Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Should fit like this
E43AE0EE-21F2-4F0B-9AF4-01BCF850C117.jpeg

Clean

Subscriber
Jul 1, 2022
West Yorkshire
Looks quite different. No screws beneath the screw holes, and the whole thing gets pulled right out of shape once in place.

The issue - IMHO - is the difference in orientation and fixtures between vertical and horizontal mounting plates - Trek being one way and Cube being another.

D69A5F02-81E4-4CE8-BFAE-F9DDBFEDFC6C.jpeg

0B0FBAB4-0A3F-4C10-B9AE-1ED36A6B8725.jpeg

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
I have an inverse relationship between hearing ability and roughness of trail. The rougher the trail gets the deafer i seem to get. Specifically does anything rattle on the bike over and above the chain on rough trails - no idea. I guess i'm so focused on staying upright (or not) , the Numskulls vacate the hearing room and all rush to eyes dept.....
My battery fell out after about the first 50 miles of trails riding. I'd never been aware of it rattling. Took it into the dealer who tightened it up and it's been fine for the last several hundred miles, still not rattling as far as i'm aware.... Although i have had 3 instances of it switching itself off during rides.
Whether this is due to momentary loss of battery contact or not i do not know... 🤔
I will be buying one, if there's any left, for FOMO 😁👍

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
My reality does, on occasion, get a little weird....
Whilst 'googling' the part and casually reading through the responses ( it's Sunday morning and leg still healing so no riding for me 😟 ) .... I came across the following -

Screenshot_20220904-095404.png

.... So tempted to order, just to see what turns up....

Bob_Y

Aug 5, 2022
New Zealand
Bought mine today from Hub Cycles, $5 plus $5 freight anywhere in NZ. I've been getting lots of rattle on chunky descents, hoping this will fix it. Never knew it existed till I read this thread. It's the last item at the bottom of the drop-down options menu. Few other places selling them too but this was the cheapest freight I could find
Bosch - PowerTube Battery Parts & Cables
I also wanted one in NZ, but it was sold out.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
I also wanted one in NZ, but it was sold out.
Looks like Cycle Trading Co. still have some shipping is a bit more is all
Also Top Gear Cycles
And Papanui Cycles

Bob_Y

Aug 5, 2022
New Zealand
Looks like Cycle Trading Co. still have some shipping is a bit more is all
Also Top Gear Cycles
And Papanui Cycles
Thank you! have placed an order.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Just fitted mine even though I didn’t have any noticeable battery rattle. I didn’t buy it to hang on the wall 😂

it’s quite a tight fit and I had to manoeuvre it around to get over each of the prongs and the main prong at the bottom. It doesn’t sit completely flat, but battery weight will soon fix that.

A0309733-23B3-4510-B6F5-F9864A8FA5D8.jpeg

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
Having used it, it's really easy to make one then just glue it in using contact adhesive. You'll need some ~10mm closed cell foam, and a template is easy to make from the pic below.

View attachment 95841
Having had a quick look around and finding them all sold out in the uk ( for some reason 🤔 ) I'll give this a go with a bit of old neoprene from a wetsuit I've got lying around - thanks 😁👍

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Just to put it out there, on the two ebikes I've owned, I've cured battery rattle with a screwdriver. The electrical contacts end of the battery tube is usually fixed in place. The other end isn't but is in my experience, fixed in place by a couple of bolts on a movable bracket, so by loosening those bolts, shiftng the bracket towards the motor a couple of mm I have by a process of trial & error been able to fix my battery in place tightly & rattle free.

On my Focus, for example, the upper battery bracket is fixed by two bolts on the underside of the downtube that also secure the knock block & so are very easy to access.

There is a trade off between stopping rattles & having the battery locate in place to the point that it becomes hard to remove but I've always managed to find the sweet spot. A couple of quid is nothing in the scheme of things but there are options other than spending money.

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
Just to put it out there, on the two ebikes I've owned, I've cured battery rattle with a screwdriver. The electrical contacts end of the battery tube is usually fixed in place. The other end isn't but is in my experience, fixed in place by a couple of bolts on a movable bracket, so by loosening those bolts, shiftng the bracket towards the motor a couple of mm I have by a process of trial & error been able to fix my battery in place tightly & rattle free.

On my Focus, for example, the upper battery bracket is fixed by two bolts on the underside of the downtube that also secure the knock block & so are very easy to access.

There is a trade off between stopping rattles & having the battery locate in place to the point that it becomes hard to remove but I've always managed to find the sweet spot. A couple of quid is nothing in the scheme of things but there are options other than spending money.
took mine into the lbs after it fell out on the trail. They did it in seconds. We put it in, nice and snug, unlocked it to the first click which worked fine but didn't take it all the way out. Got home only to find i couldn't get the battery out.
I take it out to charge, for security and to reduce overall weight for slinging in the back of the car. He hadn't shown me what he'd done, so back to the shop to ease it off a bit.... Been fine ever since though 👍

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
Having had a quick look around and finding them all sold out in the uk ( for some reason 🤔 ) I'll give this a go with a bit of old neoprene from a wetsuit I've got lying around - thanks 😁👍
Had a go.... To be perfectly honest, came out a little on the large side....

How do i make it fit daddy?? 🤔
PXL_20220905_082133105.jpg

( Could use a hammer - that always works 😉 )

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
In stock in the Bosch shop on Amazon. There were six left just now (now five presumably as I just ordered one).

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
Thanks but I'm "onamission" now, with the wetsuit - been wondering what to do with it. just got to get the template the right size first 🫣😂
Ah well, OCD was never my strong point.....

Fits though and seems to do the job ( on a unit i never noticed rattling anyway 😂 )

Amazon here I come, I guess....

PXL_20220906_172507501.jpg
PXL_20220906_172903339.jpg

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
First ride today with the damper fitted. Amazed at how quiet my bike was. This should absolutely be standard fitment on Trek Rails

Oupy

Feb 22, 2022
Australia
Just some feedback on this, I've had the damper pad fitted for about 3 rides on a 2022 Rail 9.8 and all seemed well. Then on the 4th ride all of a sudden the bike started turning itself off when going over choppy terrain (and mostly going uphill).

I removed the pad and have since had another ride with no issues. Could be a coincidence, but i think @Paul Mac also had a similar issue after some time using the pad.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I think the trick is to try and arrest the movement of the battery. The pad alone (for me) didn’t do this, the battery mounts needed moving closer together by a significant amount to arrest all the movement.

If your bike is switching off, the battery is still moving.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
@Oupy does your bike have the alignment plate fitted? I have a 2020 alloy without the plate. Out on a ride a couple of days ago and the power cut out twice. I want to keep the damper though because it's made my bike so much quieter. I'm going to try adjusting the bottom mount closer in as @Dave.B suggests, I think this should fix the problem

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
@Philly G yes mine has the plate fitted as stock (2022 model). Did your power cut out going uphill or downhill?
Power cuts out at random times, on almost flat ground, strange...has never cut out while climbing and not going downhill over chunk either...happened twice again today. I thought the purpose of the plate was to get everything in perfect alignment and prevent movement? Is there any adjustment so you can move the battery mounts closer together?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles