Levo Gen 3 Cascade Link 2022+ Levo Long Shock Kit

JacMc2112

Sep 8, 2023
Austin,Tx USA
I haven’t installed my long link kit, it’s still in the box. Cascade put the disclaimer up about certain shocks hitting the frame so I’ve been debating on what shock I wanted to experiment with. I really wanted to try the EXT Aria but that’s an expensive investment for it not to work.
I thought the disclaimer was for S2 and smaller. I’m pretty frustrated at this point but the setup works so well that I’m inclined to keep messing with it until it’s right. It really is transformative the way the bike rides now. I had some issues with a CC link on my SB 150 so this is not totally new to me. I ended up making a custom spacer for my push 11/6 to shorten the stroke slightly. It works very well now.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I thought the disclaimer was for S2 and smaller. I’m pretty frustrated at this point but the setup works so well that I’m inclined to keep messing with it until it’s right. It really is transformative the way the bike rides now. I had some issues with a CC link on my SB 150 so this is not totally new to me. I ended up making a custom spacer for my push 11/6 to shorten the stroke slightly. It works very well now.
Yeah, Cascade only listed the S2 but you’re the 5th person that I’ve heard of with an S3 that is having the rubbing issues. I’ve not heard of any S4/S5s having any, it seems to only affect the smaller sizes. I may give it a go, just hate to order a shock at full price then it not fit and have to sell it at a loss.

JacMc2112

Sep 8, 2023
Austin,Tx USA
Yeah, Cascade only listed the S2 but you’re the 5th person that I’ve heard of with an S3 that is having the rubbing issues. I’ve not heard of any S4/S5s having any, it seems to only affect the smaller sizes. I may give it a go, just hate to order a shock at full price then it not fit and have to sell it at a loss.
I’m already in that rabbit hole!🥴

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hallo, I use a long link on Expert size S2, with a Ohlins ttx22 M2, without any problem, a friend has long link on s3 with EXT e-storia and also in his case he didn't encounter any interference problems with the frame.

soso79

Feb 19, 2021
Germany
I had an x2 230/65 with suitable shim for the Cascade Link to hand over, ridden 8 times. Works perfectly.
2 volume spacers are now installed. I found it worked best with one.
Price is €325 plus shipping. If anyone likes, feel free to PM

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Certainly, open a support ticket with Cascade. They need to know about this problem. As mentioned, there are like 5 people here having this problem, and we aren't that big of a group.

I know when I talked to them this spring, they had mentioned they had some changes coming hence why they now have different colours. I personally suspect the link is slightly different in the last two months. Cascade tells me they think Specialized started making the shock hole in front a bit higher, but my Turbo Levo is a mid-2022 build date it isn't a 2023 or late 2022, so that doesn't make sense. But I do buy that Specialized might not always build each frame to the same specs within a couple mm.

JacMc2112

Sep 8, 2023
Austin,Tx USA
I didn’t think about that, @JacMc2112 have you tried reducing the stroke to 62.5? I wonder if that would solve your issues with the shock hitting the frame. I doubt you’d miss the 2.5mm of stroke.
So the wear marks on the X2 sticker indicate that 10mm of the shock come into contact with the frame. Reducing the stroke by 2.5 mm might help a little but I think it will still contact the frame on full compression. So at this point to avoid a cracked frame later I’m gonna go with a super deluxe coil or Ohlins. The Super Deluxe is 4mm smaller diameter at its widest point than the X2 which should be plenty. If you have an S3 or smaller I would avoid large volume air shocks like the X2 or Vivid. I’m not sure the width of the Aria.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Loving the ohlins and cascade. I was a bit disappointment I couldn’t run the x2 but boy does this thing get traction and feel awesome.
IMG_4969.jpeg

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I’m 90kg and went with a 548 and 571 so far the 548 seams to be right at 30% sag. Might try a ride with the 571 just to see.

I do find the coil interesting because a lot harder to tell if you are bottoming out due to there being no measurement ring.
I bet! What’s your weight and spring rate?

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
So the wear marks on the X2 sticker indicate that 10mm of the shock come into contact with the frame. Reducing the stroke by 2.5 mm might help a little but I think it will still contact the frame on full compression. So at this point to avoid a cracked frame later I’m gonna go with a super deluxe coil or Ohlins. The Super Deluxe is 4mm smaller diameter at its widest point than the X2 which should be plenty. If you have an S3 or smaller I would avoid large volume air shocks like the X2 or Vivid. I’m not sure the width of the Aria.
I’m looking at possibly going to Manitou now, the Mezzer/Mara pro combo. I can’t find any dealers in the UK though. I can order from Shockcraft but he doesn’t have either in stock right now, they’re both backordered.

JacMc2112

Sep 8, 2023
Austin,Tx USA
I’m looking at possibly going to Manitou now, the Mezzer/Mara pro combo. I can’t find any dealers in the UK though. I can order from Shockcraft but he doesn’t have either in stock right now, they’re both backordered.
I like their stuff if you can find it. Let me know how it goes.

zgraham_mtb

Sep 28, 2023
New Jersey
Hey all, new member here. Have a ‘22 Levo Alloy arriving Monday and trying to figure out which route to go.

I’m a Rockshox fan so have a Zeb waiting to put on, but need some help with the rear end.

Ultimately I’d like the long shock kit paired with the new Vivid air shock, but seems people are having problems fitting an X2 on the S3, so the wider body of the vivid seems like it definitely won’t fit.

Anyone have experience with the ‘23 Super Deluxe Ultimate either air or coil and have any input on it? Or would I be better off getting the regular link and throwing a 210x55 Vivid on there since I know it fits? Just seems like the added bb height from the long shock kit is worth it.

Thanks!

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
Not sure about your situation as the Alloy models do use a different Cascade Link than the Carbon models that the S3 fit issues were reported on above. Could be similar in the alloy but I don’t think it’s been reported here yet.

JacMc2112

Sep 8, 2023
Austin,Tx USA
Hey all, new member here. Have a ‘22 Levo Alloy arriving Monday and trying to figure out which route to go.

I’m a Rockshox fan so have a Zeb waiting to put on, but need some help with the rear end.

Ultimately I’d like the long shock kit paired with the new Vivid air shock, but seems people are having problems fitting an X2 on the S3, so the wider body of the vivid seems like it definitely won’t fit.

Anyone have experience with the ‘23 Super Deluxe Ultimate either air or coil and have any input on it? Or would I be better off getting the regular link and throwing a 210x55 Vivid on there since I know it fits? Just seems like the added bb height from the long shock kit is worth it.

Thanks!
The regular link is a vast improvement over the stock link. However the long shock kit is definitely on another level in rough terrain. I have both links and even though the X2 didn’t fit I’ll be going with a super deluxe coil. So depending on your terrain I think getting the long link set up correctly is worth it. I have a carbon S3 but I’m not familiar with the alloy frame for compatibility.

zgraham_mtb

Sep 28, 2023
New Jersey
Not sure about your situation as the Alloy models do use a different Cascade Link than the Carbon models that the S3 fit issues were reported on above. Could be similar in the alloy but I don’t think it’s been reported here yet.
Read a separate thread about an S3 alloy with the alloy specific long shock kit having rubbing issues with an S3, but thanks for the input.

Last edited:

zgraham_mtb

Sep 28, 2023
New Jersey
The regular link is a vast improvement over the stock link. However the long shock kit is definitely on another level in rough terrain. I have both links and even though the X2 didn’t fit I’ll be going with a super deluxe coil. So depending on your terrain I think getting the long link set up correctly is worth it. I have a carbon S3 but I’m not familiar with the alloy frame for compatibility.
Thanks for that. The long shock kit is definitely preferable. I’m curious about running a coil, but I typically go for air for ease of set up. Think I read people were complaining about bottom out issues with the coil when set to 30% sag?

Last edited:

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
Read a separate thread about an S3 alloy with the alloy specific long shock kit having rubbing issues with an S2, but thanks for the input.
I don’t think you ever said what size your bike is. I assumed it was and S3 as that was the size in the most recent discussion of the X2. If you have and S2 then for sure you will need to figure that out. Good luck. I certainly like my EXT E-Storia.

zgraham_mtb

Sep 28, 2023
New Jersey
I don’t think you ever said what size your bike is. I assumed it was and S3 as that was the size in the most recent discussion of the X2. If you have and S2 then for sure you will need to figure that out. Good luck. I certainly like my EXT E-Storia.
I am getting the S3. Was a typo in the second post of mine. EXT is nice, but a little pricey for me. It will all work out somehow, lol.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William

Thanks!
I inquired about the vivid air from one of the suspension tuners here, they had already attempted to fit one on a S3 and it hit the frame so no way it would work on my S2. He said the 210x55 with the standard cascade link would be my only option if I wanted that shock. He also said that both the super deluxe ultimate air and coil would fit with no issues. They sell both with an upgraded piston that’s supposed to be really good. A friend of mine runs the coil with the upgraded piston and swears it’s just as good as his old EXT Storia.

zgraham_mtb

Sep 28, 2023
New Jersey
I inquired about the vivid air from one of the suspension tuners here, they had already attempted to fit one on a S3 and it hit the frame so no way it would work on my S2. He said the 210x55 with the standard cascade link would be my only option if I wanted that shock. He also said that both the super deluxe ultimate air and coil would fit with no issues. They sell both with an upgraded piston that’s supposed to be really good. A friend of mine runs the coil with the upgraded piston and swears it’s just as good as his old EXT Storia
Sweet. What is the upgraded piston?

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Sweet. What is the upgraded piston?

He rode the shock stock and then did the upgrade, he said it felt like a completely different shock and rivalled his EXT. The only downside is once you do the upgrade and buy a spring it’s almost as costly as the EXT.

Edit: if you’re on a budget you can get the same piston kit for the Marzzochi Bomber, my suspension guy says it’s a killer set-up for the money.

Last edited:

MTBJay661

Sep 20, 2023
Los Angeles, CA
Hey everyone, I’m a newbie to this forum but been lurking for over a year. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 2023 Specialized Levo comp alloy and bought the cascade long travel linkage as well as a Fox X2 shock to upgrade from the stock.
Long story short, after getting everything installed I noticed my shock is starting to rub on my frame. Has anyone else seen this before?
The eye to eye measurement is correct and everything is torqued to spec.
I’m running extra PSI to help compensate.
I’ve spoken with Max from cascade components but still haven’t gotten a solution then refunding the linkage.

Here’s some pic of the frame rub

IMG_3874.jpeg IMG_3873.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles