Levo Gen 3 Cascade Link 2022+ Levo Long Shock Kit

MTBJay661

Sep 20, 2023
Los Angeles, CA
Read a separate thread about an S3 alloy with the alloy specific long shock kit having rubbing issues with an S3, but thanks for the input.
I’m experiencing rubbing issues on my 2023 S4 comp alloy Levo paired with the X2 and long shock linkage :/

IMG_3873.jpeg

zgraham_mtb

Sep 28, 2023
New Jersey
I’m experiencing rubbing issues on my 2023 S4 comp alloy Levo paired with the X2 and long shock linkage :/

View attachment 125927
Ah man, think that’s the first post I’ve seen with an S4 having rubbing issues with an X2. I’ve decided I’m going to go for a super deluxe coil and see what happens. Excited to get back on a coil though! Good luck with your resolution with cascade though!

A friend of mine runs the regular cascade link and a vivid on an S2, so that’s an option for you too.

MTBJay661

Sep 20, 2023
Los Angeles, CA
I’m gonna try the cheapest option that was referred to me by cascade components which is an offset bushing .

According to the website it will slacken the shock mount by 2 degrees.
Please update on the Rockshock super deluxe coil.
That is my next solution this if the offset bushing doesn’t work.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I’m gonna try the cheapest option that was referred to me by cascade components which is an offset bushing .

My mate runs the RS super deluxe coil on his S3 with no issues. He has the WPS piston upgrade and raves about it, said he prefers it over his old EXT Storia.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Is there a defect on the piston that comes on the Rockshox deluxe ? Or did your mate just prefer that upgraded piston?
According to his suspension guys the shock with the stock piston struggles with repeated hits, it doesn’t flow enough oil through the rebound ports. They worked with WPS to design the new piston and shim kit and won’t sell the shock without it.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada

Be careful with the offset bushing they are designed to work so the force goes towards the lengthened side. Your bushing with this install will be installed 90 degrees to pull the shock down from the frame so it always wants to rotate and likely will at some point. If it does, your shock is going to rub even worse and likely you will not notice it until you have rubbed it badly.

Cascade recommended the same to me, but when I asked about this they said yes not a good idea then.

Something has obviously changed in their design if we suddenly have so many people having fitment problems. I don't buy it that Specialized changed their frames since my frame is from mid-2022.

MTBJay661

Sep 20, 2023
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the info
Be careful with the offset bushing they are designed to work so the force goes towards the lengthened side. Your bushing with this install will be installed 90 degrees to pull the shock down from the frame so it always wants to rotate and likely will at some point. If it does, your shock is going to rub even worse and likely you will not notice it until you have rubbed it badly.

Cascade recommended the same to me, but when I asked about this they said yes not a good idea then.

Something has obviously changed in their design if we suddenly have so many people having fitment problems. I don't buy it that Specialized changed their frames since my frame is from mid-2022.
thank you for sharing that info, I agree that something has changed in cascades product . When I spoke to the engineer there he stated that his molds might be getting old. But I think they need to redesign the linkage to the newer models if they want to sell the product with a good reputation.
Did you have the same problem?
I’m on a S4 frame.
My next option is to fork over the money on a rockshox super deluxe coil. It still hesitant.
Fox has the DHX on special as of today but the RS offers way more adjustability than the DHX.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Thanks for the info

thank you for sharing that info, I agree that something has changed in cascades product . When I spoke to the engineer there he stated that his molds might be getting old. But I think they need to redesign the linkage to the newer models if they want to sell the product with a good reputation.
I’m on a S4 frame.
My next option is to fork over the money on a rockshox super deluxe coil. It still hesitant.
Fox has the DHX on special as of today but the RS offers way more adjustability than the DHX.
Fox won’t offer any warranty support if the DHX is installed on a Levo if that matters to you. The RS is levo approved so that’s a plus.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Thanks for the info

I’m on a S4 frame.
Cascade linkages are machined from billet not cast or forged so there won't be any change in sizing from molds.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Cascade linkages are machined from billet not cast or forged so there won't be any change in sizing from molds.
I think he meant the molds from Specialized. There’s definitely something different going on with all the rubbing issues popping up lately. When I talked to the guys at Cascade they told me they think the front shock mount isn’t in the same spot on every frame, that’s why some shocks clear fine on one bike but rub on the next.

MTBJay661

Sep 20, 2023
Los Angeles, CA
Thats what I meant, although I did notice a lot of flexing coming from the linkage, even after it being torqued to spec.
As of now I’m still running the X2, I painted over the frame rub & now watching for new run to appear.
I tested it this morning at my local bike park and seemed to hold up without rubbing. Gotta take it down some chunk for the real test

zgraham_mtb

Sep 28, 2023
New Jersey
Quick update, just installed the RSD ultimate coil shock on my 2023 Specialized Levo with cascade components long shock linkage. Running a 600lb spring for now. Haven’t gotten to dial it in, only parking lot rides. No rubbing on the frame & no issues with the install.

View attachment 126514
Looks good, and thanks for the update. My ling shock kit and super deluxe coil are set to arrive Monday actually.

You mentioned you have the 600lb spring, so curious as to your weight and to know how that spring feels. If you’re not offended, lol.

I am about 140lbs and ordered the 400lb and 450lb spring as recommended by cascade.

soso79

Feb 19, 2021
Germany
Hi, got an EXT Storia V3 to sell 230/65. Since last Service in September not ridden. Springs are 450 + 500. Shim is for Kenevo SL but works great with the Cascade on Levo.
original packaging everything present
650€ plus shipping

JacMc2112

Sep 8, 2023
Austin,Tx USA
Quick update. I bought a super deluxe ultimate coil to replace my X2 that was contacting the frame on my S3 carbon. The shock no longer contacts the frame and I have no issues with the fit. This is a great shock. I like it even more than the X2. Traction is much better and shock has good midstroke support and I was surprised it still has pretty good pop. I’m 180lbs full kit. 500lbs spring. The HBO on this shock absolutely works. I had it open and had a couple small bottom outs with a “Thunk”. Added 2 clicks of HBO and never experienced that sound or sensation again. It’s a super useful feature on a coil shock where exact spring rates for different individuals is hard to find.

LSC-
2 in from fully open
HSC-
2 clicks from closed
Rebound-
10 from closed
HBO( hydraulic bottom out)
2 clicks from closed
Shaft sag 25%

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
short link, short CS, 27.5x2.4, 170mm Zeb, -1* HS - BB height about 33.5cm
short link-short cs-275.jpg

long link, short CS, 27x2.4, 170mm Zeb, -1* HS - BB height about 34.5cm
long link-short-cs-275.jpg

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
My mate just tried the RS Vivid on his S3, rubbed all the paint off one spot on the shock can and his frame. I guess that’s another shock that can be added to the list that won’t work on the smaller frames.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
What is it when you measure at sag? I found them to be the same so while riding the bike its the same BB height but when I'm off the bike it is a tad higher.
i won't be changing links soon, but, you can easily calculate that, all info is available:
travel, suspension leverage ratios, chainstays, front centres :)

jsmbythebay

Sep 28, 2023
mill valley, ca
Levo Expert S4 Stock (LOW&SLACK) ........ 335 mm BB
Cascade + Superdeluxe 230*65 + ZEB 170 (LOW&SLACK)......352 mm BB FOX 160 Stock 350 mm BB
WTB Vigilante 2.5 + Eliminator Grid Gravity 2.6

Now it´s a wonderful enduro bike
Hi. I'm wondering if that is a Super Deluxe Coil? Or Air? And specifically, does it affect your ability to fit a water bottle?

davem85

Feb 1, 2021
Germany
Hey there,
I'm about to buy a long shock kit for my S-Works S5 (fitment shouldn't be an issue on that size I suppose).

Cascade writes on their website that the new alloy version is also suitable for carbon frames and is supposed to be stiffer and therefore protects the frame better against rotational forces than the standard longshock kit version due to the additional link / one part design.

As I'm not the lightest rider and there is almost not price difference, I was thinking about getting this one.

Has anyone here already tried the alloy version on their carbon Levo?

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I run the alloy version on carbon and had contact issues with my x2, but I'm also a S3. I bought it for that reason as well.

I asked them why they didn't make just one then, and they said it was to offer a lower-cost solution. I understand that in the future, they will likely just offer the one version.

The alloy version is also easier to install and align with it being 3 pieces.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
I have long travel link with extra strut on carbon S4, everything works. I'm not sure if that extra strut saves the shock - as all bending forces comes from yoke, but should help with overall rear triangle stiffness.

davem85

Feb 1, 2021
Germany
I have had both on the S5. Fits no dramas. The later one doesn't twist and flog the bearing out. Bigger rider 240lbs. Hope that helps
That's really helpful, thank you! Same weight category here :). So you switched to the alloy version and it works better for you?
Did you notice any differences when riding? Do you feel it's a little stiffer or any other difference or is it just a little less of a hustle?

Thank you!

zgraham_mtb

Sep 28, 2023
New Jersey
Just upgraded to the long shock kit and threw the super deluxe coil on it. Went with a 450 lbs spring and looks like I’m sitting at about 20% sag. Using most of my travel and can get it to bottom out if I really want to, but I know they recommend 30% sag.

I’m feeling good with 20% sag and definitely wouldn’t want to go lighter on the coil. Anyone else running less sag than suggested?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles