Levo Gen 3 Cascade Link 2022+ Levo Long Shock Kit

JacMc2112

Sep 8, 2023
Austin,Tx USA
Just upgraded to the long shock kit and threw the super deluxe coil on it. Went with a 450 lbs spring and looks like I’m sitting at about 20% sag. Using most of my travel and can get it to bottom out if I really want to, but I know they recommend 30% sag.

I’m feeling good with 20% sag and definitely wouldn’t want to go lighter on the coil. Anyone else running less sag than suggested?
I’m on a 500lbs spring on my super deluxe coil at 24% sag. It feels amazing. I’ve never had 30% sag on any of my bikes with a coil. It’s always to soft. With air 30% is good. I’m not sure why everyone gets so hung up on 30%. I agree sag should fall within a certain range but at the end of the day it works for you run it.

zgraham_mtb

Sep 28, 2023
New Jersey
I’m on a 500lbs spring on my super deluxe coil at 24% sag. It feels amazing. I’ve never had 30% sag on any of my bikes with a coil. It’s always to soft. With air 30% is good. I’m not sure why everyone gets so hung up on 30%. I agree sag should fall within a certain range but at the end of the day it works for you run it.
Agreed. I mainly have experience with air, but with my limited experience running coil shocks, I feel like I’ve always liked being over spring. Coil is still sensitive off the top, but with the reduced sag, you still get some decent pop.

You running your head angle in the neutral setting?

Dmaguirenz

Nov 22, 2021
New zealand
That's really helpful, thank you! Same weight category here :). So you switched to the alloy version and it works better for you?
Did you notice any differences when riding? Do you feel it's a little stiffer or any other difference or is it just a little less of a hustle?

Thank you!
Possibly a little stiffer, but subjective. I felt the solid bridge was a good thing

JacMc2112

Sep 8, 2023
Austin,Tx USA
Agreed. I mainly have experience with air, but with my limited experience running coil shocks, I feel like I’ve always liked being over spring. Coil is still sensitive off the top, but with the reduced sag, you still get some decent pop.

You running your head angle in the neutral setting?
Yes, HA neutral. I’ve tried all the geo settings and I find neutral works best on my local trails.

jsmbythebay

Sep 28, 2023
mill valley, ca
I just spoke to SRAM to buy one of the RS Super Deluxe Coil with the steel shaft. They said they don't make them???

I thought some folks on this forum were running that model. If so, would love to find out how you found one to buy....

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I just spoke to SRAM to buy one of the RS Super Deluxe Coil with the steel shaft. They said they don't make them???

I thought some folks on this forum were running that model. If so, would love to find out how you found one to buy....
The RS coil with the steel shaft was never made in a 230x65 size. It was only in the stock 210x55 size, it’s been discontinued. The part number specific to the Levo now is just a different rebound/compression tune than what the shock normally comes with.

jsmbythebay

Sep 28, 2023
mill valley, ca

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Ah. So then I take it the many folks running that shock on this forum are running a regular 230x65 Super Deluxe w/out any special part number? I'm assuming they are running that size, since this is a long link forum.....

I find this page very confusing. I can't tell if the 2023 Levo with a 2023 shock is or isn't "supported"....

The 2023+ is “supported”, that chart is kind of confusing but it’s basically saying that the pre-23 models are a no-go on the yoke/strut designs. They still make a steel shaft version but it’s only for the Kenevo SL.

You’ll need the standard 230x65 shock, I’d recommend looking into the WPS piston upgrade too. My mate added it to his when he had it serviced and says it’s a night/day difference.

JacMc2112

Sep 8, 2023
Austin,Tx USA
Ah. So then I take it the many folks running that shock on this forum are running a regular 230x65 Super Deluxe w/out any special part number? I'm assuming they are running that size, since this is a long link forum.....

I find this page very confusing. I can't tell if the 2023 Levo with a 2023 shock is or isn't "supported"....

I’m running the standard 2023 shock. No issues. It’s fantastic.

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
I picked up a Bomber CR body on sale for $250 to use when I send in my EXT E-Storia in for service. Fits nicely and achieved pretty much the same sag with the EXT spring.
IMG_1599.jpeg

metrallainc

Dec 7, 2023
Spain
I’m experiencing rubbing issues on my 2023 S4 comp alloy Levo paired with the X2 and long shock linkage :/

View attachment 125927

Hi partner,

I have exactly the same issue, in my case my bike is a turbo levo comp Alloy 2023 size S3 with the long link kit and a fox X2.
Has Cascade given you any solution? It doesn't seem very logical that this is happening to more people through the forums and Cascade doesn't review it or warn about it on their website (except in sizes S1 and S2).

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Hi partner,

I have exactly the same issue, in my case my bike is a turbo levo comp Alloy 2023 size S3 with the long link kit and a fox X2.
Has Cascade given you any solution? It doesn't seem very logical that this is happening to more people through the forums and Cascade doesn't review it or warn about it on their website (except in sizes S1 and S2).
IME, it’s a Spesh issue, not a cascade issue. My mate had to send his Levo in for warranty work so he swapped his stock link/shock back in. We put the long link/Ohlins shock on my bike so I could try it out but the shock hit the frame, both frames are the same size. When he got his bike back we measured the front shock mount and it was a few MMs further up on my bike, just enough to cause the spring to touch the frame.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
It is a specialized problem for sure but Cascade should still acknowledge the issue. It cost me a few hundred dollars since I had to cover a bunch of shipping costs on turning my x2 and I was without a working bike for a few weeks. If I had know it was a risk I should have likely handled it all differently.

metrallainc

Dec 7, 2023
Spain
Hi partner,

I don't agree that it is specialized's fault. Spe is the bicycle manufacturer and Cascade of an accessory for a bicycle model, it has to ensure the compatibility of what it is manufacturing. Does Spe have to ask Cascade for permission to have a different tolerance when manufacturing? It's as if Valeo is suing Audi because one of its models has a dual-mass clutch and another a single-mass one...

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I don't agree that it is specialized's fault. Spe is the bicycle manufacturer and Cascade of an accessory for a bicycle model, it has to ensure the compatibility of what it is manufacturing. Does Spe have to ask Cascade for permission to have a different tolerance when manufacturing? It's as if Valeo is suing Audi because one of its models has a dual-mass clutch and another a single-mass one...
Yeah, I don't disagree with that. They should have enough feedback now to know there is a problem and the specialized tolerance to how the hole is positioned has a higher degree of variation than they initially planned. At least a warning on their site is required I'd think.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
The X2 fits some frames and not others, so it a variance in the frame. If you space the top of the shock over a couple mm, it usually fixes the problem.

metrallainc

Dec 7, 2023
Spain
I have not yet received a response from Cascade's technical team. The company doesn't seem very serious to me.
Anyway, if I wanted to install a 230x65 coil shock, what would you recommend? and please do not rub on frame.

Ohlins? ttx
RS superdeluxe coil?
Could mount the DHX? (not DHX2)

VentureBro

Dec 9, 2023
California
I have not yet received a response from Cascade's technical team. The company doesn't seem very serious to me.
Anyway, if I wanted to install a 230x65 coil shock, what would you recommend? and please do not rub on frame.

Ohlins? ttx
RS superdeluxe coil?
Their website says

"If you have concerns about clearance with the link, we would recommend going with an Ohlins TTX22 M."

"If you are looking for a new shock to accompany this link, we would recommend going with the EXT E-Storia."

Dmaguirenz

Nov 22, 2021
New zealand

Ohlins? ttx
RS superdeluxe coil?
E storia fits well on my S5 and the replacement S4
HBO 👍

javier161

Jan 28, 2022
miami
What is your weight?

javier161

Jan 28, 2022
miami
So now the súper deluxe coil ultimate with HBO is now approved to run on a long link levo? If so I would like to try it instead of my Ohlins TTX coil.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
So now the súper deluxe coil ultimate with HBO is now approved to run on a long link levo? If so I would like to try it instead of my Ohlins TTX coil.
My mates had it on his bike for a few months now, his is custom tuned and has the WPS piston kit in it. He had the EXT Storia before and says the RS with the WPS kit is better, plus it’s a bit cheaper.

zorro77

Apr 13, 2021
Italy
Hi, do you know if EXT Aria 230x65 has problems on turbo levo carbon 2022 S3 with long link? Does it hit the frame?

Money Pit

Subscriber
Jan 27, 2024
UK
I recently bought a long shock kit but haven't decided on my shock yet. Quite happily running a super deluxe ultimate air shock with a megneg on my levo but feel I want a coil this time.

Without spending huge money I guess the best choice would be an rc2t rockshox coil right? Are there other emtb compatible shocks for under £500?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles