Bosch Powertube 750 battery latch /mounting housing broke

Bone_doc

Apr 21, 2021
Darwin NT Asutralia
Hello everyone,
Sorry to vent my frustration with my new Focus SAM2 6.0 with the Bosch CXR. (My previous ride is a Focus Jam2 6.8)
The SAM2 uses the 750wH removable powertube battery that can be slide out at the bottom of the down tube.
They problems I have atm is that the latch for the battery which is made from plastic broke at its corners and every time it landed from a jump the bike switched off! The movements may be between 2-5 mm but enough to disconnect the battery. Very frustrating as I have to flip the bike open the battery cover and pushed it in so I can switch the bike back on.
It is being replaced under warranty by Bosch after waiting for a few weeks for parts as Focus said that is not their problem At my local bike shop.
Anyone has any similar issues?
My concern is that as this mount is made from plastic this might be a recurring problems as I don’t think it can withstand the force of a 1.4kg battery trying to slide out after a big impact post jump. ( I also bought a few just in case)
Also wondering if this is the reason why many bikes with similar battery opted for their bike to be non-removable eg Orbea Wild
I appreciate opinions from everyone in this forum. Cheers

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Same or similar problem with the Canyon Strive, have a look in the Canyon section for possible fixes

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Focus says its not there problem LOL

There bike they built and designed it , its there problem
The battery and motor system is in integral part of the bike unlike forks wheels etc
get back on to them .

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
As a bove of course it is Focus' problem.
Re the Canyon thread, the experience with those bikes may or may not apply to yours. Canyon do not for example use the complete Bosch battery rail system and some have also found the top main battery connector insecure. The main fixes tha the Canyon owners have found effective primary ensure the battery is held more stable in the downtube preventing movement at the Bosch securing latch.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Has you can see, the Latch is equal, but Focus latch uses a lock.

Screenshot_20231122_232052_YouTube.jpg 20231110_190849.jpg 20231110_190840.jpg 20231110_190515.jpg 20231110_190837.jpg

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
My concern is that as this mount is made from plastic this might be a recurring problems as I don’t think it can withstand the force of a 1.4kg battery trying to slide out after a big impact post jump. ( I also bought a few just in case)
Also wondering if this is the reason why many bikes with similar battery opted for their bike to be non-removable eg Orbea Wild
I appreciate opinions from everyone in this forum. Cheers
Firstly, fuck Focus, what sort of customer service is that... of course its their problem. If Focus won't fix it properly in a timely manner I'd be asking your LBS/Place of purchase for a refund and buy a brand with a proper warranty.

Secondly the Bosch powertube 750 is actually 4.4 Kilograms not 1.4kg

Bone_doc

Apr 21, 2021
Darwin NT Asutralia
Thanks for all the replies. Really appreciate the inputs. Thanks Bomble, I've checked out the Canyon Strive's group.
The summary is that the design of the latch for the battery inserted up the down tube is universal hence the Canyon Strive users have the same issue! There are some well thought out 3rd party fixes that should help. Thinking of getting that as a reinforcement. I live in Darwin in North Australia and trying to ship stuff up here is quite costly. I bought the replacement latch from a website in Germany as there is non in Australia and the freight cost 3 times the price!

Bone_doc

Apr 21, 2021
Darwin NT Asutralia
Firstly, fuck Focus, what sort of customer service is that... of course its their problem. If Focus won't fix it properly in a timely manner I'd be asking your LBS/Place of purchase for a refund and buy a brand with a proper warranty.

Secondly the Bosch powertube 750 is actually 4.4 Kilograms not 1.4kg
Thanks JP, I meant the battery is 4.4 kg. The local bike shop here has been very good fighting to get the replacement part and fighting to get a compensation for what had happened. Not really sure I’ll get anything. Just want them to fix the bike as I just want to ride the bloody bike in a way it should be ridden.

Bone_doc

Apr 21, 2021
Darwin NT Asutralia

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Hi Mario,
The lock is there so you won't be able to open the latch to remove the battery. It doesn't do much in helping to keep the battery super firm hence it will still move and disconnect the terminal
I understand
You should be able to disassemble the lock from the latch.
Afterwards, you can use the solutions that have been showing up:
- plastic plate/shim
- zipties

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles