST (Cheng Shin Tyre) group.
Maxxis did very similar things with thier motorcycle tyres in off road racing , and produced a line of road tyres that were and still are cheaper than the competition . they never reached quite the same status as the big brands in that sport for road use . Perhaps the name cheng shin scared off some as they were known as the original slipmaster on jap bikes

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Not tried the Hans Damf but am very familiar with the Magic Mary, Nobby Nic and Smart Sam. Testing the Eddy Currents on my Kenevo.
My new bike will use Maxxis but I'll gladly swap tyres and compare the difference if I notice anything. I've done the same between the Eddy Currents and the E-Wilds
Be interested to hear how the ewilds and Eddy currents compared , like you I probably compare everything to a majic Mary certainly for the front anyway

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Having switched out my E-Wilds for Hillybillys over winter, its mean me realise how relatively heavy the E-Wilds are. I like the E-Wilds, but even in current slop like conditions the bike feels a lot more nimble with the Hillybillys, which are also immeasurably better in the wet and mud (which they should be as thats why they are designed for!)

I dont think I will go back to the E-Wilds, or a heavy tire when the conditions improve.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Having switched out my E-Wilds for Hillybillys over winter, its mean me realise how relatively heavy the E-Wilds are. I like the E-Wilds, but even in current slop like conditions the bike feels a lot more nimble with the Hillybillys, which are also immeasurably better in the wet and mud (which they should be as thats why they are designed for!)

I dont think I will go back to the E-Wilds, or a heavy tire when the conditions improve.
I agree! For Surrey hills especially. I’m on regular DHR2 EXO in 2.4 and it makes a HUGE difference to the feel of the bike (compared to a 2.6 MM that weighs 1.3KG)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's the same with normal bikes. Fit DH casing soft compound tyres to any bike and its DH performance is improved immensely but it suffers everywhere else and rides like a tractor on the flat.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes I would never ride the casing I go for on an EMTB on my normal bikes, but then again I haven't had a puncture in nearly 3 years of riding Emtb's with heavy duty tires, which is what has primarily kept me on them.

The 2.6MM in whatever they all the toughest casing I had on a couple of years back was hands down the worst tyre I have ever tried, it was so slow rolling was like trying to ride a barge, let alone the weight.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. DH22s are horrendous if you're not smashing DH laps

But ALL Ebikers are absolute DH pinners, eh?
:cool:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yeah. DH22s are horrendous if you're not smashing DH laps
I actually prefer them to DHR/DHF when in none DH situations. They're only slightly slower accelerating than E-wilds, though I never had any punctures or tears with the E-wilds either - the DH22's turn in nicer than the e-wilds.... and most importantly, the colouring is more vibrant ! :cool:

Ebikers are the bestest DH riders ever.

I'd also like to add : Ignorance is Bliss !

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes I would never ride the casing I go for on an EMTB on my normal bikes, but then again I haven't had a puncture in nearly 3 years of riding Emtb's with heavy duty tires, which is what has primarily kept me on them.
Yeah. I don't puncture Exos off road on my Eeb or my enduro bike. I don't ever run low pressures in them though and rather than crave more grip like most do I embrace the lack of grip and challenges that adds. I'm not racing, just out to have fun rather than comparing times but I genuinely have a lot more fun on fast rolling light but supportive tyres.
Only my DH bikes have DH casings but even then I'm not running the softest compounds and running higher pressures than a racer would.
I do realise I'm a bit spoilt for choice here.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. I wouldn't ever conside using a full mud tyre in spain.
I still don't see what your point is.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles