Levo Gen 3 Cascade Link 2022+ Levo Long Shock Kit

redrhino

Mar 24, 2020
california
Did anyone else notice a lot of slop (after torque to spec) where the yoke and links connect? The stock link did not have any. Here is a video: VIEW VIDEO ... I'm wondering if tolerances are off on the link I got.

Last edited:

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Did anyone else notice a lot of slop where the yoke and links connect? The stock link did not have any. Here is a video: VIEW VIDEO ... I'm wondering if tolerances are off on the link I got.
Interesting I assume this is to torque spec?

I know they have a new anodizer and process. I wonder if the new links aren’t as tight as the old.

I’d send them that video for their feedback.

Last edited:

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I noticed Cascade added this to the website:

Compatibility Notes:

For frame sizes S2 and smaller, shock selection may be restricted by frame clearance at full compression. Larger diameter shocks/springs, like EXT or a Float X2, can rub on some frames. We can't guarantee it won't affect your frame. If you see someone out there say it's fine and they have pictures and all, you may find things to be different on your bike. So please error on the side of clearance and caution if your frame is size S2 or smaller. If you are not okay with the sorting out shock clearance, which may entail running a shock that isn't your first choice, we'd recommend sticking with the link for the stock size shock.

Who has a S2 and what shock are you using? I haven’t bought a shock yet as I was still trying to decide what to go with, I don’t want to spend a bunch of money on a shock only for it not to fit.

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
I noticed Cascade added this to the website:

Compatibility Notes:

For frame sizes S2 and smaller, shock selection may be restricted by frame clearance at full compression. Larger diameter shocks/springs, like EXT or a Float X2, can rub on some frames. We can't guarantee it won't affect your frame. If you see someone out there say it's fine and they have pictures and all, you may find things to be different on your bike. So please error on the side of clearance and caution if your frame is size S2 or smaller. If you are not okay with the sorting out shock clearance, which may entail running a shock that isn't your first choice, we'd recommend sticking with the link for the stock size shock.

Who has a S2 and what shock are you using? I haven’t bought a shock yet as I was still trying to decide what to go with, I don’t want to spend a bunch of money on a shock only for it not to fit.
I have a S2 Expert, use a ohlins ttx22 M2, It fit without problems

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I just installed my cascade long link last night and previously installed a 170mm fork. Took some measurements and thought I'd share. I'm sure there are some minor issues in my measurements but it shows what I was expecting the BB is higher at static (still in high), but at Sag really not too off.

Plan to leave it in high for the first few rides then might try it in low and then might try it in slack.

BB measurement isn't really BB. I measured it at the crank bolt.

1693420679842.png

No ride yet since it is storming out, but I do have clearance problems at full compression. If I stick a piece of paper in here, it gets jammed, but I never hear a slap or clunk.

IMG_4832.jpeg

Edit: I know there is still room in the shock but couldn’t take the picture at full compressor it does fully compress.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I just installed my cascade long link last night and previously installed a 170mm fork. Took some measurements and thought I'd share. I'm sure there are some minor issues in my measurements but it shows what I was expecting the BB is higher at static (still in high), but at Sag really not too off.

Plan to leave it in high for the first few rides then might try it in low and then might try it in slack.

View attachment 123671

No ride yet since it is storming out, but I do have clearance problems at full compression. If I stick a piece of paper in here, it gets jammed, but I never hear a slap or clunk.

View attachment 123672

Edit: I know there is still room in the shock but couldn’t take the picture at full compressor it does fully compress.
What size frame do you have? Cascade recently added a note about clearance issues with some shocks. I’m debating just selling my link now since I don’t want to play the “will it fit” game with whatever shock I choose to run.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Anyone interested in a long travel link I have one for sale, $300 shipped + PP fees, 48 continental states USA only. For carbon models only, has only 5 rides on it as I sold my Levo. DM me.
1693478082453.jpeg

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Decided to throw the bike into low settings just to see if it would help with shock clearance but it didn't help but did as you'd expect return my BB height and headtube angle back to normal.

1693502025279.png

I went for a driveway test with the shock low in PSI so I could bottom it out a few times. Makes zero sound againest the frame. Think I'll throw some protection tape up and give it a ride the next time I'm free to see how it works.

Is there is an offset bushing that perhaps I could use to move the shock down a bit? Need like 2mm of clearance.

Dmaguirenz

Nov 22, 2021
New zealand

View attachment 123671

View attachment 123672

Awesome breakdown, should dispell any myths.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
Did anyone else notice a lot of slop (after torque to spec) where the yoke and links connect? The stock link did not have any. Here is a video: VIEW VIDEO ... I'm wondering if tolerances are off on the link I got.
looks like some play on a bearing? I don't think i had any play there. it's like some spacer/bushing is missing or the bearing is shot ?

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
looks like some play on a bearing? I don't think i had any play there. it's like some spacer/bushing is missing or the bearing is shot ?
Yeah probably just missing the little plastic spacer/bushing that goes on top of the bearing. There is one on each side of the bearing and they fall out easily

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Still haven't been able to get my X2 to fit - I have been working with Cascade on it but no resolution yet. Was thinking perhaps the 2024 X2 might be a tad thicker, but they do measure the same. Must just be my frame has the shock bolt hole a few MM higher.

So I bought an Ohlins ttx22m.2 to match the front shock :) The first ride last night was pretty good. Coil is going to take a bit of getting used to, but I think I'm going to like it.

The only issue is now I have this x2 shock -- I'm in Canada if anyone is looking for one

IMG_4944.jpeg IMG_4940.jpeg

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
Still haven't been able to get my X2 to fit - I have been working with Cascade on it but no resolution yet. Was thinking perhaps the 2024 X2 might be a tad thicker, but they do measure the same. Must just be my frame has the shock bolt hole a few MM higher.

So I bought an Ohlins ttx22m.2 to match the front shock :) The first ride last night was pretty good. Coil is going to take a bit of getting used to, but I think I'm going to like it.

The only issue is now I have this x2 shock -- I'm in Canada if anyone is looking for one

View attachment 125260 View attachment 125261
I think you’ll learn to love it pretty quick! Just make sure you get your spring rate right for the Cascade link to get the most out of it.

I have the same setup on mine (ohlins 38 up front and ohlins coil in the rear) and I absolutely love it! And let’s be honest, it looks epic too ☺️
Remove the negative volume spacer from your fork too!

[edit] ok I lied, too many bikes and forums 😂 I have the ohlins setup on my stumpy EVO and SC Nomad. Still epic nonetheless and you’ll love it. I did EXT coil and custom Fox 38 with avalanche on the turbo levo.

MISTER HYDE

Oct 9, 2019
ITALY

After some native clatter problem with another coil shock I bought the TTX22 M2 too (with SAR coil because I don't like the yellow one). Is love at first sight :love:. Work very well and is easy to set up.
ZEB is coil too with Vorsprung Smashpot that is an amazing feeling as well ! :cool:

2023-08-FALLERE.jpg

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
I have read about this but can't find any instructions on how to do it. I even sent Ohlin an email last week, but no response yet.
It’s fairly easy, you’ll need some basic tools and a little fork oil. Ohlins of course recommends theirs but you can also use Fox Gold which is more common (ie more available)

Here’s the gist of it (you don’t have to remove it from the bike but helps if you have a bike stand.

Release air pressure from both air chambers
Remove the black nut on the bottom of the air side leg (~13mm or so).
- you will have some oil drain out of this so have a bucket or similar ready.
Use a cassette tool on the top side of the air chamber to remove the entire cartridge. When you unscrew this the whole air cartridge will simply lift up and out as one entire assembly.
You do NOT have to remove the stanchions from the fork lowers, leave them attached.
Once it is out there will be a blue anodized piece in the middle of the shaft, use an adjustable crescent wrench (I don’t recall the exact size, maybe 21mm or so) to unthread the blue piece. You’ll see it has flats on it for the wrench. I used a second wrench with the cassette tool on the opposite side to keep hold it while unthreading.

after you unthread it you can pull the blue piece down the shaft, and separate the main smaller diameter piston from the larger one. It will feel like a strong suction, because it is, to help you can depress the air release on the cassette tool side.

Here is the tricky part, not difficult just tricky.
Look down inside at the very bottom of the blue anodized piece, you’ll see a white plastic spacer stuck at the bottom, you need to carefully use a pick or something to slide the spacer up and out of the blue piece.
Once you manage to do that, the spacer is actually split, so find the split and use a flat screwdriver or similar to spread it apart and remove it from the piston shaft.

After that, reverse all the steps to put it back together.
When it’s assembled and you are dropping the complete cartridge back in the fork keg, I made sure the cartridge was mostly assembled and the fork stanchions were depressed into the lower keg. So basically the cartridge is sticking up out the top by at least a couple inches.
This easily allows you to re-secure the bottom black nut, add oil through the top directly inside the fork keg, then resecure the top with your cassette tool.
Add pressure (ramp up chamber first per manual) go ride and enjoy!

I wasn’t sure what I was gonna find when I did it myself so the first one took a little over an hour, I didn’t even know what the spacer looked like or if I really even had one haha, but it’s in there.
When I did my second fork on the other bike, it literally probably took me 15 min.
As with anything when you actually know what your doing lol.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask any specific questions.

JacMc2112

Sep 8, 2023
Austin,Tx USA

View attachment 125260 View attachment 125261
So after reading your post I was concerned that the 2024 X2 I ordered wouldn’t work on my S3 carbon with the long shock link. After installation at full compression it makes slight contact. I took it out for a rip today and reached full travel on a few g outs and drops. I didn’t hear or feel any contact. I don’t see any scuff marks or marring of the frame. At this point with the investment I’m gonna keep running it. I’ll let you know if any significant wear begins to show. If so I may be switching to a shock with more clearance. I appreciate the info in your posts.

IMG_6119.jpeg

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
IMO, you’re asking for trouble if it’s making any kind of contact, it would be a no-go for me. I had a different frame where the shock was slightly touching the frame, it eventually caused it to crack.

JacMc2112

Sep 8, 2023
Austin,Tx USA
IMO, you’re asking for trouble if it’s making any kind of contact, it would be a no-go for me. I had a different frame where the shock was slightly touching the frame, it eventually caused it to crack.
You are probably right. Sounds like the Ohlins is the way to go. I may end up with the X2 on one of my other bikes.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
You are probably right. Sounds like the Ohlins is the way to go. I may end up with the X2 on one of my other bikes.
I haven’t installed my long link kit, it’s still in the box. Cascade put the disclaimer up about certain shocks hitting the frame so I’ve been debating on what shock I wanted to experiment with. I really wanted to try the EXT Aria but that’s an expensive investment for it not to work.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles